Jump to content
waali

The family room console cabinet or how many consoles can you fit in a 2x4 kallax.

Recommended Posts

The family room console cabinet, retro gaming for the whole family 

 

Ikea Kallax 4x2 cube unit
Ikea kitchen cabinet legs, kick panels (removable kick panels to access power boards/plug packs, legs wound up to allow air gap above kick panels)
MDF backing
Spa switch for power cutoff

Customer under couch controller storage drawer.

 

Sega SG-1000, RGB mod, SC3000 Megacart, custom scart cable
Sega Master System 2, Master Everdrive, RGB mod, RGC scart cable
Sega Megadrive II, MegaSD, RGC scart cable
Sega Saturn, PicoPSU, MODE purchased, RGC scart cable.
Sega Dreamcast, USB-GDROM, PicoPSU, BitFunX HDMI adapter
Atari 2600 Jnr, Harmony SD, 2600RGB mod/scart cable
Atari Jaguar, RGC scart cable, Jaguar GameDrive when it becomes available
SNK NeoGeo MVS-1C CBOX, Universe Bios v4.0, Clock crystal mod, NeoSD, custom scart cable
Capcom System II, Darksoft multigame, Digital AV Interface, CPS2IO
Sammy Atomiswave, RCA Audio Mod, Modified CPS2IO
Taito F3, Minigun, custom scart cable
Panasonic 3DO FZ-1, USB host controller, 3DORGB mod, RGC scart cable
Concord TVG-203, composite output mod, custom scart cable
Xbox 360, Kinect, Unmodified
Xbox, Xecuter bios, OEM component adapter
Playstation 1, PSIO, RGC scart cable
Playstation 2, Softmod, Pound HD link HDMI adapter
Playstation 3, Unmodified
PC-Engine, Turbo Everdrive, AV-Driver RGB Mod, RGC scart cable
Nintendo NES, Everdrive n8, NESRGB and scart cable
Nintendo SNES, Superdrive, RGC scart cable
Nintendo 64, Everdrive 64, N64RGB mod, RGC scart cable
Nintendo GameCube, GCLoader, SD2SP2, Insurrection Carby HDMI adapter
Nintendo Wii, soft mod, WII2HDMI adapter.

 

OSSC Scaler
WHydra2.1 16 port scart switch
2 x Unnlink HDMI switch 5X1

 

Additional consoles in the lounge:

Xbox One
Nintendo Switch
Nvidia Shield TV
Odroid XU4, OGST Case, Retro Arena image.

 

ACtC-3cMoWOhcy43Af4MOWK9KWsv8A-jlcmuOIku

ACtC-3cnMOmDu7j5mCUrpTjqf4g0geF0S20FvOPF

ACtC-3efEqyJEEO47S-nFf5nBFJj3jT-tzshm8xb

ACtC-3dzx70G9xy5rIn7vD5DE8RBrChJV26G321a

Edited by waali
  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cheers :)

 

A couple of small updates below.

 

Outstanding tasks:

- Install HDMI in to CPS2

- Consolidate most power to the 12/5/-5V PSU and a 9V4A plug pack

- Find an Atari Jaguar

 

Power switches for the jamma devices.

 

2P6F2WBKsjAq__GU-dO5AvLOH-EIMQKBD71vnoXb

 

2.5mm stereo to scart cable for the socket I installed in the pong console. Video wired to composite, red, green, blue and works with the OSSC :)

 

4f5SH6W59HaIrs-EfuGECNL-27ib-mDKKMSVD2WA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When it rains and all that...

Picked up a cheap Jaguar on the weekend via Japan auctions. The day after I was contacted by someone wanting to move their collection along. So now there is one on the way and the three below. Not all are working but that's half the fun!
 

U5hoForJnPFznDB0p-NoHSCA0PpPfyCQHnQl2x1E

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Went over them last night. Consoles are 2 NTSC 1 PAL. PAL: Flawless. NTSC: One with no sound and the other with a red jaguar logo hang screen.

No sound unit has a bad main reg repair including recycled caps... urgh. I'll redo the repair and change the sound reg which wasn't replaced. Also had an internal AV piggyback on the board at some stage which will be cleaned up as well.

Red hang screen unit is clean and untouched internally. Flushed out the cart slot with electronic cleaning solvent and it is now 100%.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really need to get a setup like that. I don't think a drawer full of controllers would fit under my sofa, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Asaki said:

I don't think a drawer full of controllers would fit under my sofa, though.

