IGNORED

Magazine cover collection?

Hello All,

Does anyone know of a hi-res collection of vintage computer magazine covers?

I wanted to check here before I started searching and scanning on my own.

I going to make a screensaver (as well as desktop wallpaper collection) for Mac & PC's.

My particular favorite magazine from my early days are the COMPUTE! for Atari magazines.

Thanks

I was fortunate.  I bought every issue of Antic.  In 1991 (or so) they had a $99 deal.  All their remaining issues in stock, plus the disks for them.  It was a big thing to spend that much on those mags.  The box was really heavy. 

In fact, I have 4 or 5 issues by my bedside.  I re-read them about once a year.  It's fun to look at those old ads for gear and software.  Some I wish i bought back in the day.  Oh well.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, gilsaluki said:

I was fortunate.  I bought every issue of Antic.  In 1991 (or so) they had a $99 deal.  All their remaining issues in stock, plus the disks for them.  It was a big thing to spend that much on those mags.  The box was really heavy. 

In fact, I have 4 or 5 issues by my bedside.  I re-read them about once a year.  It's fun to look at those old ads for gear and software.  Some I wish i bought back in the day.  Oh well.

Do you by chance have Antic disk Volume 3 #2 June 1984 and Volume 3 #3 July 1984?

I know those are the two disks that are missing from the archive.   My father had a subscription to Antic for many years,  I am sure we most likely have/had this disk at one time. It may still be in my father basement.

Can you make an ATR of those 2 disks?

I was thinking the same thing!

If you have access to those disks, gilsaluki, that would be a great way to help out the Atari community, because I know there are a few missing disks, and I believe there are several that were double-sided or dual disk months, but only one is available.

• Like 2

Thanks for all the responses.

I just wanted to check the forums before I went and created something redundant.

I have checked all the regular sources such as archive.org, and found most of the full magazine scans in PDF form, which is a good start.

So I will post and publish the files of magazine covers as a collection here and on other forums when it's ready.

- Many thanks

• Like 1

On 4/21/2020 at 9:08 AM, venom4728a said:

Do you by chance have Antic disk Volume 3 #2 June 1984 and Volume 3 #3 July 1984?

I know those are the two disks that are missing from the archive.   My father had a subscription to Antic for many years,  I am sure we most likely have/had this disk at one time. It may still be in my father basement.

Can you make an ATR of those 2 disks?

Here is the June 1984 .atr that I have immediately available as an .atr but if it doesn't work let me know because I am planning on .atr'ing up the other one (July 1984) for everyone... by this weekend, at the latest.

When I do, I'll double-check for whether these ANTIC disks have a B-side to .atr up as well. And if there are any other ANTIC diskettes needed let me know, as I may have them, too, in floppy format and will .atr them up.

I also have ANALOG diskettes, of course.

Keep in mind that these disks may have all failed at some point, given their age. But I do otherwise make every effort to protect them from what I can, as long as I can, even though they came to me through one of my crazy Atari binge-buying sessions a few years back and I can't account for anything before my porch.

--Tim

84_JUN.ATR

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Timothy Kline said:

I went ahead and .atr'd them both up, but there was nothing on the flipside of either disk.

Imaged using Prosystem from Steve Tucker.

--Tim

ANTIC Vol 3 No 2 June 1984.ATR 90.02 kB · 6 downloads ANTIC Vol 3 No 3 July 1984.ATR 90.02 kB · 6 downloads

Awesome!! Thank You!  I did call my father and he dug through his room and found several more floppy disk storage boxes. He said that some say Antic on them.  So as soon as our house arrest due to corona virus is up I am going to go see what there is.  I have a kryoflux drive and 5.25 floppy drive i am figuring out how to use.  But.. the head is now too dirty. I ordered a couple 5.25 head cleaners to get back up in running If they end up taking too long I will just open op the drive and clean it the hard way.

In the mean time I have started working on the Analog disk files.  We did not get Analog as a subscription, we did manage to pick them up once in awhile though from the local computer store.  I see the first 8 disks are missing from that collection. They might not have ever had disks in the early issues.

I have noticed that many in the archive have MENU file but no autorun.sys. Not sure if this was just how they came or what.  I have been opening up each disk and adding the autorun.sys so they booth the analog menu at load.  

I am organizing all my files atr/atx/car etc for my SDMAXX Drive.  

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, www.atarimania.com said:

Does anybody have the original disk set of The ANALOG Compendium book by any chance?

IIRC, the offer was only available to users who bought the book: 

https://archive.org/details/the-analog-compendium/page/n193/mode/2up

I seem to have both the ANALOG Compendium set (2 disks) and the ANALOG Extra set (2 disks) in the collection here. I'll get those ATR'd up for everyone, but they are not original disks so I won't be able to provide helpful and preserving scans of the floppies, sorry.

--Tim

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/23/2020 at 2:12 PM, Timothy Kline said:

Here are .atr's of the requested floppies I have in the ANALOG set here, everyone.

Thanks for the dumps.

Could you please make pictures of the disks (incl. the ANTIC dsks) for the a8preservation site?

• Like 1

On 4/22/2020 at 10:39 PM, developerdude said:

I do have those volumes as .DCM files as well as all the Antic magazine (as PDF) and software disks.

I'll try to make them into .ATR files and post them.

Hi - could you please let me know what utility I would need to use to unpack .DCM files ? Thanks 

On a windows PC :    Imagic by AtariMax website Steve Tucker.  Atari Emulator Atari800 Plus 4.1

On an Atari with extended ram and a program called Diskcom3.  with a larger Atr or harddrive partition to hold the size of the new file.