Jump to content
Games Retrospect

Which Games Have Become More Collectible During the Quarantine?

Recommended Posts

Maybe someone has asked this before, but I was wondering if any of you is keeping track of the games that are becoming more expensive/hard to get during the quarantine due to their high demand. I read that Wii Sports is almost impossible to get in some places, then I looked up Wii Sports Resort (which I don't own sadly) and it seems like that game is also more expensive than it used to be. I assume that Ring Fit Adventure is extremely expensive and maybe Wii Fit will finally be collectible?? I finally started playing the Xbox One version of Rocksmith 2014 again and when I tried to get a copy of Rocksmith for the Xbox 360 so that I can import all those songs, I realized that that game is really hard to get CIB (at least where I live). Any other games that are either expensive or more collectible now that everyone is forced to stay inside? Thanks in advance and stay safe!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Speaking of Wii Fit a friend of mine mentioned she was surprised at how expensive the bundle had become. I remember grabbing one at St. Vincent's for $40 bucks just back in January. They have definitely increased in price. As for games in general, especially Nintendo Switch stuff the shortage is making it nearly impossible to go to the store and pick up good games or systems. The Animal Crossing Amiibo cards and merchandise is definitely being scalped because of the quarantine. I can't think of really anything else I've seen that has increased in price. I keep a watchful eye on Pricecharting and if the value of my collection has increased or decreased, it has increased in value in the last month, which indicates to me that more people are naturally buying online because stores are closed. 

Edited by Jettgogaming

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This quarantine is short lived, and it's not really a quarantine now anymore. Everybody's out and about here.

 

I can't imagine it affecting prices on gaming stuff significantly. It'll be the employment situation that'll determine where entertainment dollars are spent. Or gathered from by the selling of collections to make rent and stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wii Fit is the popular go-to now that Ring Fit is essentially sold out worldwide, unless you love overpaying a scalper. Not too surprised its price may go up slightly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think collectible is entirely the wrong word to be using here even by your own list of choice games/accessories.

 

None of that is collectible, it's a mix of new stuff, and pack-in stuff.  What you have is an effort to drive up the value on some stuff people feel would mitigate their boredom and keep them more active being penned up inside if anything since we're talking motion games basically with Wii Sports, Ring Fit on Switch etc.  Old Wii Sports was a $5 game forever, easily found for $1-2 at a thrift no less as really no one wanted it.  As weird as it is now in the last couple of months dumb people with more time being on their hands stuck at home seemingly have pushed it into the $30 realm which is nuts.  Ring Fit I know on the scalper market is annoyingly over the value it actually is at, and the Switches are the same too do to product line interruptions.  It's a scalper problem, a boredom problem, not a collectible problem.  I really doubt people in 1 year let alond 10-20 are going to be chomping at the bit to drop a $100 on Wii Sports or $200 for a clean looking Ring Fit device and game card.

 

Right now I will add away from your choice of games and stuff, it is really the sorta lockdown/quarantine thing doing some damage but also the stimulus that went to anyone under a pay grade level if they were working or not.  For those who didn't lose 1-2 incomes in a home it was free money.  Some save, some repair stuff, others fritter.  In the last 2 weeks I have seen ebay sales on stuff unmatched in any month/year I've put stuff online as far as I can ever remember (I've been on there since it opened in 1997.)  In two weeks I've so far run one 5 day auction, paused a few days, and a day and a half ago put up another run of things.  I've sold 34 items and still with 3 days 20~hours left on the clock with 47 active and 1 of those with a bid.  It has been items as high as a few I put up at/just a bit over $100 down to $10-15 stuff.  I'm usually lucky when I do the free 50 clearing around 10 items in that time.  I didn't even raise my rates like a lot of trolls I've noticed have done, either left them or cut them a little bit considering what's going on.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only one that I can think of is the Wii.

 

Being stuck in the house and playing Wii Sports and Sports Resort had been a hit in my house.  I had grown tired of waggle years ago but with my 5 year old were having a blast. 

 

Funny, I bought carnival games. I never owned it and thought "I know its shovel-ware but maybe it will be okay". Nope!  Its complete crap. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Keatah said:

This quarantine is short lived, and it's not really a quarantine now anymore. Everybody's out and about here.

Depends on where you are. Most of the country is still under a stay at home order (and businesses are closed, so nowhere for people to go even if they wanted to).

 

Anyway, those that are opening up will be back under quarantine soon enough.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/1/2020 at 2:08 AM, spacecadet said:

Depends on where you are. Most of the country is still under a stay at home order (and businesses are closed, so nowhere for people to go even if they wanted to).

I read an interesting article yesterday.  I don't have the link anymore, but essentially it said that after studying cellphone movement, some researchers figured at the peak of the restrictions, road traffic in the USA was down by roughly 75% in late March.  Now, both from lifting of restrictions in some areas, and people just plain ignoring restrictions in other places, road traffic is down by about 35% from normal. 

