IGNORED

Gotek keyboard issue

hello all!

I am having trouble with the keyboard using the flash floppy on my gotek.

when i use F1 to search for files if it type:

Q comes out as A

W comes out as Z

A comes out as Q

Z comes out as W

M doesn't work

Attached is a photo with the version i am using.

Any advice?

IMG_1497.jpg

10 hours ago, ParanoidLittleMan said:

Looks like it's set on French language.

I was thinking the same, exact thing. Those are the letters that would come up if you pressed those same keys on a French azerty keyboard. The M key is the ?, key on a French keyboard, which is why you get nothing when you press that one. You can't have those characters in a filename.

I don't recall having language settings when I setup my Gotek and FlashFloppy, but there must be. You've either downloaded a French version of FlashFloppy, or you've somehow set it up as French.

Edited by bfollowell

OK, before we get too far into this, I just want to confirm, what is the country of origin of your ST? Also, have you used SysInfo to confirm the country version of your TOS?

If not, you can get it here:

https://sites.google.com/site/stessential/system-tools/sysinfo

I'd be curious to see your answers to those two questions.

On "my" STE, I'm using the registered verion of HxC, but I setup FlashFloppy on two STs that I installed Goteks in and sold. I never experienced any problems like what you're experiencing. I don't recall downloading any language specific versions, and I don't recall seeing anywhere that I could set the language, so I'm really confused. It's been a few months since I set them up though.

Edited by bfollowell

11 hours ago, bfollowell said:

OK, before we get too far into this, I just want to confirm, what is the country of origin of your ST? Also, have you used SysInfo to confirm the country version of your TOS?

If not, you can get it here:

https://sites.google.com/site/stessential/system-tools/sysinfo

I'd be curious to see your answers to those two questions.

On "my" STE, I'm using the registered verion of HxC, but I setup FlashFloppy on two STs that I installed Goteks in and sold. I never experienced any problems like what you're experiencing. I don't recall downloading any language specific versions, and I don't recall seeing anywhere that I could set the language, so I'm really confused. It's been a few months since I set them up though.

Country of Origin is UK, however, back in the day it was purchased new in Australia.

I can't get the SysInfo to load as it isn't a .ST image. I should mention I am just starting out in this project so I have been trying to work out how to convert it and I am not having luck. IF anyone can help with this, that would be amazing!

11 hours ago, eightbit said:

I see you are running the (pretty old) "stable" version of FF. I have never experienced an issue such as yours, but I also never use that old version. Try the experimental version (currently 3.13):

https://github.com/keirf/FlashFloppy/wiki/Downloads

I have upgraded to version 3 and also running flash floppy version 8 now but it is still the same issue.

I was looking into the HxC version and was getting a bit confused as to which files and firmware i need to run it on the Atari STE. Would you happen to have a good suggestion of what steps & files I would need to go down this path?

Thanks everyone for your assistance!

Edited by clifhanger

11 hours ago, clifhanger said:

I can't get the SysInfo to load as it isn't a .ST image. I should mention I am just starting out in this project so I have been trying to work out how to convert it and I am not having luck. IF anyone can help with this, that would be amazing!

I have upgraded to version 3 and also running flash floppy version 8 now but it is still the same issue.

I was looking into the HxC version and was getting a bit confused as to which files and firmware i need to run it on the Atari STE. Would you happen to have a good suggestion of what steps & files I would need to go down this path?

You can't load SysInfo directly, since it's a prg file. That's just a normal ST executable file. You need to put it onto an ST disk image. Honestly, it seems strange that it isn't offered that way. I just used the Hatari emulator to create my own disk image and put the file on there. I'll attach it below.

As far as HxC, there's nowhere to just download it. It's commercial firmware and you have to purchase it from the author, then you'll get a link where you can download it. FlashFloppy is a free, open source firmware with mostly the same features. I just liked the OLED display a little better on the HxC version than the FlashFloppy version and wanted to support the author. That was the only reason I purchased HxC. It's certainly not required.

SysInfo v8.34.st

44 minutes ago, eightbit said:

HxC firmware is not going to help you as I do not believe this has anything to do at all with the Gotek or FF firmware. As everyone else hinted, that is the French keyboard layout. I suspect the TOS in this is French and someone swapped the keyboard to a QWERTY one.

