IGNORED

Ultimate 1MB, Incognito, SIDE, 1088XEL/XLD U1MB Firmware 3.10 Released

flashjazzcat

Progress update. The new firmware is basically complete, although it's helpful that I'm privately deploying it on a number of machines I'm working on here, and cleaning up bugs along the way. The user manual and technical documentation updates are done, but one final hurdle is presented by the Incognito CLPD update (JED) which provides access to plugins (which have now grown from 1KB to 2KB in size on the U1MB; the same 2KB plugins are available on the Incognito once the new JED is applied). This JED was also intended to provide VBXE compatibility on Incognito 800s, although I have been unable to get the FX core to work on mine. I can live without it, though; plugin support is the most crucial part from my perspective, and there are a couple of other useful enhancements (the ability to recall the loader via JMP($0A), EXTSEL mode selection, etc). However, when I applied this CPLD update to the customer Incognito 800 currently on my desk (which works perfectly with the previous JED), the machine went completely haywire. Clearly there is a little more work to do on the CPLD update, but once those problems are resolved, I guess we can roll everything out.

PS: the Incognito firmware update works just fine with old and new JEDs alike, but it's hardly worth having the new features available to the new JED if said CPLD update is not yet sufficiently well tested to release.

Edited by flashjazzcat
  • Like 6

36 minutes ago, flashjazzcat said:

Progress update. The new firmware is basically complete, although it's helpful that I'm privately deploying it on a number of machines I'm working on here, and cleaning up bugs along the way. The user manual and technical documentation updates are done, but one final hurdle is presented by the Incognito CLPD update (JED) which provides access to plugins (which have now grown from 1KB to 2KB in size on the U1MB; the same 2KB plugins are available on the Incognito once the new JED is applied). This JED was also intended to provide VBXE compatibility on Incognito 800s, although I have been unable to get the FX core to work on mine. I can live without it, though; plugin support is the most crucial part from my perspective, and there are a couple of other useful enhancements (the ability to recall the loader via JMP($0A), EXTSEL mode selection, etc). However, when I applied this CPLD update to the customer Incognito 800 currently on my desk (which works perfectly with the previous JED), the machine went completely haywire. Clearly there is a little more work to do on the CPLD update, but once those problems are resolved, I guess we can roll everything out.

PS: the Incognito firmware update works just fine with old and new JEDs alike, but it's hardly worth having the new features available to the new JED if said CPLD update is not yet sufficiently well tested to release.

Any plans for low-level integration with Sophia, via plugins? (on-the-fly output resolution, palette uploads?) Just wondering...

As for the rest, there is quite a large set of cases and intricacies to be tested with Incognito, especially if a CPLD update is involved. Experience with it as a daily-driver, go-to-platform is needed (as well as some extra tools). I can help with any of these (via private channel if more productive or efficient).

If there is a roach in the kitchen, chances are (nowadays) I will find it.

Just now, Faicuai said:

Any plans for low-level integration with Sophia, via plugins?

Yes: explicitly so. The plugin already works on the U1MB (and I understand people are impatiently waiting for it), and it's trivial to complile it for the Incognito.

1 minute ago, Faicuai said:

As for the rest, there is quite a large set of cases and intricacies to be tested with Incognito, especially if a CPLD update is involved.

Correct, and I would say results are currently inconclusive. Many users have SCCC installed, and if the VBXE timing fix works inconsistently and causes regressions on machines where VBXE isn't even present, we have a bit of a problem.

It's not that often that I have two Incognito 800s in my hands (normally only one: mine), so this is a great opportunity to iron out the issues. I can't hang on to the customer machine indefinitely, though.

1 hour ago, flashjazzcat said:

Yes: explicitly so. The plugin already works on the U1MB (and I understand people are impatiently waiting for it), and it's trivial to complile it for the Incognito.

My two Incognito machines are very patiently waiting for these updates. Patience is a virtue. It's all calm and relaxed here.

Joking aside, I would be happy to test if needed. NTSC, have Sophia and PokeyMax installed. Just let me know!

Calm and relaxed, calm and relaxed...

53 minutes ago, Mrarkus said:

I would be happy to test if needed.

Thank you so much. That might not be a bad idea.

Unfortunately some shit-heads have been moved into the social housing on the corner and I am currently serenaded by two vicious, barking Rottweiler dogs permanetly roaming around the yard directly under my office window at random intervals. This, along with several other ongoing external dramas is making concentrating on anything extremely difficult. Not trying to make excuses for delays here... just venting. :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, flashjazzcat said:

Thank you so much. That might not be a bad idea.

Unfortunately some shit-heads have been moved into the social housing on the corner and I am currently serenaded by two vicious, barking Rottweiler dogs permanetly roaming around the yard directly under my office window at random intervals. This, along with several other ongoing external dramas is making concentrating on anything extremely difficult. Not trying to make excuses for delays here... just venting. :)

That sucks.  Why does it always seem that the bigger an asshole is, the bigger an asshole the dogs they own become?  I thought it was supposed to be "opposites attract" :)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bf2k+ said:

My U1MB is the old dark colored board.  What exactly do I have to do to get it to work with the new firmware?

It may already run it: check that the current firmware has the 'SIDE Hardware' option. If it does, you're good. If not, you may require an update to the later CPLD code before you can safely update.

I haven't heard from Candle in almost a week now despite sending numerous messages about the Incognito JED; hopefully all is OK with him. I'll have to return the second 800 I have here next week, so all opportunities for decent beta testing of the new JED here will be lost. Thanks to Gary the owner for being so patient, even if his time ends up being wasted.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/28/2021 at 12:27 PM, flashjazzcat said:

It may already run it: check that the current firmware has the 'SIDE Hardware' option. If it does, you're good. If not, you may require an update to the later CPLD code before you can safely update.

I started doing that this morning... that is, installing my U1MB that has been sitting here in the original box for many years into a nice stock 800xl.  Watched your video several times.  Got U5 and U3 removed and now am waiting for delivery of my new sockets.  Got to find that 4 pin connector that you use also.  I am willing to bet I have one around here but finding it is another matter.

4 minutes ago, bf2k+ said:

If it was, I lost it.  But that is hard to believe since I have not really been in that box but maybe once.  I'll find one...

Did you by chance park it under the foam pad again where Lotharek sticks it when he packs up the boxes for shipment?