IGNORED

Installation Guide: How to run the TI-99/4A MAME Version on a Raspberry Pi 4

Sid1968

Also note that the various emulations in MAME have very different performance requirements. If some arcade machine emulation runs smoothly, this does not mean anything for another system emulation. One of the performance killers of the TI-99/8 emulation are the 24 GROMs, each of them emulated with a state machine and a clock pulse (and, of course, the TMS9995).

https://www.mizapf.de/en/ti99/mame/mamereq

In short: Will not fully suffice, but if you don't mind some stuttering sounds and that the emulation is slower than the real iron, you can use it. Still, I would not recommend it. Aren't you glad that your PC could make use of its mostly unused power? I suppose you don't enjoy watching your Raspi suffering. ;)

Edited by mizapf

25 minutes ago, mizapf said:

If I take the ARM frequency at overclocked at 2000 and divide it by the ARM frequency normally at 1500, then multiply it by Geneve Raspberry PI performance of 71%, I come  up with just over 94%.  Is that a fair estimate to expect?

The more reliable calculation is the raw performance (without graphic output), where the 84% would possibly raise up to 112%. You'd have a 12% buffer to spend on graphic output. Could be OK. I'd be interested in your numbers and add them to my table.

Edited by mizapf

Actually we use Raspbian Buster for our project.

I inform you about that with the latest firmware version from Commitnumber 4e0af7eb74aad67ad0e219f9ec5e975e84362100 from May 12th 2020 by Raspbian Buster NO audiodevice can be found.

I have described the problem here:
https://github.com/Hexxeh/rpi-firmware/issues/224

As long as we cannot use a newer Linux version, we should use the commit number 8d64ec7016906fb1f2bbe937dd7401705c5acf33 from May 1st, 2020.

This also counts as a troubleshooting if you have already installed a newer firmware.

A firmware update (or troubleshooting) is now done as follows:

sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade -y && sudo apt full-upgrade -y && sudo apt autoremove && sudo apt autoclean
sudo rpi-update 8d64ec7016906fb1f2bbe937dd7401705c5acf33
sudo rpi-eeprom-update -a
sudo reboot

After that, firmware updates should no longer be carried out until we will use a newer Linux Version.

Cheers

Sid

Edited by Sid1968

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/23/2020 at 3:06 PM, Sid1968 said:

For access via ftp to the Raspberry Pi install a ftp-server: sudo apt install vsftpd

Now the ftp-server needs to be configured:

This opens the configfile with nano-editor: sudo nano /etc/vsftpd.conf

This must be set:

anonymous_enable=NO
        local_enable=YES
        write_enable=YES

This must be added:

download_enable=YES

After that save the config file with STRG+O and leave the editor with STRG+X

Then give your Raspberry Pi a: sudo reboot

Who of you gave this ancient advice? ?

If you have activated SSH as described above, you can not only connect to the Raspberry Pi 4 with "putty" via SSH,

but also with the (S)FTP client "Filezilla" via SFTP. This is not only easier, but also more secure than the FTP solution.

No extra ftp-server must be installed! ?

Cheers

Sid

Edited by Sid1968

18 hours ago, BeeryMiller said:

FYI, on the Geneve with MyTerm for the TIPI, I can SSH in and use the FTP client on the PI to FTP files to the TIPI directories.  

Beery

For SSH you need a SFTP-Client like Filezilla on Port 22.

Cheers

Sid

Edited by Sid1968

16 minutes ago, Sid1968 said:

For SSH you need a SFTP-Client like Filezilla on Port 22.

Cheers

Sid

I telnet into port 23, and then with an installed FTP client on the PI, I am able to transfer files to any path on the TIPI.

Beery

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/26/2020 at 11:00 AM, Sid1968 said:

I also bought a case with the "Ice Tower" Cooler here. This Cooler performed very well in tests.

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B07ZDN6LSR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The fan can be operated, by changing the connection of the cable on the Raspberry Pi 4, in high-speed or low-speed mode. If it runs, like me, in low-speed mode, it is practically inaudible. I am very happy with it.

You can read a review of the "Ice Tower" Cooler here:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/52pi-ice-tower-raspberry-pi-4-cooler,6259.html

Edited by Sid1968

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/13/2020 at 12:21 PM, Sid1968 said:

Actually we use Raspbian Buster for our project.

I inform you about that with the latest firmware version from Commitnumber 4e0af7eb74aad67ad0e219f9ec5e975e84362100 from May 12th 2020 by Raspbian Buster NO audiodevice can be found.

I have described the problem here:
https://github.com/Hexxeh/rpi-firmware/issues/224

As long as we cannot use a newer Linux version, we should use the commit number 8d64ec7016906fb1f2bbe937dd7401705c5acf33 from May 1st, 2020.

This also counts as a troubleshooting if you have already installed a newer firmware.

A firmware update (or troubleshooting) is now done as follows:

sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade -y && sudo apt full-upgrade -y && sudo apt autoremove && sudo apt autoclean
sudo rpi-update 8d64ec7016906fb1f2bbe937dd7401705c5acf33
sudo rpi-eeprom-update -a
sudo reboot

After that, firmware updates should no longer be carried out until we will use a newer Linux Version.

Cheers

Sid

Here is a better way to solve the audioissue.

In order to basically restore the previous, working state of the audio processing, the file "cmdline.txt" must be edited.

To do this, remove your SD card from the Raspberry Pi4, insert it into a card reader and open the file "cmdline.txt" with a text editor.

Now add this line to the end of the existing line:

snd_bcm2835.enable_hdmi = 1 snd_bcm2835.enable_headphones = 1 snd_bcm2835.enable_compat_alsa = 1

This method has the advantage that updates and new firmware can be imported again at will because the audio settings changed

in this way in "cmdline.txt" apply to the entire Linux level regardless of changes due to updates and new firmware.

Cheers

Sid

Edited by Sid1968

I re-read this thread, and I admit I don't know what the main point is.

- MAME provably runs on my RPi4

- You asked for framebuffer support, but I found that this support was dropped long ago

- You said that you'd go for a desktop solution now

- In the above post you referred to an issue with the sound output after a firmware update and the Raspbian Buster. This is obviously outside of MAME.

I did not know that you are waiting for an action from me.

• Like 1

On 6/28/2020 at 12:36 AM, arcadeshopper said:

so to clarify..

you are asking the author of the mame ti emulation to make you a menu you could write in bash or python in about 30 seconds?   perhaps you just need to google "how do i write a bash script" "how do i make a menu in linux"

Greg  

Yes, you are almost correct. But you are wrong that I can do it, and certainly not in 30 seconds. So far I have not been able to start mame with the previous parameters. I got only errormessages. That's why I started this thread. I did what I can to help resolve it.

I am not just asking mizapf, but everyone who can create a menu as described in the first thread.

It should be in the interest of the TI community to run an emulator on a Linux platform like the Raspberry Pi that is easy for EVERYONE to install. That is the goal of this thread.

Cheers

Sid

Edited by Sid1968