 

Those numbers sound about right to me.  My area doesn't have "shelter-in-place" orders, but folks have been asked to self-isolate and practice social distancing.  I've going outside for daily walks (being careful to avoid other folks of course), and in the weeks before the Easter weekend, it was almost a ghost town here - very few vehicles, pedestrians, or bicycles.  Since Easter, people have been definitely going out more, and I'd guess that traffic of all kinds has increased substantially.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think also, with so many game stores closed due to stay at home orders, many people are seeing Ebay as the only game in town right now- so they're just paying whatever Ebay is charging. 

 

Not surprisingly, most of the collectors I know have largely stopped buying new games & are waiting for things to 'normal out' a bit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been steadily good on moving stuff out of my closet I've sat on for months around the 50 free so it's nice.  Hopefully I get through enough but not too much of it, hate to run low. ;)  I probably should take an evening and do some serious photographic effort of my vintage toy boxes I have 2 of with stuff in them and see about little boxes or padded bags depending.  I've mostly moved games after what I saw, but the few toys I've dropped up there mostly G1 Transformer related, they went.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/24/2020 at 12:09 PM, Jettgogaming said:

Speaking of Wii Fit a friend of mine mentioned she was surprised at how expensive the bundle had become. I remember grabbing one at St. Vincent's for $40 bucks just back in January. They have definitely increased in price. As for games in general, especially Nintendo Switch stuff the shortage is making it nearly impossible to go to the store and pick up good games or systems. The Animal Crossing Amiibo cards and merchandise is definitely being scalped because of the quarantine. I can't think of really anything else I've seen that has increased in price. I keep a watchful eye on Pricecharting and if the value of my collection has increased or decreased, it has increased in value in the last month, which indicates to me that more people are naturally buying online because stores are closed. 

 

Wiifit or WiiFit Plus and the board are still around $20 to $40 from completed ebay listings over the last few weeks. It's The Wii Sports and Wii Sports Resort games that have made big gains in sale prices. I have multiple copies of Wii Sports sitting in a box somewhere. I'm temped to flip them over to get other games I actually want that I don't have.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Shawn said:

 

Wiifit or WiiFit Plus and the board are still around $20 to $40 from completed ebay listings over the last few weeks. It's The Wii Sports and Wii Sports Resort games that have made big gains in sale prices. I have multiple copies of Wii Sports sitting in a box somewhere. I'm temped to flip them over to get other games I actually want that I don't have.

Might as well on those Sports copies you have.  When these started to hit the $30-40 range I had no idea, and I was sitting on 3 spare copies.  First person I saw looking on facebook in a group I am in looking to complete a few systems I sold them and for a fraction considering what they went to.   If you want to max it out, now is the time, because once people can go outside freely again I see the stuff falling off as they're just ghetto pack-in titles.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Might as well on those Sports copies you have.  When these started to hit the $30-40 range I had no idea, and I was sitting on 3 spare copies.  First person I saw looking on facebook in a group I am in looking to complete a few systems I sold them and for a fraction considering what they went to.   If you want to max it out, now is the time, because once people can go outside freely again I see the stuff falling off as they're just ghetto pack-in titles.

 

I agree. I have a few just from buying Wii systems and game lots over the years. At $35 each that is trading 2 Wii Sports for 1 new AAA title. You can't beat that kinda trade :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not at all it makes sense if people want to be that bizarre about putting such a value on well something like that.  I put it in line with trying to charge $30 for a loose copy of Super Mario Bros 1 or 3 and GB Tetris, their other largest pack-ins.  I couldn't do it, so I just let someone else put them to use.  I don't much look for games anymore, very little that isn't a random new thing I'd want so trading has become difficult.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only games that are more collectible these days are the good ones. The ones people want to spend time playing. Nobody is paying more for Rise of the Robots on SNES or Genesis, but I think we're seeing a gentle uptick to a huge overshoot (depending on rarity) on games that people enjoy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Definitely seen an uptick on price for games. I use a price aggregator to catalog my collection. The value as a whole has gone up about 2 grand over the past 3 months. I have a couple gamecube games that have gone up by a third since the beginning of the year. It's anyone's guess if the trend will continue after things open up again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've seen it too, most recently with me refusing to pay $70+ for Fire Emblem on DS as that's straight up bs.  I've got it on watch as they still come up lower.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On Thursday, May 07, 2020 at 11:47 AM, derFunkenstein said:

The only games that are more collectible these days are the good ones. The ones people want to spend time playing. Nobody is paying more for Rise of the Robots on SNES or Genesis, but I think we're seeing a gentle uptick to a huge overshoot (depending on rarity) on games that people enjoy. 

Call me a noob and I'm definitely familiar with rarity club but you don't happen to know how rare rise of the robots is do you?  I collect snes games and I love picking up cheap obscure stuff.  Got it a while back for  $8 Canadian.  It's pretty bad haha.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...