IGNORED

2020 Sega Saturn options:ODE/MODE/Satiator/Fenrir/Rhea/Phoebe/OTHERS?

So 2020 is shaping up to be the Sega Saturn year like 2019 was for the Genesis/MegaDrive. 

The newly announced MODE in my own opinion seems like the best option  from menu options, compatibility and everything except price compared to other options. Plus, the MegaSD is the best thing ever so I think the Saturn/Dreamcast solution will be legendary in the same way. Still, I think a healthy discussion of ALL options available to the Sega Saturn (ok, and some Dreamcast talk) would be cool.  If you but a Saturn and have ZERO games, the MODE seems like the best thing since sliced bread. IF you have a huge games library, an ODE is not for you perhaps.  I'd like to think that the MODE basically makes the Rhea, Phoebe and [official] GDemu] all but null and void. I have a GDemu clone which is fine but probably would prefer a second MODE for dreamcast but need to test and watch reviews.

I am sad to say, but Professor Abrasive and the Satiatior needs to be released YESTERDAY if it will have a chance for relevance at all.  It IS cool by design in that you don't undo your CD drive, but an ODE option will be my Saturn future. No disrespect to Professor Abrasive, but I thought his work would BE the future of the Sega Saturn. I am surprised that Fenrir and TerraOnion was able to compete so quickly. 

SO, what of the Fenrir?  Availability and feature range will determine its success. Once you get to the $100 price range, I am sure there are plenty that will pay the extra for the quality and feature rich aspects of the MODE.

Edited by seastalker

I have to agree with the OP, I already ordered my MODE, I was waiting on the Satiator (stupidest name ever), I was backing Prof. Abrasive on Patreon.

I think the maker of the Phoebe / Rhea is a total moron - I think it could be handle much better than it was and it brought the scumbags out to resell the units. (I was happy when the GDemu got cloned).

Fenrir was an alternative to the P/R but still is a kinda raw device. I am sure it will work fine and is a great budget alternative but, having only a 21 pin version and limited run will keep it in the slow lane.

I dont think that TerraOnion is the best company in the world either, they have made some mistakes but do always try to correct them, (bad boards for SSD3 first release, the shipping debacle with the MegaSD etc) but the products are solid, well backed and STAY in production! 

The MODE sure does look nice though, ease install, multiple interfacing option for the storage media (I ordered a 1TB SSD for mine), nice looking menu system.

So in the end I am looking forward to getting my MODE, installing it and getting some Saturn 2D shooters going.

I have been meaning to get a Saturn for about a year and also considering getting a Dreamcast, so this is good. People do not like Terraonion for various reasons, but since they seem to be the only option that will actually have a Saturn ODE in stock for more than a few seconds, it looks like that's the best choice.

I love people that are "well, 200$ is to expensive" - have you looked at the price of Saturn games?

In the Hunt (one of my favs) is 200$ for a complete copy - One damn game, you are going to get quick loading, the entire library, a nice menu, full compatibility and no disc rot or damage to deal with?

• Like 3

14 hours ago, c0op3r said:

I think the maker of the Phoebe / Rhea is a total moron - I think it could be handle much better than it was and it brought the scumbags out to resell the units. (I was happy when the GDemu got cloned).

This was one of the main reasons why I went with the MODE instead of waiting on the Rhea/Phoebe. I think Deunan's ordering system is completely bonkers (gotta be there at a *very* precise time or else!) and I find his attitude completely off-putting, he seems to regard customer service more as an annoyance going from his blog posts. I have a GDEMU (albeit a clone since the real deal is near impossible to get), and the way it deals with disc images isn't exactly elegant. The SD Card Maker software does alleviate that for the most part though.

I did consider the Fenrir but compatibility isn't quite there and it only works with older revision Saturns. The latter isn't much of a problem for me since I recently got my unmodified model 1 Saturn back in my possession, but there are a few multi-disc games that I'd like to try and the Fenrir isn't compatible with those yet. I'm sure that will all change with time and the guy behind it seems pretty nice. The Satiator seems really cool and I think that will be the one to get for most people, if and when it ever comes out.

