IGNORED

Looking for 2 (non-dommercial) progs probably written by crackers

enuffsaid

Hello all,

I have been thinking about these apps I've used on my Apple II+ that I can't seem to find anywhere.

One is a program what would scan tracks and sectors and dump the data to the hi-res screen.  This way you could find images from a game, manipulate them, and write them back to the disk.

The other one was a program that lets you make those nice scrolling effects of those pirate screens.  It would allow you to put a window around a certain area of a graphics screen and you could say which way to scroll and how fast.  If I remember correctly it could even eject this animated screen into the boot sequence of a game disk.

I've searched Asimov but I can't seem to find anything.  I don't even remember what they were called.   Can you please help me?

Thank you very much.  Kind regards,
'nuff

Edited by enuffsaid

20 hours ago, enuffsaid said:

Hello all,

I have been thinking about these apps I've used on my Apple II+ that I can't seem to find anywhere.

One is a program what would scan tracks and sectors and dump the data to the hi-res screen.  This way you could find images from a game, manipulate them, and write them back to the disk.

The other one was a program that lets you make those nice scrolling effects of those pirate screens.  It would allow you to put a window around a certain area of a graphics screen and you could say which way to scroll and how fast.  If I remember correctly it could even eject this animated screen into the boot sequence of a game disk.

I've searched Asimov but I can't seem to find anything.  I don't even remember what they were called.   Can you please help me?

Thank you very much.  Kind regards,
'nuff

I take it that you have already gone through the entire Asimov ftp database?

2 hours ago, GameGeezer said:

I take it that you have already gone through the entire Asimov ftp database?

Absolutely.  Was up till 2 AM yesterday trying to find it.  I've looked in images/disk_utils/cracking/ and loaded quite a bit of the images but found nothing.  Perhaps I overlooked it as I have no recollection of what the tools were actually called.  Also, technically it's not a cracking tool so I could be looking in the wrong place altogether. But I'll keep searching. Hoping that somebody with a better memory might remember these tools.  It's been over 30 years.  :-)    

29 minutes ago, Keatah said:

I wanted to suggest "The Pirate's Signature". It allows you to inject a compressed picture into the boot tracks I think. But it doesn't support editing and making windows or those little scrolling "animations".

Hi Keatah.  Actually I did bump into that when I was looking at Asimov yesterday.  But it's not the tool I had in mind.  I'm not giving up, though.  Thanks Keatah.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/20/2020 at 9:21 PM, Keatah said:

I wanted to suggest "The Pirate's Signature". It allows you to inject a compressed picture into the boot tracks I think. But it doesn't support editing and making windows or those little scrolling "animations".

Hello Keatah,

I had a good luck at Asimov and believe I found the Scrolling animations application called "hi_res_scroller.dsk". It can be found at
https://mirrors.apple2.org.za/ftp.apple.asimov.net/images/productivity/graphics/misc/

I noticed it didn't have the built in feature to inject itself into the boot of disk.  So I believe I may have used it together with the application you suggested, The Pirate's Signature, to get that done.

Clearly 30+ years have taken a toll on my memory.  :-)

Thanks again for your assistance.

Best regards,

'nuff

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The first program you mention might be one of mine called "Picture Loader". It appeared in Computist - April 1988 - Issue #54 on pages 8-10.

https://archive.org/details/computist-scan-54/page/n7/mode/2up

The second program could be "Krackerjack's Autograph". It did a number of animations. I don't recall if it would inject the picture on a disk or not. If not, another program that was capable of injecting a title page on a disk was called "Intercept 1.2".

I know the utility you mean, about making a high Rez boot screen with various scolling effects.  I used it a lot bitd.

I looked for this a could of years ago, and the best I found was the pirates signature disk.  I don't think it's the same thing (been a couple years).

I'll check tho, it's possible someone sent me a disk image.