Jump to content
rjchamp3

Why I am SO DONE with 3rd party junk

Recommended Posts

I been buying the new school stuff as of late, and I really felt good about my recent purchase, of the Hyperkin Ranger 2600/7800 Controller. It plays like a charm and prob the best responses I have ever had BUT, like many classic game players we get angry or frustrated and throw a controller down. I have never broken a controller and I have smashed these things. It took one throw down of this and it broke, despite it being my fault, it should NOT break on throw down.

 

 

Sadly things today are just junk

....

 

 

Beware before you buy

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Never have I thrown or dropped a controller. Too precious! :)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, you threw a controller and you're angry because it broke?  Are you in middle school?

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rjchamp3 said:

Beware before you buy

Or just, you know, don't act like a toddler and throw things.

 

"If you throw something it might break" is not something you need to warn most people older than 4.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Throwing a sensitive analog controller at a floor and then being angry it broke? 

 

Sounds about right...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last time I heard of someone performing violence against their property was in elementary school.  Someones husband got frustrated with Platoon and threw his NES down the basement.  Wasn't good for him, his family or the hardware, I'd wager.

 

 

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, rjchamp3 said:

I been buying the new school stuff as of late, and I really felt good about my recent purchase, of the Hyperkin Ranger 2600/7800 Controller. It plays like a charm and prob the best responses I have ever had BUT, like many classic game players we get angry or frustrated and throw a controller down. I have never broken a controller and I have smashed these things. It took one throw down of this and it broke, despite it being my fault, it should NOT break on throw down.

 

 

Sadly things today are just junk

....

 

 

Beware before you buy

I HATE hyperkin, especially after the hell I went through with the Retron 77 but that ranger controller is a solid well working little unit. If you can get past using a thumbstick vs a d pad or actual stick. Stop throwing your shit. Smoke a bowl or something man. 

Edited by The Atari Creep
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Gemintronic said:

Last time I heard of someone performing violence against their property was in elementary school.  Someones husband got frustrated with Platoon and threw his NES down the basement.  Wasn't good for him, his family or the hardware, I'd wager.

Wow, people got married at a young age in your elementary school 🤣

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, cvga said:

Wow, people got married at a young age in your elementary school 🤣

Explains a lot about my personality 😛  Though, Uncle Grandpa says I did alright!

  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow. You deliberately mistreat the product and then blame the manufacturer for it breaking? Is this really the world we're living in?

BTW third party has little to do with it. First-party 2600 controllers aren't exactly known to be tanks lol

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

He's both wrong and right, these have broken during the course of normal game play, and adult people as well as kids, toss controllers all the time... they normally don't break... flying controllers have been known to break televisions... but normally the controller still works...  just not arcade quality I guess.

 

What about 2600 controllers? I have a set of original joysticks and played the crap out of them, they have been mistreated many times. Only one of them ever had an issue since 197x..... sure they are't crisp and super firm... but they took their licking and kept ticking...

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, rjchamp3 said:

Sadly things today are just junk

For one thing, stop throwing your stuff just because you get frustrated with a game, I didn't even do that when I was a kid. Also there was plenty of junk made back in the day too, it's a problem that spans the ages.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

adult people kind sir although, the target keeps moving, sometimes we have adult children, the application of the definition and modifier seems kind of fluid these days.

Under law children don't enjoy all the rights of we the people, unless emancipated.

But they do enjoy representation by proxy through their parents, unless emancipated.

as such the are included within the body (a people), but are not considered as sovereign or people unless emancipated.

and yet they still have protections, representation(by proxy), and limited rights.... unless emancipated...  gotta love it!

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, rjchamp3 said:

I been buying the new school stuff as of late, and I really felt good about my recent purchase, of the Hyperkin Ranger 2600/7800 Controller. It plays like a charm and prob the best responses I have ever had BUT, like many classic game players we get angry or frustrated and throw a controller down. I have never broken a controller and I have smashed these things. It took one throw down of this and it broke, despite it being my fault, it should NOT break on throw down.

