IGNORED

2020 Sega Saturn options:ODE/MODE/Satiator/Fenrir/Rhea/Phoebe/OTHERS?

17 hours ago, NinjaWarrior said:

So Japanese Saturn Games that requier the MPEG Card won't run

With the Satiator it's Plug and Play

That's right.  I myself would never play a single one of them, so I didn't care.  None of the other ODE's will emulate the various MPEG cards either, they just don't use that slot so if you have one (they are not cheap) you can. 

18 hours ago, NinjaWarrior said:

So Japanese Saturn Games that requier the MPEG Card won't run

With the Satiator it's Plug and Play

There is a very small amount of games that require the MPEG card and some of those even will work without it just not playing the full motion video cut scenes.

Of the Saturn ODE's I like the MODE, as it is pretty ease to install and a 1TB SSD will hold the entire library of US and Japanese games. But it is not the cheapest of the bunch.

I have a Satiator but have never used it, neat concept but the menus are not that nice. The big advantage to the Satiator is you get to retain your Optical ROM Drive.

The fenrir (I think that is the spelling) is a great option, price is good, and install is ease, only down side it you use MicroSD cards and larger ones can be expensive.

So in the end unless the MPeg card is something you think you need, dont worry about it, get the ODE that you like best and can afford.

• Like 1

Here:

https://segaretro.org/Video_CD_Card#Compatible_Games

I own one of the models (the RG-VC2), and I can use it to watch VCD (not worthy) and play the only one game (https://segaretro.org/Lunar_Silver_Star_Story) that "requires" the MPEG card to work in the "Complete" version but that also exists in a version that doesn't require it at all. Being an RPG and being available in English on a PS1 makes it a better option imho.

So yeah, you'll be fine without those games don't worry.

• Like 1

On 5/30/2021 at 1:31 PM, c0op3r said:

There is a very small amount of games that require the MPEG card and some of those even will work without it just not playing the full motion video cut scenes.

Of the Saturn ODE's I like the MODE, as it is pretty ease to install and a 1TB SSD will hold the entire library of US and Japanese games. But it is not the cheapest of the bunch.

I have a Satiator but have never used it, neat concept but the menus are not that nice. The big advantage to the Satiator is you get to retain your Optical ROM Drive.

The fenrir (I think that is the spelling) is a great option, price is good, and install is ease, only down side it you use MicroSD cards and larger ones can be expensive.

So in the end unless the MPeg card is something you think you need, dont worry about it, get the ODE that you like best and can afford.

How large is the whole US and Japan library? I was looking at compressed files and it looked like they both would fit on a 500gb HD. Am I wrong in thinking they would fit?