IGNORED

Full Bottle, cartoon game

gfvh

OMG! That's wonderful!

Hey, something that might make the project a bit easier to complete would be to make the controls a single button.  Play movie until action needs to happen, alert player with sound (good or bad) and proceed based on that.  I modified Dragon's Lair that way and can show the video to you privately if you would like.  There is a whole audience hoping for such a thing.  I have contacts who would be interested too!  Nice work!  I'm going to watch it some more!  :)

THUMBS WAY UP!  AMAZING!!!

Edited by cm5vam9mbHRy

Thank you very much!!! It means a lot to me the feedback.

I had made a little program to show images, its not optimal, that I would use in an adventure game, and then I thought I could do Dragon's Lair but the graphics are very complicated so I decided to make a new game and it is inspired in Full Throttle by Lucasarts.

• Like 1

On 4/25/2020 at 11:15 AM, gfvh said:

It rolls the screen? I can't test on real hardware. In javatari it rolls the screen. Not with the 128k ROM. It does not accept it. I upload a 4k ROM for testing in javatari.

It actually freezes on the first frame on my Harmony Encore. I'll try the new version soon and let you know if this also does the same.

Hadn't tried it on real hardware yet (will later) but plays well on my phone via 2600.emu (Stella fork). It's smooth and reminds me of the into to Flashback or like your inspiration Dragons Lair. I definitely need to try hardware because on my phone the cartoon is so small it's hard to see wants going on. I like the implementation of the joystick decision for choosing your path like DL.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, uosipa llamxew said:

I love it so much... 

Back when I did Dragon's Lair and Space Ace (one button), I also did a bit of Badlands and Road Avenger.  This kind of could be like Road Avenger, I think.  Very very cool.  Cheers!

Thank you!!!

• Like 1

I am going to nominate this for homebrew of the year.  :D What I think needs to happen is that you write or have someone write up some documentation.  I think too many people are ignoring this project because they are confused and do not understand the features.  :)  I am so blown away by this.  Bravo!@  :)❤️ 

• Like 1

The screen rolls on real hardware because it is using 286 screen lines - it needs to be reduced to 262 lines for 60Hz NTSC.

I have defined the following macros to get the timings accurate:

VBLANKDELAY = 44               ; 60Hz - (37*76)/64 ~ 44
SCREENDELAY = 229             ; 60Hz - (192*76)/64 ~ 229
OVERDELAY   = 35                ; 60Hz - (30*76)/64 ~ 35

; Start Vertical Blank Macro
    MAC START_VBLANK
    ldx #2                      ; VSYNC enable
    sta WSYNC
    stx VSYNC
    sta WSYNC
    sta WSYNC
    ldx #0                      ; VSYNC disable
    sta WSYNC
    stx VSYNC
    ldx #VBLANKDELAY
    stx TIM64T                  ; Set VBlank Timer
    ENDM

; Wait for Vertical Blank End Macro
    MAC WAIT_VBLANK
.WaitVblank
    lda INTIM
    bne .WaitVblank
    sta VBLANK
    sta WSYNC                   ; [0]
    ENDM

; Start Screen Macro
    MAC START_SCREEN
    ldx #SCREENDELAY            ; [0] + 2
    stx TIM64T                  ; [2] + 3
    ENDM

; Wait for Screen End Macro
    MAC WAIT_SCREEN
.WaitFrame
    lda INTIM
    bne .WaitFrame
    ENDM

; Start Overscan Macro
    MAC START_OVERSCAN
    ldx #2
    ldy #OVERDELAY
    sta WSYNC                   ; [0]
    stx VBLANK                  ; [0] + 3
    sty TIM64T                  ; [3] + 3
    ENDM

; Wait for Overscan End Macro
    MAC WAIT_OVERSCAN
.WaitOverscan
    lda INTIM
    bne .WaitOverscan
    ENDM

Then your main code can be done like:

MainLoop:

START_VBLANK

WAIT_VBLANK

START_SCREEN

WAIT_SCREEN

START_OVERSCAN

WAIT_OVERSCAN

jmp MainLoop

Chris

Edited by cd-w
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, gfvh said:

Thank you!

Fixed.

Can you post a binary for the fixed version?

It looks like an interesting concept, but hard to work out what to do - can you also post some instructions?

Chris

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, cd-w said:

Can you post a binary for the fixed version?

It looks like an interesting concept, but hard to work out what to do - can you also post some instructions?

Chris

The binary is inside the last zip that I uploaded. The instructions are simple. When you see a sign with an arrow press the key pointing to the direction of the arrow (or move the joystick). The last one there is no arrow but pressing any button will do :)

• Thanks 1

Pretty interesting concept.  Can you make the text in the bar last a little longer though?  It goes by a little too fast for me to read it all.

I'm not sure I understand if I'm doing things correct after leaving the bar.  There seems to be an up arrow, but I get the same result no matter what I press or don't press.  Seems like I get hit by the truck then I'm between 2 of them, then I jump a ravine and the trucks fall in and the end?

Edited by KevinMos3
  • Like 1

Yes. That's right. If you don't press any key while in the dumpster a garbage truck takes you away. But you are right that is enough to press any key. And that is the way the game ends with the truck falling in the chasm. If you don't press any button before that, the punk girl atop the truck fires an arrow to your friend in the bike riding next to the truck. When you are hit by the truck you end up above it. You see only the feet of the protagonist.

• Thanks 1