IGNORED

2020 Sega Saturn options:ODE/MODE/Satiator/Fenrir/Rhea/Phoebe/OTHERS?

18 hours ago, DragonGrafx-16 said:

I have a huge stack of Sony CD-Rs... so I'm good. I find huge stacks of them at thrift stores (when things open up again I'll get some more). I just want to play some Saturn shmups so I don't want or need access to the entire library, plus I still want to be able to play the real copies of games that I own. I already have the Psuedo Saturn cart anyway. 

Then you're much better off sticking to cdrs and getting a more authentic experience. Just try to buy an old 4MB Action Replay upgraded to Pseudo Saturn instead of one of the new carts.

1 hour ago, Black_Tiger said:

Then you're much better off sticking to cdrs and getting a more authentic experience. Just try to buy an old 4MB Action Replay upgraded to Pseudo Saturn instead of one of the new carts.

I already have one lol.. 

.20200429_191102.thumb.jpg.28e56c8c74c73efd2efef2f76e1c3746.jpg

Don't mind the mess, been a bit sick... I'll clean up my setup soon. lol

Edited by DragonGrafx-16
  • Like 1

So yeah, this month I am absolutely buying either a Skeleton Saturn or a Dreamcast. Maybe the Sakura Taisen Dreamcast because what the hell. Either way, I am absolutely buying both the Skeleton Saturn and the Dreamcast within the next 17 days ~ 3 months, although I am having great difficulty deciding which one I want first.

MODE won't be shipping for a while, but so far it hasn't sold out yet. I am considering getting the consoles later and getting 2 MODEs first so I can avoid the risk of them running out of stock. Terraonion sometimes has trouble keeping stuff in stock, like the SSDS3, which sells out extremely quickly and is rarely in stock, but I don't remember the MegaSD being out of stock. I've never seen anyone complain about it, at least. Meanwhile, there are always people complaining about the lack of the SSDS3. Both the SSDS3 (I have one from the newest batch from November) and the MegaSD are very good and I enjoy both of them, so I imagine that this new thing will be good as well.

Edited by Steven Pendleton
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Steven Pendleton said:

So yeah, this month I am absolutely buying either a Skeleton Saturn or a Dreamcast. Maybe the Sakura Taisen Dreamcast because what the hell. Either way, I am absolutely buying both the Skeleton Saturn and the Dreamcast within the next 17 days ~ 3 months, although I am having great difficulty deciding which one I want first.

I like you got the skeleton Saturn, I have had it for about a year waiting for the Satiator, I was funding toward that with the Patreon.

But the night the MODE was announced I placed my order, I dont know when or if the Satiator will be released, but I know the MODE will be.  For the Dream Cast I went with a GDemu (clone) and set it up with all the nice 3D printed parts.

8 minutes ago, c0op3r said:

I like you got the skeleton Saturn, I have had it for about a year waiting for the Satiator, I was funding toward that with the Patreon.

But the night the MODE was announced I placed my order, I dont know when or if the Satiator will be released, but I know the MODE will be.  For the Dream Cast I went with a GDemu (clone) and set it up with all the nice 3D printed parts.

Yeah, the Skeleton Saturn is cool. It's so cool that it tells you that it's cool! It's easy to find in nice condition, as well, and I see them frequently in town. They sell out quickly, though. They usually go for about 23000 yen each with no box, but I have been prioritizing Japanese Mega Drive games since Japanese MD is my favourite console ever. Japanese MD games are expensive, so I've been putting the Skeleton Saturn off for some time to focus on MD instead. It shows up in various stores in town, but usually only 1 at a time in only 1 store and it is almost always gone the next time I go back. There are 2 V-Saturns in Trader right now, though.

As for the Sakura Taisen Dreamcast, I have strange feeling that I saw one of them very recently in town somewhere, but I forgot where. Maybe I'll find it again when I go back to Akiba. Those turn an EXTREMELY nasty yellow color, so they are more difficult to find in good condition.

2 minutes ago, c0op3r said:

I got a replacement case for my Dreamcast that looks like the skeleton Saturn.

I also back the clear replacement case for the PCEngine, so I can have some interesting units in my display/cabinet.

I saw that replacement Dreamcast case recently, and I did also buy the clear PC Engine case. I will probably use it on my CoreGrafx, but I might get a white PC Engine just to put the clear shell on it. Unfortunately, they are not making a SuperGrafx variant, which is too bad because my SuperGrafx is kind of beat up. It was the only SuperGrafx that I have been able to find in the past 8 months, so I bought it without hesitation. They are not exactly common, so it was either buy it then or miss my chance to get a cheap SuperGrafx and pay over double the price to get one on ebay or something.

1 minute ago, Steven Pendleton said:

I saw that replacement Dreamcast case recently, and I did also buy the clear PC Engine case. I will probably use it on my CoreGrafx, but I might get a white PC Engine just to put the clear shell on it. Unfortunately, they are not making a SuperGrafx variant, which is too bad because my SuperGrafx is kind of beat up. It was the only SuperGrafx that I have been able to find in the past 8 months, so I bought it without hesitation. They are not exactly common, so it was either buy it then or miss my chance to get a cheap SuperGrafx and pay over double the price to get one on ebay or something.

