IGNORED

2020 Sega Saturn options:ODE/MODE/Satiator/Fenrir/Rhea/Phoebe/OTHERS?

6 hours ago, seastalker said:

Just got my MODE and it is AWESOME! Only tried it on Saturn because I have a GDemu. Is there an up to date complete list of Japanese exclusive Sega Saturn games that English-only speakers can still play? 

Ah, just checked, mine is probably arriving tomorrow from Stone Age Gamer.  I'm not sure on a list, though there's probably something out there via Google from years past.  My intention is using the MODE on a Dreamcast though.  Need to get a SSD now I guess.

I just installed my MODE in my Saturn last night (came from SAG). Works fine, but I have been busy since then with other things.

I'd like to get this system working better with the OSSC. There are some artifacts that show up with the Framemesister (it's noise in the analogue signal) that do not show up with the OSSC. Something is just ever so off with sync on the OSSC though, and the aspect ratio is off (too wide).

8 hours ago, cybercylon said:

I just installed my MODE in my Saturn last night (came from SAG). Works fine, but I have been busy since then with other things.

I'd like to get this system working better with the OSSC. There are some artifacts that show up with the Framemesister (it's noise in the analogue signal) that do not show up with the OSSC. Something is just ever so off with sync on the OSSC though, and the aspect ratio is off (too wide).

OSSC displays 320 x 240 with square pixels, which is the wrong aspect ratio and it does not have any settings to correct this. I've never had any problems with the sync on the OSSC with my (stock) Saturn unless that's why the interlaced menu in Dracula X gives me a black screen on the OSSC on my display even though other interlaced menus (Thunder Force V) work just fine. What cable are you using? I use HD Retrovision.

Maybe you should stop by the general scaler thread. Maybe someone who reads that thread might know more about it than I do.

• 4 weeks later...

Sega Saturn question - I'm enjoying the MODE greatly, but simply would like to know about plugging/unplugging controllers SAFELY while the system is on- SPECIFICALLY pertaining to alternative controllers. I snagged some light guns for instance, but cannot navigate an ODE menu so easily with a trigger and start button. If playing alone, I have tested "House of the Dead" with a gamepad in player one control port and a lightgun in player two. Am I ok with launching a game with a gamepad and hot-swapping to a wheel or gun controller or is there a better way?

Sega Saturn question - I'm enjoying the MODE greatly, but simply would like to know about plugging/unplugging controllers SAFELY while the system is on- SPECIFICALLY pertaining to alternative controllers. I snagged some light guns for instance, but cannot navigate an ODE menu so easily with a trigger and start button. If playing alone, I have tested "House of the Dead" with a gamepad in player one control port and a lightgun in player two. Am I ok with launching a game with a gamepad and hot-swapping to a wheel or gun controller or is there a better way?

I don’t think hot swapping controllers will hurt anything. Could you launch a game with the second controller while keeping the gun plugged into the first port?

You can hot swap controllers just fine on the Saturn. However, if I remember correctly, some older analog capable games might need to have the system power cycled to get the functionality to work on something like a 3D controller.

Edited by Austin

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, derFunkenstein said:

My point in prof_abrasive's queue just came up for a Satiator. I have until Wednesday to decide if I want it still. About the same price as a MODE but leaves the optical drive intact. I had expressed skepticism that it would ever release, but now I have my shot. Hmmm. 

this was the final Patreon queue, gen pub will be able to get on it in January.

4 hours ago, derFunkenstein said:

I'm not even a Patreon sub any more. I quit back in June/July, IIRC. But he must've taken the list before I quit. 

Now I need to buy another Saturn. LOL

He put everyone who was a Patron at some point on "the list" though he put the top ones higher, they had their chance in the first batch.  Even if you get on the queue now, I have no clue when you will actually get it.

On 12/20/2020 at 8:32 AM, derFunkenstein said:

My point in prof_abrasive's queue just came up for a Satiator. I have until Wednesday to decide if I want it still. About the same price as a MODE but leaves the optical drive intact. I had expressed skepticism that it would ever release, but now I have my shot. Hmmm. 

It is good. :)

On 12/21/2020 at 12:51 AM, Greg2600 said:

He put everyone who was a Patron at some point on "the list" though he put the top ones higher, they had their chance in the first batch.  Even if you get on the queue now, I have no clue when you will actually get it.

The email I got said he had "reserved stock" for me for five days (which ends tomorrow). I ordered Sunday and haven't gotten shipping notification yet, but I figure early January at the earliest. Without actually owning a Saturn right now it doesn't matter, as long as I get it. LOL

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, NinjaWarrior said:

Does prof_abrasive's know about this?

What Games won't work on the Satiator?

All I know is that if you don't have the MPEG card in the MPEG card slot, you won't be able to make use of the MPEG card, as you obviously won't have it installed. Satiator takes the MPEG card's slot, so you of course can't have both plugged in at the same time. If the thing emulates the MPEG card, which I believe it does not, then no problem, but without that functionality, the MODE is superior, as it has complete compatibility with the MPEG card, provided you actually have one, is also cheaper, and can also be used on your glorious Sega Dreamcast (unless it's a VA2). Can't use discs with it since you have to pull the drive out to use it, though.

Edited by Steven Pendleton