IGNORED

Atari ST joysticks + USB

Stevaside

Just starting to look into the ST & some the games in it's library through Hatari/Launchbox

I have 2 questions:

1.Did it use the same joysticks as the 2600 & XE ? (From what I read so far 7800 controllers tend not to work right)

2.Is there a USB adapter someone can recommend that I could use to plug a 2600 joystick into my laptop as the game controller for Hatari...if that works well that is?

Thanks

I believe it uses the same one button standard joystick as the Atari 2600.  I don't think a second button is supported on pin 9 and I don't think paddles are supported.  If 7800 joystick buttons don't work properly, lack of paddle support could be the reason.

For Hatari, any usb game controller should work and that includes the 2600-dapter and any similar device and controller those adaptors support.

Edited by mr_me
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The ST uses the same joysticks as the Atari 2600 and 8-bit computers.  7800 & Sega controlers won't work because the paddle signals used for the extra buttons lock up the keyboard (though you can use them in the mouse port).

Any USB adapter that uses 2600 joysticks should work...