Granted, TO aren't exactly saints but I've been very pleased with my SSD3 and Mega SD and hopefully the MODE will be the same way.

• Like 1

I got in on the second batch of Fenrir for my VA0 Saturn, so once it arrives I'll have a 3-way PseudoSaturn cart (the one with extra flash RAM so it works as a memory card along with 1MB and 4MB RAM) for sale before long. 

I was backing Prof Abrasive at a dollar a month, but as soon as the first batch of Fenrir was available (sold out in minutes) I canceled because I knew I was done flushing money down the toilet. He's milked that thing for four years. If it ships, that's great, but until it does, it's pretty much dead to me. Rhea and Phoebe have always been unicorns. Between MODE and Fenrir, there are now two ODEs for the Saturn that people might actually be able to get this year. That's great for Saturn fans. 

Edited by derFunkenstein
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ApolloBoy said:

This was one of the main reasons why I went with the MODE instead of waiting on the Rhea/Phoebe. I think Deunan's ordering system is completely bonkers (gotta be there at a *very* precise time or else!) and I find his attitude completely off-putting, he seems to regard customer service more as an annoyance going from his blog posts. I have a GDEMU (albeit a clone since the real deal is near impossible to get), and the way it deals with disc images isn't exactly elegant. The SD Card Maker software does alleviate that for the most part though.

I did consider the Fenrir but compatibility isn't quite there and it only works with older revision Saturns. The latter isn't much of a problem for me since I recently got my unmodified model 1 Saturn back in my possession, but there are a few multi-disc games that I'd like to try and the Fenrir isn't compatible with those yet. I'm sure that will all change with time and the guy behind it seems pretty nice. The Satiator seems really cool and I think that will be the one to get for most people, if and when it ever comes out.

Granted, TO aren't exactly saints but I've been very pleased with my SSD3 and Mega SD and hopefully the MODE will be the same way.

No TerraOnion has done some retardeds, but they always try to fix it and they keep making the products so even now if you want a SSSD3 you can get one, if this was Retro-GameTech, Citrus3k, or worse Woozle that thing would be long gone.  I totally understand the not knowing how many you will need and not wanting to manufacture too many and being left with hundreds of unsold units(highly unlikely), just take preorders and order in batches based on the preorders.  Stop making tiny amounts and then leaking them out over and over on eBay and other places.  These people make incredible devices and have shit for management and business skills!

2 hours ago, derFunkenstein said:

I got in on the second batch of Fenrir for my VA0 Saturn, so once it arrives I'll have a 3-way PseudoSaturn cart (the one with extra flash RAM so it works as a memory card along with 1MB and 4MB RAM) for sale before long. 

I was backing Prof Abrasive at a dollar a month, but as soon as the first batch of Fenrir was available (sold out in minutes) I canceled because I knew I was done flushing money down the toilet. He's milked that thing for four years. If it ships, that's great, but until it does, it's pretty much dead to me. Rhea and Phoebe have always been unicorns. Between MODE and Fenrir, there are now two ODEs for the Saturn that people might actually be able to get this year. That's great for Saturn fans. 

I too was supporting Prof. Abrasive and the device is / was looking great, but like mentioned before, business skills, and well that ship has sailed for Prof. Abrasive, I pulled the plug on my Patroen yesterday, and if you go look at the comments on his last post you will see many others are doing the same thing.  One of the early things you learn in marketing is timing and building a desire in your market, but teasing it for years, to have someone else steal you pent-up customer base away, is a bit of justice.

I am sure that guy will loose 50% of his backing in the next 2 months, and I am also sure that if the thing comes to like it will only sell 50% of what it would have or less Satiator also the dumbest name for a device ever - stupid marketing.  I have to admit the Phoebe/Rhea are great names!  To bad guys a douche' bag.

3 hours ago, DragonGrafx-16 said:

I just plan to get a Psuedo Saturn cart at some point.