Actually I am going to use mine on a CoreGraphx II also w/ the SSSD3 on it - should be a neat setup.

Once I get the MODE (which I already bought a 1Tb SSD for) I will have an O.D.E. for each of my machines that can use one, and some sort of Flashcart for the ones that use those.

12 minutes ago, c0op3r said:

Actually I am going to use mine on a CoreGraphx II also w/ the SSSD3 on it - should be a neat setup.

Once I get the MODE (which I already bought a 1Tb SSD for) I will have an O.D.E. for each of my machines that can use one, and some sort of Flashcart for the ones that use those.

I have my SSDS3 on my SuperGrafx, but I'm going to put the SSDS3 on whatever system I put the clear case on to see what it looks like. Of course, then I'm going to rip it off and put it right back on the SuperGrafx to actually play games. I do have 2 IFUs but only 1 CoreGrafx and 1 CD-ROM2, so I am thinking about getting a second PC Engine (for the clear case) and a second CD-ROM2 to put in that extra IFU so I can have something cool.

I wonder what the differences in loading times between solid state media and a HDD on MODE are like. I don't really see much of a point in getting a regular HDD when SSD prices are so cheap now while also being faster and more reliable. Still, I'm sure someone will use a regular HDD with the thing. I'm also not considering using an SD card since those are also pretty expensive for their capacity when you can use a SSD and get more storage for not a whole lot more money. Unlike all of the weird people in the world, I don't see any point at all in putting the system's entire library on my MegaSD's SD card and I won't be doing that for the Saturn or Dreamcast, so I don't need huge storage capacity.

I pre-ordered a Fenrir and it's currently in the mail. I chose it because of price and availability (a device that actually shipped!), and the compatibility is actually very high right now if you look at the list. The developer is cranking out firmware updates left and right, which are fixing game compatibility too.

I think there has been some confusion on its multi-disc support. It fully supports multi-disc games right now, however only if it doesn't require you to swap mid-game. The games that have you save before swapping work just fine. I wish I had a list I could pull to see which make you swap mid-game, however it is a planned feature the developer is supposed to be adding. It also has a wifi module which once working should be interesting, maybe FTP support?

I also follow and am a patron for the Satiator, but like you guys, I don't know, he may be too late to the game here. I may still pick one up but we'll see. Thanks for coming to my TED talk.

On 5/12/2020 at 1:42 PM, need2burn said:

I pre-ordered a Fenrir and it's currently in the mail. I chose it because of price and availability (a device that actually shipped!), and the compatibility is actually very high right now if you look at the list. The developer is cranking out firmware updates left and right, which are fixing game compatibility too.

I think there has been some confusion on its multi-disc support. It fully supports multi-disc games right now, however only if it doesn't require you to swap mid-game. The games that have you save before swapping work just fine. I wish I had a list I could pull to see which make you swap mid-game, however it is a planned feature the developer is supposed to be adding. It also has a wifi module which once working should be interesting, maybe FTP support?

I also follow and am a patron for the Satiator, but like you guys, I don't know, he may be too late to the game here. I may still pick one up but we'll see. Thanks for coming to my TED talk.

The most important game to me swaps mid-game: Tengai Makyou The Apocalypse IV.

Bitd using the ST Key I got from EB caused the game to freeze during the swap. So I went back to the shop in a Japanese mall where I bought the game, explained the issue and asked if I could use their region modded Saturn to load my save and play through to the next save spot.

They were very friendly and let me do it. I kept that save file for years, even after I had the same shop mod my Saturn to be Japanese region. I uploaded the save file to the Sega.net site so others could play through on North American syatems.

I also bought Lunar SSS and Grandia from that same store. I believe that Grandia swaps discs the same way. I don't remember for sure now whether Panzer Dragoon Saga does as well or if it was over shadowed by the extreme copy protection that prevents you from playing at all if an unofficial cart is in the cart slot.

Edited by Black_Tiger
fix spelling

• 2 weeks later...

I got my Patreon update that the shell mold for the Satiator is finalized. that is nice, but really effects nothing.

What I found super funny was that RetroRGB who is usually right on the Retro Gaming news did not bother to post a blurb about it for 5 days.  I am not knocking RetroRGB, I am making the point that I think no one cares anymore.  Where on the other hand I have seen TerraOnion has post 13 video on YouTube of the MODE working with the Saturn and the Dreamcast and different intros running flawlessly.

I personally am still watching the Satiator but really only at this point to see what price point it comes out at, I already ordered my MODE and have a 1TB SSD sitting here waiting on it.

c0op3r

I understand the TerraOnion MODE will allow for a hard drive. Anyone know off hand how a HD will interface with the MODE? 

-Where would you plug it in?

-Could a HD be internal or would you have to mod the system itself to accommodate for an external HD.