I thought the same thing. That’s why I wanted to see what SysInfo said. Still, he said that those keys work as they’re supposed to in all other applications, so that would make no sense at all if they were French ROMs.

Who knows what we’re going to find out.

Clifhanger, do you normally use any sort of regular boot disk that maybe has any sort of keyboard remapping program running on it? Something that you've forgotten about?

I REALLY want to have you run SysInfo and tell us what country it says your TOS ROMs are from.

Edited by bfollowell

18 hours ago, bfollowell said:

I thought the same thing. That’s why I wanted to see what SysInfo said. Still, he said that those keys work as they’re supposed to in all other applications, so that would make no sense at all if they were French ROMs.

Who knows what we’re going to find out.

Clifhanger, do you normally use any sort of regular boot disk that maybe has any sort of keyboard remapping program running on it? Something that you've forgotten about?

I REALLY want to have you run SysInfo and tell us what country it says your TOS ROMs are from.

I don't use any other boot disks or anything. thank you so much for the sysinfo file. Attached is a photo. it says that TOS is Great Britain.

So, to be clear the AZERTY keyboard is only an issue in the FlashFloppy. Within TOS it is QWERTY. I even checked by making a new folder within TOS

IMG_1506.jpg

Yeah, not what I was expecting at all, but definitely just like you said; U.K. TOS 1.6. It makes no sense at all. I wish I could help more, but I have no idea at all what could be causing this.

So, let’s get back to the firmware. Did you say where you got the firmware and the installer? Do you have the links you used? I’ll look for the files I used for mine.

Something else that I'm curious about, but it shouldn't really matter, but did you program your Gotek the TTL adapter, or did you use a USB A to A cable?

I used a USB A to A cable and followed the procedure at Exxos' site. I'll attach the link below. I got the programming files from the site, but made certain I downloaded the most recent versions of the firmware before flashing.

https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=593

Have a read of this forum where I asked the same question. https://github.com/keirf/FlashFloppy/issues/330

Looks like that is how the FlashFloppy is programmed. Coming into this flashfloppy world so late I find it odd though that there aren't others who noticed this. 

I got my firmware and software from this same page. https://github.com/keirf/FlashFloppy

I might have a go of the HxC version to see if that has the same issue for me. Stand by for results haha

None of what they said makes any sense at all, because if it did, it would happen more often, and someone would've had a similar situation long before now. Since it seems to be an extremely rare issue, I don't think it's something as simple as it being hard-coded into the firmware. If it were, wouldn't everyone be experiencing this problem?

When you updated to the newer version of FlashFloppy, did you update the autoboot.hfe on your flash drive to the one that came with the newer version of FlashFloppy, or are you still using the old version that came with the old version you initially installed? Also, in addition to trying to update to the most recent version of the autoboot.hfe, also delete the ff.cfg file, if there is one, then give another try.

Edited by bfollowell

I kind of thought the same thing, but at some point we kind of have to assume that he isn't an idiot. He said it's a U.K. STE, and it has U.K. TOS ROMs in it according to the SysInfo screenshot that he posted so, assuming the keys appear to be in the correct locations, that's really all that matters, even if it were to have an AZERTY keyboard. It wouldn't matter as key mapping is controlled by the TOS ROMs, so as long as the key caps had been moved to the appropriate QWERTY locations, it will work as a QWERTY keyboard. The keyboard itself is just a matrix of dumb switches. I guess it doesn't hurt to cover all our bases though. If we don't ask the dumb questions first, one of those simple things will wind up being the cause.

Edited by bfollowell

2 hours ago, bfollowell said:

I kind of thought the same thing, but at some point we kind of have to assume that he isn't an idiot. He said it's a U.K. STE, and it has U.K. TOS ROMs in it according to the SysInfo screenshot that he posted so, assuming the keys appear to be in the correct locations, that's really all that matters, even if it were to have an AZERTY keyboard. It wouldn't matter as key mapping is controlled by the TOS ROMs, so as long as the key caps had been moved to the appropriate QWERTY locations, it will work as a QWERTY keyboard. The keyboard itself is just a matrix of dumb switches. I guess it doesn't hurt to cover all our bases though. If we don't ask the dumb questions first, one of those simple things will wind up being the cause.

