IGNORED

Ultimate 1MB, Incognito, SIDE, 1088XEL/XLD U1MB Firmware 3.10 Released

flashjazzcat

Thanks, flash!

I purchased an incognito from lotharek two months ago with your firmware, and am planning on installing it soon. I’ve seen a few videos on your channel that should have me covered (thanks again!)

As a total newb to these, is there a definitive guide somewhere on how to upgrade them to the latest software? There seems to be a lot of information available, some of which doesn’t appear to apply to the revision of hardware I have. It’s a bit overwhelming from where I sit :)

1 minute ago, EzdineG said:

As a total newb to these, is there a definitive guide somewhere on how to upgrade them to the latest software? There seems to be a lot of information available, some of which doesn’t appear to apply to the revision of hardware I have. It’s a bit overwhelming from where I sit :)

There's a general guide in the manual, but I'm gonna bite the bullet and make a video (probably tomorrow) showing all possible methods of doing the updates. There are four or five different ways of doing it (including FAT-hosted ATRs, FAT-hosted ROM files, etc) which a lot of people probably don't realise are possible. Check out the README files as well if you're unclear about which file is which.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I somehow missed the manual. Definitely required reading, I'm sure.

I'm sure my question is answered somewhere in those 77 pages, but I'm gonna ask anyway.

The GOS demo is just a demo, so I'm not certain I'll leave it. I may go with one of the larger SDX images instead. My question is, what the difference between the 128KB/256KB/320KB SDX images?

Thanks to anyone that can give me an answer. A nice simple answer will do to, it doesn't need to be tons of detail, as I'm sure I'll learn over time and from reading through the manual.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bfollowell said:

what the difference between the 128KB/256KB/320KB SDX images?

The larger images (well, the 320K one) have a complete set of 'MAN' files (online help files). I had to strip them out of the 256K ROM when I updated FDISK (the imaging tool reported sufficient free space, but could not manage to pack the files into the available banks until I removed all the help files), and the 192K ROM is far too small for a complete set of help files.

You can add stuff to the ROM yourself (using the SDX Imaging tool on the official site), so having more space on CAR: can be extremely useful.

Not sure if this helps, but *.MAN files can be compressed with ARC. For example one can do ARC M FOO FOO.MAN, then rename the resulting archive to FOO.MAN and the MAN.COM should still be able to display it provided ARC is not removed from $PATH and provided the $TEMP is defined and points to a directory on a writable storage of sufficient size.

• Like 8

36 minutes ago, Roydea6 said:

The 'L' option from the bios menu activates the FAT32 area ok but I do not see any ATR's just XEX's.

SIDE1 bug in PBI BIOS. Thanks Roy. This is proving to be a difficult weekend. ;)

36 minutes ago, Roydea6 said:

Also what is the function of the plugin SIDEP.ROM

From the README file:

Capture.thumb.PNG.5759caf102e275a26960034e51c15177.PNG

3 hours ago, Roydea6 said:

The 'L' option from the bios menu activates the FAT32 area ok but I do not see any ATR's just XEX's.

Fixed and re-uploaded. Thanks again.

U1MB owners with SIDE1 should apply the U1MB firmware update from 26 April 2020. This corrects a physical disk access bug with SIDE1 carts. Apologies for any inconvenience. Corrected PBI BIOS component will show a revision date of 26/04/20 (accessible via 'Slot Properties' in UFLASH):

252063187_pbiupdate.thumb.png.76ab80bf2ad0384a02563edcd093640f.png

Edited by flashjazzcat
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, 800xl_1984 said:

Can't remember how to flash from SIO2SD to SIDE2 when no U1MB installed. Can someone point me to the step by step instructions?

Thanks,

J.

I just did this with the SIDE V.1 using an SDrive

1) Mount the ATR you want to use as D1:

2) Boot with SpartaDOS enabled.

3) For the FULL versions just type SIDE2 at the DOS prompt, then answer the flashers questions.

For the other 2 versions type FLASH_S2, I haven't done this myself as I only flashed the FULL version.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, BillC said:

I just did this with the SIDE V.1 using an SDrive

1) Mount the ATR you want to use as D1:

2) Boot with SpartaDOS enabled.

3) For the FULL versions just type SIDE2 at the DOS prompt, then answer the flashers questions.

For the other 2 versions type FLASH_S2, I haven't done this myself as I only flashed the FULL version.

Thanks, Bill. Tried this with memory error. Happened upon a post that indicated you must boot with the shift key depressed in order to free up enough RAM for UFLASH to load. Works now.

J.

Edited by 800xl_1984

3 minutes ago, 800xl_1984 said:

Thanks, Bill. Tried this with memory error. Happened upon a post that indicated you must book with the shift key depressed in order to free up enough RAM for UFLASH to load. Works now.

J.

I used a 130XE to flash mine, so missed this issue.

46 minutes ago, flashjazzcat said:

Made a little video which will hopefully assist with firmware updates:

I'd also like to thank everyone who has provided feedback, and extend special thanks to those who have made donations. Thank you!

Great video, especially from a f'ing sarcastic arsehole.  Keep up your shitty content and even shittier software please.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Just flashed both updates to U1mb and Side2 yesterday. 

I have to say, this setup is just fantastic. It’s so much easier, faster and more powerful than similar systems on other classic PCs I use. 

Thanks for the years of work on this flashcatjazz, it shows. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1