Jump to content
cmadruga

Shadow of the Beast demake experiment

Recommended Posts

20 hours ago, skywaffle said:

I have been tinkering with it still.  Progress is slow, but just focused on making the engine suited to loading different area types and revise the scrolling routines.

I've added a blimp that flies behind the clouds on the overworld, and also started on making the tree dungeon, with parallax effects, and the ability to climb up or down ladders.  Also kicking works now.  It's very far from a game still, so please keep expectations low.   I'll post a video when things get more polished.

 

To cycle between the two areas, press 1 on controller 1 (7 on the numeric keypad for Jzintv users)

 

I attached a ROM and source for those interested and some screenshots.

shot0026.gif.8cabba7cc67ebfbeaed22086ed7a82b5.gifshot0027.gif.f8d56cd5c7eefaf44c2d1bb87eed152c.gifshot0024.gif.0a05476895dd1ba418c5a932e38f0013.gifshot0025.gif.9db7d71b7e9f2b737e774307d29ca067.gif

sotb9.rom 14.06 kB · 6 downloads sotb9.bas 35.38 kB · 3 downloads

Awesome!

You should fix position and speed of the Zeppelin in order to have a full ilusion of parallax.

Now it moves independently by the scrolling position. Just subtracting a fraction of the X position of the screen should fic

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some more updates:

Forest area added to overworld

Overworld area now can redefine grams 16-48 based on location, so there is some smoother transition from mountains to forest as opposed to walking out of one area to another.

Player can enter tree dungeon from overworld, although it is a temporary solution until I can make something more dynamic to support multiple areas.

Player can fall off ledges, although there is no wall collision currently and no death animation still

Blimp position is slightly altered walking left or right

There were some bugs involving climbing ladders while turning or jumping that are resolved.

 

There is still plenty to do.  Map compression is looking like a necessary thing to look into, as the dungeons are a bit larger than I remembered.  Lots of work to be done with enemies still, and spawn points for specific enemy types, etc.  I also need to spend time cleaning up the code more and consolidating various player movements and actions.

 

I am still unsure what to do about music, the Master System music file is a bit more complex than I expected.  I wish there was a way to extract the music from the Lynx version, as it sounds pretty nice.  If anyone feels up to taking a stab at doing something with music that would be fantastic.

 

 

sotb10.bas sotb10.rom

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Comments:

 

Transition to trees and gram redefinition works very smoothly. Great job!

BTW, trees are really well done.

On the platform part, it is a little difficult to get the correct alignment to go up/down stairs, but that should be easy to fix. 

 

Speed at which you are progressing is impressive. Keep at it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, cmadruga said:

Comments:

 

Transition to trees and gram redefinition works very smoothly. Great job!

BTW, trees are really well done.

On the platform part, it is a little difficult to get the correct alignment to go up/down stairs, but that should be easy to fix. 

 

Speed at which you are progressing is impressive. Keep at it!

Thank you!  It is starting to take shape.   As far as the ladder detection, I have logic that moves the character towards a ladder when pressing up or down if a ladder is one space ahead.  It does not check behind though.  I will look into trying to improve it more though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, skywaffle said:

If anyone feels up to taking a stab at doing something with music that would be fantastic.

I made a super fast attempt at converting the SID music (using SID2MIDI and its text output) but the result sounds like a ROM that has been out in the rain for the past 20 years and suffered a bad case of bit rot. Not posting the results yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Progress has been slow.  Most work has been trying to rework routines to be more dynamic across different areas.  Some minor things like climbing up and down ladders is improved (the character will turn around and walk towards a ladder now when up or down is pressed, if the character is beyond the ladder slightly), as well as some collision routines for the character with the environment (the previous version walls could be walked through).   I've also been reworking the GRAM redefining code to allow that big statue in the dungeon to load in.

 

Still a ways to go; I need to figure out how I want to handle enemy and event tables, as well as map compression before I get too deep into it.  I also really need to sit down and actually try playing the real game.  I've only really been watching YouTube videos of it for reference.

 

 

2020-05-04.png

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, pvmpkin said:

this is looking incredible—making my 2600 port look bad !

Here, fixed that for you ;-)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, skywaffle said:

I also really need to sit down and actually try playing the real game.  I've only really been watching YouTube videos of it for reference.

