IGNORED

A book on Atari ST crackers on Indiegogo

4 hours ago, English Invader said:

I love the idea of this book and if it were on Kickstarter my funding would be an absolute no-brainer but I've never used Indegogo before and I've heard a lot of bad things about them.  Is there any reason why this campaign wasn't launched on Kickstarter?

Hi, I’m the author and publisher of the book. Earlier on, I tried to use Kickstarter. One time I was successful there. But I must admit that I don’t like the interface. In fact it is half-baked and amateurish. Follow back my projects and you’ll notice that my books always have been financed and I deliver.

Indiegogo is more professional and flexible to handle. That’s the main reason I’m there. What also bothered me about Kickster is the low attention span and high cash fluctuation. If a project is not immediately successful, the money quickly flows somewhere else. This has never happened to me at Indiegogo. 

So, I hope to see you soon in the purple edge of the crowdfunding world. :)

Best Regards,

Marco / Microzeit

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Didn't back this for the sole reason that I just learned about it now.  I do have a couple of questions, though.

The author is in Germany.  That's fine, but does the book concentrate on the German cracking scene or the wider one in Europe?

What about the US and elsewhere?

Interested in finding a copy of this, but I'd like to know how far they went with research before putting in the effort to find one.

4 hours ago, DarkLord said:

I ordered "Crackers", I think it was in January.

So almost 2 months now...

Anyone else got their order in?

I just got a mail from them thru Indiegogo and the book is being printed at the moment. The goodies stuff is also being produced at the moment but not yet finished.

I made my contribution in May, 2020 so, yes, it's been a while. But, back then the estimated delivery was feb 2021.

This is interesting - I mean the whole 'cracking' topic is about something not legal, and on top of it it's known how dirty this activity was considering messages to other crews, crackers.  As I see it, it was basically about: "me, the nerd, not popular in skool, in society want to show how capable I'm. Will not only destroy that copy protection, but  add some fancy effects, smaller demo to it".

And publishers added oil on fire with their new protection systems, messages, which were nothing smarter than messages of those (mostly) kids.

In style "don't even try, this is so good ". For me, most funny in whole thing is that crackers self started with protections in all this. Mostly protected own text about who did it, but I even saw case that crack self was not possible to copy without special SW.

Maybe not best time period for this book, considering financial effects of this already too long disease .

• Like 2

Hey guys,

The book is divided into two episodes. While the first part focuses on Europe, it also deals with the relationship of the games industry in the US. The second part deals with the US's underground connection to Europe and the illegal overseas trade in general. Of course, both books belong together and a continuous story is told.

Delivery starts in early April. Between 10–15... 

Visit my shop at www.microzeit.com to see if the product is available...

Edited by Rock a Bit
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, DarkLord said:

Hmm, unless I'm missing something obvious that site doesn't even list

anything about "Crackers".

That seems rather odd....

However, this site does:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-crackers--3#/

That's the same as the one linked in the original post. ;)

9 hours ago, DarkLord said:

Hmm, unless I'm missing something obvious that site doesn't even list

anything about "Crackers".

That seems rather odd....

However, this site does:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-crackers--3#/

When the book will be ready for delivery, you will see it. I just don't like presenting book compositions without a real product. ;)

Edited by Rock a Bit

• 2 weeks later...

Curious.... A lot of the cracker/scener things that have come out have spoken VERY little of BBS'ing and phreaking.. two things that absolutely allowed large scale cracking to occur - at least in the pre-1994 world (and even a bit later)....

Does your project go very far into either subject? Codes, bluebox usage, VMB to spread the w0rd, running BBSs to host the files, users???

9 hours ago, doctor_x said:

Curious.... A lot of the cracker/scener things that have come out have spoken VERY little of BBS'ing and phreaking.. two things that absolutely allowed large scale cracking to occur - at least in the pre-1994 world (and even a bit later)....

Does your project go very far into either subject? Codes, bluebox usage, VMB to spread the w0rd, running BBSs to host the files, users???

Thank you for questioning. It does feature a little history of phreaking as well as it will explain the difference of hacking and cracking. The first book (it’s a two-part series) goes back to the start of BBS’s. But to be honest it’s not very deep because the second book will focus on BBS trading and oversea networking. The first one concentrates on European disk trading and its US influences. Especially the second part will show how "BBS" worked. It should also feature a controversial biopic of a member of the Amiga scene. And many guest parts will be included. Both books include a continuous story with strong scene characters and their underground experiences in 80s and 90s software industry and technology: roots, conflicts and visions. It’s more than Atari ST. The German C64 scene around Radwar is also in it. Sidekicks to Apple II, BBC Micro, Sinclair Spectrum and Amstrad CPC. It is full of citations – Rob Northen speaks out for instance. The books are written in a narrative way and try to capture the digital momentum in pre internet times, either in technology, society, club culture, scene and in the media, press or industry.  

Best Regards 

Love the books you all put out.

Can't wait for the Covid-19 situation, now that a working

vaccine is out, to die down.

I mean, the shipping situation is just ridiculous.

I paid on January 25th.

Beyond the Borders 2/3 took almost 3 months to get here.

I know it's not your company's fault - just looking forward

to when things get back to normal...  :)

On 4/7/2021 at 3:22 AM, Rock a Bit said:

Thank you for questioning. It does feature a little history of phreaking as well as it will explain the difference of hacking and cracking. The first book (it’s a two-part series) goes back to the start of BBS’s. But to be honest it’s not very deep because the second book will focus on BBS trading and oversea networking. The first one concentrates on European disk trading and its US influences. Especially the second part will show how "BBS" worked. It should also feature a controversial biopic of a member of the Amiga scene. And many guest parts will be included. Both books include a continuous story with strong scene characters and their underground experiences in 80s and 90s software industry and technology: roots, conflicts and visions. It’s more than Atari ST. The German C64 scene around Radwar is also in it. Sidekicks to Apple II, BBC Micro, Sinclair Spectrum and Amstrad CPC. It is full of citations – Rob Northen speaks out for instance. The books are written in a narrative way and try to capture the digital momentum in pre internet times, either in technology, society, club culture, scene and in the media, press or industry.  

Best Regards 

ill get it no matter what.. but disappointing that phreaking as it applied to enabling the piracy scene is unfortunate.

thanks for the reply

• 3 weeks later...