IGNORED

XM Sound Enhanced Games Wanted!

SoundGammon

I was wondering if older games could be hacked & or enhanced for better sound using the XM unit?

Pole Position with voice!  "Prepare To Qualify"

Asteroids with more bass!

RealSports Baseball that talks like the 5200 version! 

I know the source code is needed but it would be cool!

Any other games you can think of?

• Like 3

Ikari Warriors would benefit from a good sound enhancement since it didn't make the Pokey cut. An enhanced 7800 version could easily put it closer to the arcade in sound and music, be that good or bad depending on opinion. Don't think the arcade would have been too hard to pull off.

I'll also mention Ninja Golf to the list. Enhanced sound / music would make this great game, more greater!

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the noob question... do XM enhanced games require additional hardware like the XM module that's in development? Or, is the capability carried in the cartridge? Reading here and other threads, I couldn't figure it out.

Edited by socrates63

@socrates63 In a way that depends on the individual game.

The XM module contains a couple of features like a POKEY, extra RAM, and support for High-Score-Cartridge compatible games that could possibly be used without the XM using existing cartridge designs, but the XM also includes a YM2151 sound chip for even better sound than the POKEY typically delivers, a port for potential keyboard support, and I believe the amount of RAM available on the XM is far more than typical cartridges (128K vs 16K).

Essentially if somebody made something using a minimal amount of the features the XM supports then it could run off an existing (albeit fairly beefy) cartridge type, but anything that makes full use of the XMs feature set would require an XM.

• Thanks 1