IGNORED

Wiimote light gun feels different from CRT aiming.

Well I copied a tangential comment and made it its own topic.  I'll try to remove comment from original site.

I noticed that light gun games are less accurate because they no longer use the screen as a reference they just use a line, the fact it's placed in the middle of the screen, and whether it's placed above the top or below the bottom of the screen, and that's all the wiimote like gun knows.

they should have put the four sensors on the four corners of the screen so it could send three dimensions where the physical screen is.

I notice a difference playing on a large 40in screen and a small 12in screen, with the 40 inch screed forcing you to "underaim" and a 12 inch screen forcing you to "overaim", meaning if you are perfectly in the center and a Target is 25% of the screen to the left of you under aiming is having to aim at like 10% left the center and overaiming needs you have to aim off-screen to hit your target.

Don't like gun on the Wii feels more like a positional gun.  If there was no crosshairs you cannot line it up very well.

However true like guns that use CRT TVs have true aim you can hit those four more different positions that a wiimote gun.

By the way has anyone tried Xbox Kinect  gun aiming or PlayStation Move aiming?  There was just one game Blue Estate, just wanted to know how the Amy was cuz I haven't had a chance to hook up a Kinect yet.  Is it more true to a CRT aim or more true to a Wiimote aim?

•  

There's a few games for Wii that I played (HotD and Ghost Squad off the top of my head) that allow you to remove the crosshair and calibrate the aiming more to a real line of sight rather than the systems universal calibration. While not as accurate as a Guncon or Stunner it still works fairly well as long as you stay seated in the same position you were when you calibrated it.

• 2 weeks later...

I never got the love (hardcore freepass alert) for the Wii and it's "light gun" games. Over all, while I know it sold well, I'd say the Wii was one of the worst modern consoles. Yeah, but say that and here comes " but all those amazing light gun games " yeah, uh, no.

One, like you said already, it's only a motion control mech and is nearly unusable without a crosshair. And even worse, the games where you move are nearly unplayable (in addition to not very fun) due to being unresponsive, slow and sluggish.

Tbh, the only thing the old school zapper did, was look at a blanked screen to see if you were aiming at a light or not. Thing that threw that off was latency, which any half assed console can be programmed to compensate for quite easily. I doubt anyone would buy a new duckhunt for nes to gain a calibration screen so it could be played on a new tv, but no reason new consoles couldn't have a true light gun.

Speaking of new consoles, there's no reason to not put a decent camera and processor in the gun to recognize shapes and colors, so it could tell what you are aiming at when the screen blanks. Of course, if it's good enough tech, it could define what it's looking at with no need to blank the screen at all.

• 3 months later...

Why does everyone use an infrared bar with 2 points of light?

A "Visible Light Camera Gun" would be be better than an infrared positions gun working off 2 points of reference.

Doesn't the Guncon use a composite in signal to sync the gun?  You can use an HDMI signal to compensate for monitor ping and can give a reference of a picture.