 

 

Sadly things today are just junk

 

 

 

Beware before you buy

That Was Dumb GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

 

 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I broke several Switch Joycons by throwing them.   I thought my cx-10 joystick broke while playing Atari Pac-man cause pacman wouldn't go left and I smacked the stick hard left.  It stopped going right for a while but then right started working again talk about a tough joystick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yup the only point of this post was to inform people that new school is junk, and old school don't break.  This was not about people pretending they never throw controllers or I'm blaming the manufacturer. Thank you for the undivided attention as usual making it all about me. Lol

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, rjchamp3 said:

Yup the only point of this post was to inform people that new school is junk, and old school don't break.  This was not about people pretending they never throw controllers or I'm blaming the manufacturer. Thank you for the undivided attention as usual making it all about me. Lol

So just because one thing you used breaks, everything from the past few years is bad and older stuff is better? 

 

That's not very open-minded my friend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Magmavision2000 said:

So just because one thing you used breaks, everything from the past few years is bad and older stuff is better? 

 

That's not very open-minded my friend.

It's been an ongoing thing it's not one or two. I have open my mind to buying a lot and new school stuff and it's all junk we just don't make things like we used to and that's because we don't make enough things here in America. Or we use garbage parts

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TBH Hyperkin has made made some real junk, my son whom takes great care in almost anything he does or touches had a hyperkin charger that didn't fair very well. I've had one of their controllers during game play (and it wasn't frenzied game play) fail. I wasn't too pleased with a few of their docking solutions either. It's not an isolated incident. Let's face it, it's some pretty piss poor parts in these things. I think a number of laptops had gotten more rugged a few years back though...

 

I'd have to agree on one point, most of the parts come from one place for the broad spectrum of today's wonderment.  Rebuilding certain devices using what is supposed to be a 1 for 1 rated part often turns out not to be the case. They use a different testing and rating method than they did back then, the new parts don't take inrush currents into account, nor do they take torsional stress or any other axis into a given rating either, it only needs to meet one axis and it's a pass. This would never have flown in any industrial country of the past, not just the U.S.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, rjchamp3 said:

It's been an ongoing thing it's not one or two. I have open my mind to buying a lot and new school stuff and it's all junk we just don't make things like we used to and that's because we don't make enough things here in America. Or we use garbage parts

Well, plastic definitely seems to be made cheaper these days when you compare old board games with the same games being sold today. Bought Kerplunk when my kids were younger and couldn't believe how thin and cheap the plastic was compared to how the one I had as a kid was. Same with the pieces from Mouse Trap.

 

But c'mon. Chill. I used to have a hell of a temper gaming as a kid. Destroyed several joysticks, including the CX10. Even destroyed my family's first computer, a ZX Spectrum. I must have chilled out over the years when it comes to gaming. Just had "one of those" sessions on SW Battlefront II and never once had the urge to throw my controller against the wall.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

that's just the thing the controller was not thrown against the wall, the controller was thrown onto the floor about a foot down from me if that it's ridiculous. I'll never stop throwing things or breaking things, it's an Italian thing and it's a man thing sometimes it's fun. I take really good care of my stuff, I clean and rebuild my stuff every single f****** year. I did not expect a controller, I used one time because I threw it on the floor for it to break, nobody ever should that's that's the bottom line.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

TBH Hyperkin has made made some real junk, my son whom takes great care in almost anything he does or touches had a hyperkin charger that didn't fair very well. I've had one of their controllers during game play (and it wasn't frenzied game play) fail. I wasn't too pleased with a few of their docking solutions either. It's not an isolated incident. Let's face it, it's some pretty piss poor parts in these things. I think a number of laptops had gotten more rugged a few years back though...

 

I'd have to agree on one point, most of the parts come from one place for the broad spectrum of today's wonderment.  Rebuilding certain devices using what is supposed to be a 1 for 1 rated part often turns out not to be the case. They use a different testing and rating method than they did back then, the new parts don't take inrush currents into account, nor do they take torsional stress or any other axis into a given rating either, it only needs to meet one axis and it's a pass. This would never have flown in any industrial country of the past, not just the U.S.

Exactly I have the c x 78 from best electronics and that thing will never break granite I don't throw it and I haven't thrown it yet but I promise you when I throw it you'll never break I will guarantee that because there's nothing to it you open it up it has two circuit boards it has the wires and it has the rubber pieces like a normal controller and this is what the analog to. Sorry for the long run on sentence but I'm not going to correct it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...