IGNORED

Another 1979 800

Colleton

12 minutes ago, Colleton said:

The bottom case half is in one piece now and is solid.  It will never be a beauty queen, but it works.  I'm probably going to have to paint it, although I hate the idea.  What paint is a good color match for the 800?  Anyone?

The Retro Recipes channel on YouTube painted a 400 that they botched a retrobrite job on.  They found a spray paint that seemed to match pretty well, if you go track that down.

Are you sure painting is going to help?  The cracks will still be there...  Maybe if you were able to fill them in with something and paint it afterwards.  Or just leave it as is and do retrobriting.

Edited by jamm

21 minutes ago, jamm said:

Maybe if you were able to fill them in with something and paint it afterwards.  Or just leave it as is and do retrobriting.

It's in the back yard, light brightening right now.  There are enough valleys and seams in it though that I think filling and painting is the only viable route in the end though.

I'll watch that video again, had forgotten it.  Thanks!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Colleton said:

The bottom case half is in one piece now and is solid.  It will never be a beauty queen, but it works.  I'm probably going to have to paint it, although I hate the idea.  What paint is a good color match for the 800?  Anyone?

The bottom case half isn't that visible in normal use, you could leave as is for now and fix it later if you decide you can't live with it. To preserve the machines history I would suggest keeping the original serial number label and stamp impression, as even with visible repairs I think they add value to collectors.

• Like 2

On 4/23/2020 at 8:16 PM, Colleton said:

After removing the remains of the case I fired it up, and it works like a champ.  OS Rev A, and it has an 8K memory card.  I'd never seen one before and expect that they aren't that common.  Anyone know what they're worth?

l_sm.png

m_sm.png

Certainly rare. Valuable? I don't know. Many 8K boards were converted to 16K in the day, a fairly simple mod. Every club had a guy who would do it for members. Some shops would do it for a price. One down side of those boards is they have tin contacts instead of gold, so they're prone to corrosion.

• Like 1