IGNORED

Another Atarian leaves us..

Mclaneinc

My great old friend Bob that I've mentioned before died this morning from dementia, sepsis, liver failure and numerous other things. I met Bob and his late wife Sue at Maplin with the Atari being our common ground, They were a lovely couple and many of the DOCS you find on disc from back then were lovingly typed by Sue on Atariwriter, Bob's late brother Bernard was also in the infamous Kent team and Bob loved his Atari and ST's.

After Sue died he started to get dementia and my wife and I became his only close family and looked after him, as the other issued started to come on and the dementia got worse I took over Bobs full time care until it was too much for me and he was moved to a home. Even as his illness got worse he still loved a game of Survivor on the 8bit.

Raise your glasses please for the passing of a true Atarian.

Paul.

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 22

Thanks guys, feels like only the other day he was talking to me on skype "oh what's that game I like, can you get it going" and as I has set Team Viewer up to auto answer I loaded up Altirra and put Survivor on and he was happy as Larry. Sadly when he was put in the home all that stopped as he wasn't allowed his lap top because he would throw stuff about including it.

Just happy he's at peace now..

Edited by Mclaneinc
Because I'm a typing idiot..

I am very sorry for your less, may he rest in peace, condoleances.

What does it mean "Sadly when he was put in the home all that stopped as he wasn't allowed his lap top because he would throw stupp about including it".

I am not sure I undertood correcty. He wasn't allowed to bring his laptop?

Thank you but this isn't about me, personally I'm happy for him as he was suffering and was terminal from his issues as it was, its a release.

This is about Bob, its what he would have liked and loved his old Atari, its just sad another person from that era with the love of the machines has passed away..Sort of strike home mortality for me..

7 minutes ago, Philsan said:

I am very sorry for your less, may he rest in peace, condoleances.

What does it mean "Sadly when he was put in the home all that stopped as he wasn't allowed his lap top because he would throw stupp about including it".

I am not sure I undertood correcty. He wasn't allowed to bring his laptop?

Oops, my spelling, it was meant to say Throw stuff about..He had thrown a monitor and a PC while in hospital because he was disorientated, he was also throwing stuff when he got frustrated at the home so he wasn't allowed the lap top all the time. both his nephew and me thought it might go missing with light fingered cleaners etc.

Such a shame as I would have kept the Team view and skype going even though he had forgotten me....The staff would allow him to get skype calls from their phones though as no one was allowed to go to the home because of this pandemic.

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Like 2

Rest in peace, Bob. I'm sorry your friend passed Paul, as you say though, he is at peace now. It was similar for my grandfather near the end, though he was over 100. I pray he is the last Atarian to die in such a way, I hope we all can keep our wits and keep using our Atari's until we drop dead. Which I pray is still many years away for us all. We should all play a game of Survivor on our Atari's today in rememberance or honor of Bob.

Edited by Gunstar

A glass was literally raised in memory of Bob all the way over here in Australia.

While I didn't know Bob, any friend of yours is a friend of mine and I am glad that I have learned what this game is as I haven't seen it before. It looks rather fun. It is nearly a quarter past midnight though, so I won't be playing it yet.

Just don't ask why I have a glass next to my bed!

All the best on the other side Bob.

• Thanks 1

It was a pleasure to help Bob, after his wife died he sort of died a little as well, I'd always been around to offer as he was getting on in life and we all need a bit of help as we head to the twilight years. As said its not about me, its celebrating another Atarian but lamenting the loss of one as well.

I even cheated Survivor for him when it was getting too difficult, the advanced arthritis had badly affected his hands...

And as my sig says, they are not gone as long as you remember them...

• Like 1

@Mclaneinc,

Our hearts break for the loss of Bob and what the rest of your family are going through. Bob was family. The emotional roller coaster and the cruelty of the disease that claimed him is over. Know that your love and care eased that cruelty and that you will always have a piece of your dearest friend, mate, and family member... Just remember he wasn't alone in that he had you.

In honor of Bob it seems to me that Survivor should be the next High Score Club game, or maybe we could all play a game of Survivor his memory. Yeah that sounds fitting.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 2