IGNORED

GCP/Games Computers Play Box/Docs?

doctor_x

Does anyone happen to have the original GCP starter kit - or even any of the original advertising blurbs that came out at its introduction? I would like to purchase same for my display bookcase. 

Any leads would be appreciated. I've had an ebay search running for this (along with many more) for quite some time (years) without a hit.

Thanks!

I wish I still did!  I bought that and was on there back in the day.

FYI... atarimania.com has all the .atr disk images.  However, they are kind of mislabeled.  The description for Lords of Space mentions "Missing original disk image!" but this is wrong.

http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-400-800-xl-xe-lords-of-space_3040.html

The zip file there actually has images of all 4 original disk sides.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

didn't someone mention trying to set a gcp server up?

i think the last time i started a topic about this it had come up... mad reverse engineering would have to be done but im sure its possible. they did it with AOL and PLATO... I would LOVE to see it!

• Like 1

On 4/20/2020 at 6:34 PM, doctor_x said:

Does anyone happen to have the original GCP starter kit - or even any of the original advertising blurbs that came out at its introduction? I would like to purchase same for my display bookcase. 

Any leads would be appreciated. I've had an ebay search running for this (along with many more) for quite some time (years) without a hit.

Thanks!

Hey there, @doctor_x, happened to see your post.

The only GCP materials I've come across is what I picked up off EBay a few years back as part of an Atari lot. Didn't even know there were disks (.atrs) available to go-with. ?   ?

--Tim

GCP manual and tri-fold (2).jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Timothy Kline said:

Hey there, @doctor_x, happened to see your post.

The only GCP materials I've come across is what I picked up off EBay a few years back as part of an Atari lot. Didn't even know there were disks (.atrs) available to go-with. ?   ?

--Tim

GCP manual and tri-fold (2).jpg

I had that same pamphlet... God I drooled over that shit!!! LOL!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/30/2020 at 4:29 AM, Timothy Kline said:

I'll certainly add it on the list of Atari to-do's, @evilmoo, for when things die down again here on the homefront. Should be a pretty straightforward task. /thinking

--Tim

Sorry for the delay...

https://archive.org/details/gcp-manual-1986-games-computers-play-inc

--Tim

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, doctor_x said:

Ok... After reading through a good bit of this I see they had an auto-update function? 

Possibly a first? I never used the commodore variant or PLATO so I dont know if either one of them had it.... 

It's pretty strange -- what I've disassembled so far looks mostly like processing a variety of display commands, and I don't see much in the way of file transfer code.  Perhaps it's time to take a closer look at START.COM.

19 hours ago, evilmoo said:

It's pretty strange -- what I've disassembled so far looks mostly like processing a variety of display commands, and I don't see much in the way of file transfer code.  Perhaps it's time to take a closer look at START.COM.

or, maybe they had stuff listed that was "under construction".... man after reading through that manual I am thoroughly impressed with what they had in - what? 1986?? If nothing else it would be kick ass to reverse it enough to at least get images of the screens for documentation purposes. GCP needs to be remembered! :)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, doctor_x said:

or, maybe they had stuff listed that was "under construction".... man after reading through that manual I am thoroughly impressed with what they had in - what? 1986?? If nothing else it would be kick ass to reverse it enough to at least get images of the screens for documentation purposes. GCP needs to be remembered! :)

It certainly seemed like a Prodigy before Prodigy.  I wonder if I can get the client to dial an IP address if I run it in Altirra...

• 4 weeks later...

I have been collecting a lot of individual scans for a new set of 8bit Databases (https://intotheverticalblank.com/atari-8bit-magazine-review-database/)  (Mag reviews, programming tutorials from Analog, etc), and I came across 2 GCP things that are attached. One is the advertisement, and one is a review. 

Games Computers Play (GCP Network) Ad Full Color.pdf Games-Computers-Play-GCP-Review-Analog-Issue-37.pdf

• Like 1

• 11 months later...