IGNORED

Will The Retro Game Market Be Cheaper Due To Current Events?

Right now I think prices are higher. Apparently people staying home are spending their money on expensive retro games on ebay.

If something like a great depression happens, prices will drop, but not sure if that will happen.

I will say that less popular retro games seem to have been dropping in price for a while now (except for perhaps right now), but popular old games have maintained their value.

Edited by pablum

It depends both on how long this really goes on and how many people actually permanently lose their jobs. It's not something you're going to see overnight. Over time you will have fewer buyers out there, but even then it will take some time for sellers to realize that and adjust their prices. Auctions would be the first place you'd notice it; you might see auctions that start at lower prices (with the seller hoping to see a bidding war) end at lower prices than they normally would have. It will take longer for any kind of fixed price listing, online or in a store, to change in price as stuff sits around unsold.

It wouldn't surprise me if in the short term, prices actually go up as more people are cooped up at home. I've been doing a little more game shopping myself than I usually do. While a lot of people are home, not everybody who's home is in danger of losing their job over this. Those who aren't just need stuff to do. So for now, I'll bet there's actually slightly more demand than normal. But if this goes on for 6 months or a year where people aren't going out, aren't traveling, aren't eating at restaurants, etc. then you can expect to see belt tightening from the permanently unemployed overtaking additional recreation from the simply bored.

• Like 1

Right now I am selling, not buying. Expecting to make at least $300 this month on just thinning out my surplus. I strongly think the market will take a dive in about 6-8 months, when both a lot of people are unemployed and need to make ends meet, and the finance market as a whole is struggling too.

• Sad 1