I have yet to find any info on this, and TerraOnion doesn't seem to show how this could be done, but only indicates that it CAN be done.

56 minutes ago, 7800 said:

I understand the TerraOnion MODE will allow for a hard drive. Anyone know off hand how a HD will interface with the MODE? 

-Where would you plug it in?

-Could a HD be internal or would you have to mod the system itself to accommodate for an external HD.

I have yet to find any info on this, and TerraOnion doesn't seem to show how this could be done, but only indicates that it CAN be done.

Like this

5 minutes ago, Black_Tiger said:

What I'm curious about is if the MODE is physically designed to make it easy line out a cable to hook an internal hard drive to your computer. So you can add new hacks, translations, etc without opening up your Saturn again.

Does not look that way, for the HD.  BUTTTTTT - you could remote the MicroSD Card to add other games.

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/22/2020 at 10:02 AM, ubersaurus said:

I got a MODE for my busted VA2 Dreamcast but still plan on holding out for a Satiator for the ease of installation. Not having to crack open a Saturn is a huge selling point.

Old thread, old post, but I just found this post on Terraonion's forum now. I wasn't sure if anyone had mentioned this before, but it seems that MODE does not support the VA2 Dreamcast.

https://forums.terraonion.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=1616#p8608

Has anyone here preordered a MODE?  I hope TO figured out something better than the donkey cart they used last summer to slowly trickle out the Mega SD preorders.  The Andorran customs is extremely slow and they could at best process 14 packages a day.  For that reason I'm waiting to see if Stoneage Gamer stocks them in the future.

You're getting a more polished though more expensive product in MODE vs. Fenrir but both seem to be able to run most games fine, which is what you want at the end of the day.  I'd say once MODE begins shipping, it may or may not be as readily available as the Fenrir.  The Phoebe/Rhea at this point I would not consider in the least.  Outdated, obtuse menus, and never available.  The Satiator is definitely coming, I really feel it is, and it likely has a long waiting list of people who are still looking for it.  The menu is more advanced than Fenrir, though I think it will be open source.  It's the one product that doesn't require you to remove the disc drive, which is a plus for many collectors. 

I would say that Fenrir gets the nod in terms of developer responding to issues, as it's just him, and he's devoting his time to it.  Terra Onion are notorious for being problematic on fixes, and honestly, Prof. Abrasive has been so disconnected publicly that I kind of fear he'll go AWOL at times when he's needed most.  Already SIX weeks since his last update. 

2 hours ago, zetastrike said:

Has anyone here preordered a MODE?  I hope TO figured out something better than the donkey cart they used last summer to slowly trickle out the Mega SD preorders.  The Andorran customs is extremely slow and they could at best process 14 packages a day.  For that reason I'm waiting to see if Stoneage Gamer stocks them in the future.

I did pre-order one - I did not notice any problems with the cart - as to shipping from the tiny NON-UE country we will have to see what happens there, we will most likely get screwed again by them on that one.

1 hour ago, Greg2600 said:

You're getting a more polished though more expensive product in MODE vs. Fenrir but both seem to be able to run most games fine, which is what you want at the end of the day.  I'd say once MODE begins shipping, it may or may not be as readily available as the Fenrir.  The Phoebe/Rhea at this point I would not consider in the least.  Outdated, obtuse menus, and never available.  The Satiator is definitely coming, I really feel it is, and it likely has a long waiting list of people who are still looking for it.  The menu is more advanced than Fenrir, though I think it will be open source.  It's the one product that doesn't require you to remove the disc drive, which is a plus for many collectors. 

I would say that Fenrir gets the nod in terms of developer responding to issues, as it's just him, and he's devoting his time to it.  Terra Onion are notorious for being problematic on fixes, and honestly, Prof. Abrasive has been so disconnected publicly that I kind of fear he'll go AWOL at times when he's needed most.  Already SIX weeks since his last update. 

I agree with you, I would not take a Phoebe right now if you gave it to me.  Bang for you buck is the Fenrir (its available and about 1/2 the price of the MODE).

MODE is going to be a nice product, but you are paying the premium (personally I am ok with it) as long as it work as advertised and comes out on time.

Satiator - we still dont know a price point or date, he is going to have to come in at less than 150 (and really should be closer to 120) to even be thought about seriously.

I'll probably preorder a MODE between tonight and this weekend. I might get 2 of them so I can have one for the Dreamcast that I plan on getting in the near future. I'm waiting for HD Retrovision to finish their Dreamcast cable, though, so it may be a while before I actually have a Dreamcast to put it in. Maybe I'll get one anyway and just use composite on my CRT until then.

Okay, yeah, I just did the Euro to yen conversion, and it's considerably more expensive than I thought it would be after the conversion. I'll get one for my Saturn for now and hope they don't go out of stock before I get around to buying a Dreamcast. I suppose I could just get a Dreamcast and swap the 1 MODE between my Saturn and a Dreamcast that I have yet to buy, but that's annoying and I'd rather just wait.