This still requires you to burn games, and that your optical drive stays working in good order for a disc that has a less reflective surface then the drive is looking for.  In the end you might end up spending the same money and have a less reliable system - only with spread out payments and taking up more space.

I am not trying to be a uber TerraOnion fan here, I am just happy to finally have an option for my Saturn, the only retro system in my retro cabinet without one, I just want to play games.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ubersaurus said:

I got a MODE for my busted VA2 Dreamcast but still plan on holding out for a Satiator for the ease of installation. Not having to crack open a Saturn is a huge selling point.

I am kinda with you on this, if/when it does come out and I dont have to jump through hoops and its under 200$ I too will most likely get one also.

I have the Skeleton Saturn and would like to keep it complete. 

The only think that might make a difference to me is if someone makes a nice 3D printed insert for the Saturn/ MODE combo, then I would most likely not care anymore.

I had a really nice one printed up for my Dreamcast / GDemu setup and I am very happy with the aesthetics of that setup. 

9 hours ago, c0op3r said:

I love people that are "well, 200$ is to expensive" - have you looked at the price of Saturn games?

In the Hunt (one of my favs) is 200$ for a complete copy - One damn game, you are going to get quick loading, the entire library, a nice menu, full compatibility and no disc rot or damage to deal with?

or a grand for panzer dragoon saga, or 200 for shining force 3, or 200 shinobi legion or 200, like 20 other games seriously 200 dollars to have the game readily available on real hardware and not needing to use that ever aging cd drive.  yes please I'll take that

same reason I bought an mega sd

4 minutes ago, masschamber said:

or a grand for panzer dragoon saga, or 200 for shining force 3, or 200 shinobi legion or 200, like 20 other games seriously 200 dollars to have the game readily available on real hardware and not needing to use that ever aging cd drive.  yes please I'll take that

same reason I bought an mega sd

Same Same - for me it was Snatcher on Genesis CD and now MegaSD - plus I save a massive amount of space with the MegaSD over a Real Sega CD.

2 hours ago, c0op3r said:

No TerraOnion has done some retardeds, but they always try to fix it and they keep making the products so even now if you want a SSSD3 you can get one, if this was Retro-GameTech, Citrus3k, or worse Woozle that thing would be long gone.  I totally understand the not knowing how many you will need and not wanting to manufacture too many and being left with hundreds of unsold units(highly unlikely), just take preorders and order in batches based on the preorders.  Stop making tiny amounts and then leaking them out over and over on eBay and other places.  These people make incredible devices and have shit for management and business skills!

I too was supporting Prof. Abrasive and the device is / was looking great, but like mentioned before, business skills, and well that ship has sailed for Prof. Abrasive, I pulled the plug on my Patroen yesterday, and if you go look at the comments on his last post you will see many others are doing the same thing.  One of the early things you learn in marketing is timing and building a desire in your market, but teasing it for years, to have someone else steal you pent-up customer base away, is a bit of justice.

I am sure that guy will loose 50% of his backing in the next 2 months, and I am also sure that if the thing comes to like it will only sell 50% of what it would have or less Satiator also the dumbest name for a device ever - stupid marketing.  I have to admit the Phoebe/Rhea are great names!  To bad guys a douche' bag.

This still requires you to burn games, and that your optical drive stays working in good order for a disc that has a less reflective surface then the drive is looking for.  In the end you might end up spending the same money and have a less reliable system - only with spread out payments and taking up more space.

I am not trying to be a uber TerraOnion fan here, I am just happy to finally have an option for my Saturn, the only retro system in my retro cabinet without one, I just want to play games.

I have like a stack of 200 CD-Rs I'm fine with burning games, a Psuedo Saturn cart is like only $25 on ebay.. and it will be fine for me as I just want to play some shmups and not much else really. 

Edited by DragonGrafx-16

I already have a GDEmu clone and a Phantom modchip for my Saturn, but this is still pretty exciting and tempting to me. I think any one of those options coupled with a power supply mod can easily resurrect many "broken" systems. I'm just wishing those wireless Dreamcast controllers would hurry up and get here. 