Same, made taller legs so it would fit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Scart for days. Traded the gscartsw for a Whydra2

ACtC-3fUlLjCkL1xYiQ2hupztkrWG0gADcFHamHg
ACtC-3fa-ioyNspwvbFFNk62dduBFwMYo6doKyzZ

Repaired my original (1.4?) and backup (1.6) crystal xbox's. 1.4 had a bad clock cap which needed a bit of work to fix, had to clean the tracks and remount a few SMD components. Also added a 2tb hdd. 1.6 had rusted shield and bad power caps. Fixed caps and resprayed the shield, not as shiny but much better. Original on the right.

At the same time I fixed the 3rd Jaguar. Replaced the bad power cap job and the sound reg and now we have sound. Also added a SMD diode for power protection.

ACtC-3fg1a7U6OXXFNTXgHWhK50JVZqUGIKHXqbm

Edited by waali
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As someone who has enough devices that use scart to fill that board I overwhelmingly approve. Can't believe new tvs no longer support it! 

 

I tried to do a similar shelving setup with something from aldi. It's essentially a 3x3 grid with the top three not split, so it's 6 boxes and a full row. That's good as a lot of the bigger stuff I have (like the g7000 videopac) doesn't fit in a cube. It's the first thing I've seen that did the job I wanted. I had thought about adding additional shelves as none of the consoles that do fit in the cubes need to be that big, I could easily double the capacity using that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Mikebloke said:

As someone who has enough devices that use scart to fill that board I overwhelmingly approve. Can't believe new tvs no longer support it! 

 

I tried to do a similar shelving setup with something from aldi. It's essentially a 3x3 grid with the top three not split, so it's 6 boxes and a full row. That's good as a lot of the bigger stuff I have (like the g7000 videopac) doesn't fit in a cube. It's the first thing I've seen that did the job I wanted. I had thought about adding additional shelves as none of the consoles that do fit in the cubes need to be that big, I could easily double the capacity using that. 

The cube units easily fit a second console. Recommend getting a cabinet shelf jig and pins so you can move things about.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Power rebuild time. With the new Scart switch I'm using the opportunity to rebuild the power setup.

Most devices will be attached to 5V, 9V and 12V distribution blocks powered by Meanwell 12/5V and 9V PSU's. 12V 5.5A, 9V 4A, 5V 12A which will be more than enough.

This will change the setup from 26 power sockets needed to 11.

The console leads are all labelled with console name, voltage and centre/tip polarity which will help with testing.

 

ACtC-3dg2TWYmjEi5gcASBByPDurzEqLu_2ia1tO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whydra2 and new power setup installed, Pandora Box 6 removed. A few more tweaks and upgrades to go but finally getting more time to play the setup rather than play with the setup.

 

ACtC-3cMoWOhcy43Af4MOWK9KWsv8A-jlcmuOIku

ACtC-3cnMOmDu7j5mCUrpTjqf4g0geF0S20FvOPF

ACtC-3efEqyJEEO47S-nFf5nBFJj3jT-tzshm8xb

ACtC-3dzx70G9xy5rIn7vD5DE8RBrChJV26G321a

Edited by waali

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Small update.

 

Atomiswave is sold and has been replaced with a Sega Naomi which I'm in the process of consolising, all of the Atomiswave and Sega Naomi games via netboot!

Taito F3 has been multigame converted, so many awesome titles to play.

In the process of converting/repairing a Capcom CPS2 case to house and consolise a CPS1 board for the upcoming multi.

Purchased a set of Jaguar overlays from @pboland and am awaiting the public release of the JagGD.

Purchased a CoreGrafx to replace the PC-engine just because and am awaiting stock of the SSDS3

Converting an old X360 PSU to be the main supply for the 12V consoles, DC, SS, MVS, Naomi.

Converting the Saturn to MODE ODE/2tb HDD and FRAM mod.

 

ACtC-3eY5md6DdF04UtT7y5YJgVYJAPRW5nbIZJs

Edited by waali

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's been a while and the collection has become somewhat larger.

Philips CDi 450 with Digital Video Cartridge
- Parts purchased to replace the timekeeper clock with an SMD version that has a replaceable battery
Amiga CD32
- Terrible Fire 330
- Needs to be opened and checked as composite output is shite. 1000uF caps are swollen, looks like this will be next full recap candidate.
Ouya
- Modded fan and rooted it to access third party ouya marketplace
Virtual Boy
- Replacement metal medallion
- HyperFlash32 purchased
Amstrad GX4000
- C4CPC multicart
- Unit had trouble powering on anything but its original 10V plugpack, found 5V reg was faulty and crazy hot. Replaced with modern equivalent, no more heat and now runs on 9v power.
FM Towns Marty
- DocBrown. floppy emulator purchased.
Bandai atMark Pippin with memory module
Bandia Playdia (in post)
Bandai Intellivision
- 220V switch/transformer on ebay to convert
PC-FX (in post)
Neo Geo AES
Nintendo Color TV Game
TV Game 15
Xavix Port (in post)
Pioneer Laseractive with MD module (in post)
Casio PV-1000 (in post)
- Team Europe multicart
Casio Loopy with Magical Shop insert (in post)
Sony PSX (NOT PS1)