Yes, but if a french keyboard with a UK TOS it will be this problem. He haven't proven if indeed it is a QWERTY keyboard or the keys have been moved around from a AZERTY to become a UK keyboard we will have no problem. It is in fact as you say dumb switches. It is really strange. UK TOS with french keyboard bought in Australia. Yeah, sounds like it have to be a UK QWERTY keyboard.

Yes, The TOS that's installed controls the key mapping, not the keyboard itself. All the keyboard knows is that a "switch" was pressed, and the proper address is passed to the computer. The TOS that's installed controls what character is displayed. If someone had installed an AZERTY keyboard on a U.K. STE with U.K. ROMS, and didn't move the keys around and pressed the upper left letter, it's an A, right? But on said machine, a Q would be displayed, because the STE has no clue which keyboard is installed. All it knows is that the switch corresponding to the upper left most letter was pressed. Since his system has U.K. TOS ROMs installed, he should've gotten a Q when he pressed the upper left most letter key, not an A, regardless if the key caps had been moved around or not.

Still, I suspect he does not have a AZERTY keyboard, but it does not hurt to be certain.

I think I would have noticed by now that keyboard would have been AZERTY rather that QWERTY. I used to use this Atari ST when it was new, with floppy disks so I have only got the issue of AZERTY in the Flashfloppy. Photo attached of the keyboard to satisfy curiosity.

If we are looking at simple solutions has anyone gone to their Atari with a gotek with Flash floppy installed and tested it? Pressed F1 and typed qwerty? using either version 2.14 or 3.13a. Making sure you aren't using the HxC version.

I have updated to the latest bootloader as well. using these files: https://github.com/keirf/FlashFloppy/wiki/Downloads

Also attached is a photo showing I am using 3.13a and flashfloppy selector version 8

IMG_1507.jpg

IMG_1508.jpg

I just noticed you said you were using the FF file selector. I’ve missed that until now. I think most use the HxC file selector even when using FF firmware. I know that’s what I use with the ones I’ve setup. I have another 1040STF with a Gotek with FF firmware though, that I’m getting ready to sell. I’ll try to set it up with the FF file selector and see if I can reproduce your issue. I’ll play around with it tomorrow and post my results. I’d really like to help you get to the bottom of this.

OK, I have my U.K. 1040STE setup and it is very similar to yours. Though I plan to covert it to a U.S. model soon, it currently still has U.K. TOS 1.62 and a U.K. QWERTY keyboard. I've upgraded my Gotek to FF v3.13a. Once I replace my AUTOBOOT.HFE and HXCSDFE.CFG files with the ones that came with FF v3.13a, I am experiencing the exact same issues as you. I also went back and installed the latest version of the HxC file selector. It does the same exact thing. I'm certain it always has, and I've just never noticed it, because I've never used F1 to use the search function. So far, I've just been experimenting with my Gotek, and don't have enough files on my flash drive to make it necessary, and the few that are on there are organized very well.

So, despite what I thought earlier, it does look like this is a common issue and, from what I can tell, it affects every single Atari ST/Gotek user, regardless of whether or not they're using the HxC or the FF file selectors. However, it's only an issue if you use the search field. Otherwise, you'd likely never notice the issue.

As others on the keirf/FlashFloppy github site told you, someone will need to correct the code and compile a new version. Like you, this is beyond me.

All I can tell you is to appeal to the author to correct it, or organize your files in such a way that you don't need to use the search function. I'm not aware of any other fix unless someone here wants to take it on. Either way, I just wanted to confirm that I am able to reproduce your issue. You are not alone.

Edited by bfollowell

Actually, I found the keymap.h that they mentioned on the rainisto/FlashFloppy_File_Selector github site and was able to modify it for the scan codes for a QWERTY style keyboard. It was just the letters and the period. I believe everything else is correct. I posted the new keymap.h file in a zip on a comment under your issue. It seems like that was what they were really asking for. Hopefully, they can take that and create a new QWERTY version of AUTOBOOT for QWERTY Atari STs.

I'm going to send a message to the author of HxC and see if he can do the same thing for the HxC file selector.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention!

Edited by bfollowell