12 hours ago, c0op3r said:

Silence and slow going for months and suddenly TODAY a week after MODE was announced and Fenrir became available, he finally has an update saying that production has began. That's just too coincidental for my tastes. 

1603459301_ScreenShot2020-04-22at8_02_28AM.png.7caa5c770b6be46ee5d7d227519fedea.png

Honestly, the ability to do either real discs or an ODE in the same system is a great idea, but the guy just spent years treating it like a hobby despite raising thousands of dollars each month on Patreon. I have a white Model 2 with a dead optical drive sitting in a closet. Maybe IF the Satiator becomes widely available, I'll check if it still works, and put one in. 

Edited by derFunkenstein

2 hours ago, derFunkenstein said:

Silence and slow going for months and suddenly TODAY a week after MODE was announced and Fenrir became available, he finally has an update saying that production has began. That's just too coincidental for my tastes. 

Snipped out to make smaller quote

Honestly, the ability to do either real discs or an ODE in the same system is a great idea, but the guy just spent years treating it like a hobby despite raising thousands of dollars each month on Patreon. I have a white Model 2 with a dead optical drive sitting in a closet. Maybe IF the Satiator becomes widely available, I'll check if it still works, and put one in. 

I agree, I posted on the Patreon the other day that the money was going to dry up in 2 months time, people are not going to keep paying him to 'develop' a system that exist in 3 other forms already.

My take away from his newest post is that he has not really learned that 'the ship has left the port' (so to speak) in that he wants to make a small run of 100 units first, why?  There was already 20 beta units made shipped and tested for 3+months, what was that for?  There is no need to play games with another 'small' run.  In my view minimum order right now should of been the 500 units.

Sometimes you cant fix stupid.

Just now, derFunkenstein said:

the other shoe is yet to drop, too, because if they're being assembled in the USA they are NOT going to be cheap. Expect MODE-like pricing with less utility since it doesn't also work on the Dreamcast. 

Good Point!

• 2 weeks later...

Looking back on it, I can't believe I gave Abrasive $20/month for almost 2 years.  I'm glad I was able to get a Rhea and forget about all this Saturn ODE madness.  It seems like there should be some kind of rule against using Patreon the way he's using it.  He's basically taking money and providing nothing in return.  The people who are still supporting him should be pressing hard right now for why he's dragging his feet the way he is.  Two new options have dropped this year with very little fanfare leading up to them.  Put up or shut up, no more excuses.  I would still be interested in the Satiator because my spare Saturn gathers dust right now because it's a USA model and all my physical games are Japanese.  My Japanese model 1 has the Rhea inside of it, so I can't use any of my actual Saturn games now.

12 hours ago, zetastrike said:

Looking back on it, I can't believe I gave Abrasive $20/month for almost 2 years.  I'm glad I was able to get a Rhea and forget about all this Saturn ODE madness.  It seems like there should be some kind of rule against using Patreon the way he's using it.  He's basically taking money and providing nothing in return.  The people who are still supporting him should be pressing hard right now for why he's dragging his feet the way he is.  Two new options have dropped this year with very little fanfare leading up to them.  Put up or shut up, no more excuses.  I would still be interested in the Satiator because my spare Saturn gathers dust right now because it's a USA model and all my physical games are Japanese.  My Japanese model 1 has the Rhea inside of it, so I can't use any of my actual Saturn games now.

Holy cow.....no wonder why he hasn't released it. This guy must have been raking in the cash and once the Satiator releases that will all go away. 

• Sad 1

32 minutes ago, Black_Tiger said:

If you want quality cdrs, which are getting harder and harder to find, you'll quickly hit the price of a MODE.

I have a huge stack of Sony CD-Rs... so I'm good. I find huge stacks of them at thrift stores (when things open up again I'll get some more). I just want to play some Saturn shmups so I don't want or need access to the entire library, plus I still want to be able to play the real copies of games that I own. I already have the Psuedo Saturn cart anyway.