You're welcome to ask me anything about it, if I know, I've been doing some research into the various versions for a while.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, pvmpkin said:

You're welcome to ask me anything about it, if I know, I've been doing some research into the various versions for a while.

Well, mostly I am just needing to play to better understand the level layouts and also the various control nuances (like not being able to jump off of ladders, or jump onto them.)  I played some of the Lynx version over the weekend just to get a better understanding of controls.  That version though even has a lot of gameplay and design differences from the rest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, skywaffle said:

Well, mostly I am just needing to play to better understand the level layouts and also the various control nuances (like not being able to jump off of ladders, or jump onto them.)  I played some of the Lynx version over the weekend just to get a better understanding of controls.  That version though even has a lot of gameplay and design differences from the rest.

Yeah it does. It was the first one I owned and completed for myself and I was surprised later what the differences where from the original, especially the bosses, kinda unhappy about it considering how great that version is. The inclusion of ropes and independently moving platforms was interesting. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, pvmpkin said:

Yeah it does. It was the first one I owned and completed for myself and I was surprised later what the differences where from the original, especially the bosses, kinda unhappy about it considering how great that version is. The inclusion of ropes and independently moving platforms was interesting. 

It's the only one I ever played and beat, and it's easily one of the best side scrolling games I have played on the Lynx.  I think overall it seems like they tried to improve upon the prior versions and ports.  I would imagine cartridge size limits restricted some things though.  Sad to see that there was a flying section at the end of the game that was omitted.  I never even knew about that until starting this project.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, skywaffle said:

It's the only one I ever played and beat, and it's easily one of the best side scrolling games I have played on the Lynx.  I think overall it seems like they tried to improve upon the prior versions and ports.  I would imagine cartridge size limits restricted some things though.  Sad to see that there was a flying section at the end of the game that was omitted.  I never even knew about that until starting this project.

I completely agree, and I had no idea there was a flying section until I got to that part on the Amiga. Was wild. Plan to write about that version soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, pvmpkin said:

Screenshot 2020-05-04 at 22.14.28.png

Wow, you can still tell what it is.  I find it interesting that on your port, you're able to cram as much as you have into 4kb.  My concept is now weighing 26kb and it is still far from being a playable game.  I am not at all familiar with programming on the 2600, but just wondering if you were intending to keep it that small, or if it was more of a limitation without resorting to bank switching.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, skywaffle said:

Wow, you can still tell what it is.  I find it interesting that on your port, you're able to cram as much as you have into 4kb.  My concept is now weighing 26kb and it is still far from being a playable game.  I am not at all familiar with programming on the 2600, but just wondering if you were intending to keep it that small, or if it was more of a limitation without resorting to bank switching.

I am surprised honestly—trying to keep it all in 4K as that is the size of a standard 2600 game and resist the temptation to look into bank switching !

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't done much lately with it.  Most of my time every day has gone back into Intellivania.  Intellivania was done, but I keep going back and revisiting, rewriting, optimizing, and adjusting parts to more closely mimic Castlevania on the NES.  As far as Shadow of the Beast goes, I had made a dungeon map compression that uses groups of 6x6 tiles pieced together, but I had a ways to go with making the first dungeon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, skywaffle said:

I haven't done much lately with it.  Most of my time every day has gone back into Intellivania.  Intellivania was done, but I keep going back and revisiting, rewriting, optimizing, and adjusting parts to more closely mimic Castlevania on the NES.  As far as Shadow of the Beast goes, I had made a dungeon map compression that uses groups of 6x6 tiles pieced together, but I had a ways to go with making the first dungeon.

That's cool, I wondered, it was looking great !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@pvmpkin Congrats on releasing Legacy of the Beast for the 2600 as well!

 

Found this video, looks really cool.

 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, skywaffle said:

I haven't done much lately with it.  Most of my time every day has gone back into Intellivania.  Intellivania was done, but I keep going back and revisiting, rewriting, optimizing, and adjusting parts to more closely mimic Castlevania on the NES.  As far as Shadow of the Beast goes, I had made a dungeon map compression that uses groups of 6x6 tiles pieced together, but I had a ways to go with making the first dungeon.

Could you please clone yourself?

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, cmadruga said:

@pvmpkin Congrats on releasing Legacy of the Beast for the 2600 as well!

 

Found this video, looks really cool.

 

 

Thank you ! I am proud of it. This is an old video though.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...