Atomiswave (repurchased)

Polygame Master

Other items purchased

Jaguar Gamedrive Multicart

Doc Brown

 

qnnhEyuIjbBRjynRku3TD-f7TYlRsxqFjaHpNdnM

 

TPyNrpDR2H-CdIgK79Ul7Y9yveLfaG9qupD9JbDX

 

EXdKXzvVFp4ZO5AntLbNDE9LZaQ4i301hC_bcOSH

 

FluKwYyTOTFOthT_qjajrnECLGuHHbtyyfNvlV70

 

eNf-daL2NP0oNU1XZM0EQxDDWLt4JFVRGBzQh1si

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/22/2020 at 7:34 PM, waali said:

The family room console cabinet, retro gaming for the whole family 

 

Ikea Kallax 4x2 cube unit
Ikea kitchen cabinet legs, kick panels (removable kick panels to access power boards/plug packs, legs wound up to allow air gap above kick panels)
MDF backing
Spa switch for power cutoff

Customer under couch controller storage drawer.

 

Sega SG-1000, RGB mod, SC3000 Megacart, custom scart cable
Sega Master System 2, Master Everdrive, RGB mod, RGC scart cable
Sega Megadrive II, MegaSD, RGC scart cable
Sega Saturn, PicoPSU, MODE purchased, RGC scart cable.
Sega Dreamcast, USB-GDROM, PicoPSU, BitFunX HDMI adapter
Atari 2600 Jnr, Harmony SD, 2600RGB mod/scart cable
Atari Jaguar, RGC scart cable, Jaguar GameDrive when it becomes available
SNK NeoGeo MVS-1C CBOX, Universe Bios v4.0, Clock crystal mod, NeoSD, custom scart cable
Capcom System II, Darksoft multigame, Digital AV Interface, CPS2IO
Sammy Atomiswave, RCA Audio Mod, Modified CPS2IO
Taito F3, Minigun, custom scart cable
Panasonic 3DO FZ-1, USB host controller, 3DORGB mod, RGC scart cable
Concord TVG-203, composite output mod, custom scart cable
Xbox 360, Kinect, Unmodified
Xbox, Xecuter bios, OEM component adapter
Playstation 1, PSIO, RGC scart cable
Playstation 2, Softmod, Pound HD link HDMI adapter
Playstation 3, Unmodified
PC-Engine, Turbo Everdrive, AV-Driver RGB Mod, RGC scart cable
Nintendo NES, Everdrive n8, NESRGB and scart cable
Nintendo SNES, Superdrive, RGC scart cable
Nintendo 64, Everdrive 64, N64RGB mod, RGC scart cable
Nintendo GameCube, GCLoader, SD2SP2, Insurrection Carby HDMI adapter
Nintendo Wii, soft mod, WII2HDMI adapter.

 

OSSC Scaler
WHydra2.1 16 port scart switch
2 x Unnlink HDMI switch 5X1

 

Additional consoles in the lounge:

Xbox One
Nintendo Switch
Nvidia Shield TV
Odroid XU4, OGST Case, Retro Arena image.

 

ACtC-3cMoWOhcy43Af4MOWK9KWsv8A-jlcmuOIku

ACtC-3cnMOmDu7j5mCUrpTjqf4g0geF0S20FvOPF

ACtC-3efEqyJEEO47S-nFf5nBFJj3jT-tzshm8xb

ACtC-3dzx70G9xy5rIn7vD5DE8RBrChJV26G321a

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, voglr01 said:

Did you customize this cabinet how did you do it?

Extra shelves were cut from 295mm x 16mm Melamine White ABS lengths.

Shelves held in place with shelf pins using a shelf pin jig for the pin holes.

Underneath is ikea kitchen cabinet legs and matching ikea kitchen plastic kick panel cut to size.

Rear is 3mm white mdf panelling attached with double sided tape. 

 

I will be redoing this cabinet with a larger kallax eventually but making the following changes.

- Glass kallax shelves and a few longer custom glass shelves

- Kallax metal underframe, these have only just been released. More room and a studier solution, also more clearance to house a decent 240 to 110V converter.

- Custom panels for the underframe to hide the power distribution.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...