IGNORED

Are you pretty much done buying TI stuff... for now?

Omega-TI

Buying TI stuff...  

38 members have voted

1. 1. When it comes to buying TI-99/4A related stuff... (multiple choice)

• Yes, I'm done, I've got everything I want.
    • Nope, there is still more stuff I need to get my hands on.
    • Yes, for now, we'll see if things change in the future.
    • Yes, I'm done, I don't even use all the stuff I already have.
    • Yes, in fact I need to get rid of stuff.

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

At this point in time, have you pretty much come to the conclusion "you're done" buying TI stuff because you have everything you currently want, don't use everything you have or don't see anything new "that does it for you"?  Of course it's not to say "something" in the future could change this, but for "right now".

I mean, on the one hand, I'm not really a "collector" at all, so I'm not looking to buy carts or consoles or that sort of thing on any sort of regular basis just for the sake of it.

But on the other hand, there are a few things I would buy if they became available (which they're not likely to, on any sort of regular basis). 

Like an MBX (would love to do in-depth reviews and gameplay/usage recordings for all the MBX games and the hardware itself). 

And I guess a thermal printer.  Maybe a TI-99/4. 

But as I say, I'm not a collector.  So if it exists as a good, clean ROM dump usable on FGROM, I don't really have any desire to acquire it and probably never will.

As new tech becomes available in the community (Sidecar SAMS and such), I'll always be interested in that though.  So I don't figure that will ever end. 

• Like 1

I clicked "Nope"

My collection is open-ended--not a goal I'm trying to finish. I'm always browsing to see what comes up for sale, then deciding if I want to jump on it.  I try to buy the new hardware that comes out!

I find weird items I didn't know I needed. And some "normal" stuff. In the past year:

• Another TI-99/4 Zenith TV monitor
  • A floppy drive and XT keyboard for my Geneve (Tim fixed it all up, thanks!)
  • TI's "Le Clown Magique" (Amanda fixed the broken solder joints, and I identified the speech chip). It is a frightening sliced clown head that speaks French. We have the English version, Clarence.
  • Some TI Watches
  • A genuine TI dust cover 
  • A CC-40 and Memo Processor
  • Lots of genuine TI chips (DRAMs, 99105, 9902, TMS5220C etc)
  • Another Samsung 910MP monitor
  • I was gifted a CF7+ from Charles Good (through Jim Fetzner) because I fried my NanoPeb just before my Chicago TI Faire demo.

I'm always looking for TI-99/4 era things to fill out my collection. Black Modules, working sidecars. Finding a Thermal Printer is something I never thought about, but I would go for it now.

I still haven't gone for a FinalGROM. 

10 minutes ago, dhe said:

How could someone consider answering yes, when the sdd99, f18a mkii, geneve 2020 and TinyTI have not even been released yet!

The only thing that tickles my fancy is the F18A MKII, but to be perfectly honest, I am not certain right now what I will do with one.

Actually, I will be selling the Geneve I picked up several years back.  I will just never have the time to put into it like I thought.  Have to make sure it works, first.  Already sold my P-Code card for the same reason, though I took a 40% loss on that.  The lesson there is to make certain I will have time to devote to a project before I put my money into it.

• Like 1

I dunno. Why do you ask? ;)

Tech-wise, I'm almost always on the trailing edge. In TI about the same as in all other things. My all-stock TI is still just the way I set it up over three decades ago. I'm going modern by slowly porting my disks to emulation with term programs over RS232, pretty much the same way I've done it since forever.

My Macs all date to 2007 and older, because they all will run my even older favorite apps. Still have 2 VCRs, used mostly to funnel analog TV from HD Dish around the house. Listen to AM radio. I drive old cars, 2002 is the "new" one. Most all my tools date from well into the previous century. I own 8-tracks, tube radios... Should I stop now?

Not to say I don't ever try or buy anything "new" that's TI-related. Just to play around with Classic99, I recently picked up my first PC, its able to boot Windows XP. :-o

I guess I was in full-retro-mode when retro was called junk! Heck, I even remember back when they first delivered dirt™ to these parts. :grin:

If I adopt some "new" technology, that usually means it's already on the way out.

-Ed

• Like 2

4 hours ago, dhe said:

How could someone consider answering yes, when the sdd99, f18a mkii, geneve 2020 and TinyTI have not even been released yet!

I'll take a crack at that.  It could be one or more of the following reasons...

1) The wife say's "NO MORE!" ... or

2) They do not have room for more stuff... or

3) They cannot afford more stuff... or

4) They do not have the time to split up their hobby any more... or

5) They are losing interest... or

6) They are already heavily invested into a specific expansion path already.

7) They need to downsize due to medical/heath reasons while they are still able to do so.

There's probably more reasons, but those were just off the top of my head.

On 4/26/2020 at 4:29 AM, Ksarul said:

Bigger house=room for more stuff, @Schmitzi ;) Problem solved (and I may need to follow that suggestion myself, as She-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed is growling about the packed state of the dungeon again).

Maybe you remember, I moved to "that bigger house" 2 years ago ;) :D

• Like 1

On 4/26/2020 at 4:29 AM, Ksarul said:

Bigger house=room for more stuff, @Schmitzi ;) Problem solved (and I may need to follow that suggestion myself, as She-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed is growling about the packed state of the dungeon again).

Maybe you remember, I moved to "that bigger house" 2 years ago ;) :D