Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
DavidD

SmileBasic4 for Nintendo Switch - BASIC Programming Returns...

Recommended Posts

SmileBasic 4 is out on the Nintendo Switch.  SmileBasic 4 is a BASIC interpreter with support for all sorts of thingies.  You can upload your software for other folks to try.

 

The program is $30 ($25 if you don't want upload rights/storage), but there is a free demo available on the JAPANESE eShop.  The demo restricts you to one download every 8 hours, and no upload permissions.

 

It strikes me that this is the sort of thing that might be popular among classic computing folks.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I downloaded and it is great, very powerful and super easy to use.  There is a Gaplus game someone Japan wrote that is awesome.  I just got my USB keyboard and mouse working today but only had got to use for about an hour.

 

I am trying to gather as much documentation in English as possible to make learning easy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I heard it was removed from Europe for a bit while they investigate some copyright claim, but they promise to bring it back soon.  I hope you can get it, it really is something nice.

 

I am very happy learning its new commands and how easy it is to make a game.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/2/2020 at 11:40 PM, imstarryeyed said:

I downloaded and it is great, very powerful and super easy to use.  There is a Gaplus game someone Japan wrote that is awesome.  I just got my USB keyboard and mouse working today but only had got to use for about an hour.

 

I am trying to gather as much documentation in English as possible to make learning easy.

I'm trying to find the easiest way to write stuff on my computer and transfer the file over...

Someone in Japan developed a PetitModem update that works using a fake keyboard cable and an Arduino-like device -- you run his software on the Switch in SmileBasic, and it can transfer files...

 

What I was curious about is that someone else has already made it possible to turn a Raspberry Pi into a Bluetooth controller for the Nintendo Switch.  It's still very rudimentary (it works, but it's hard for layman like me to do much with it), but it seems like it would be possible to use that connection as an interface -- using controller stick values to transfer data, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If anyone is interested, and wants to try hacking together a communication script for file transfer...

  • http://rei.to/petit4send.html  -- Petit4Send -- transfer files to SmileBasic 4 using and Arduino (SparkFun Pro Micro mentioned specifically, but)
  • https://github.com/mart1nro/joycontrol -- Joy Control. Linux-based emulation of a Switch Bluetooth controller.  I installed it on my Raspberry Pi 3b, and I can send commands to the Switch.
  • https://github.com/SkyoKen/RasCon_NS -- RasCon_NS -- this builds off/uses Joy Control. Running it on a RaspberryPi creates a webserver, where you can directly paste commands/scripts.

It feels like one could use a mix of these to send files via the controller protocol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just like you I am really wanting to work on a PC and transfer back and forth to the console.  Thanks for the links.  Just to help contribute I have the References page https://sup4.smilebasic.com/en/doku.php?id=reference:top#dokuwiki__content  converted to Word and PDF printable files.  I edited them this week and they should be printable from PDF or Word with enough margin to add a coil spiral type binding. I am a big fan of printed language manuals over electronic.

 

If anyone is interested in these let me know and I can try to find a place to load them to for everyone to use.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, imstarryeyed said:

Just like you I am really wanting to work on a PC and transfer back and forth to the console.  Thanks for the links.  Just to help contribute I have the References page https://sup4.smilebasic.com/en/doku.php?id=reference:top#dokuwiki__content  converted to Word and PDF printable files.  I edited them this week and they should be printable from PDF or Word with enough margin to add a coil spiral type binding. I am a big fan of printed language manuals over electronic.

 

If anyone is interested in these let me know and I can try to find a place to load them to for everyone to use.

 

The funny thing is that a few years back, I got PetitComputer on my 3DS and couldn't find any English language sources -- so I started a PetitComputer wiki up, just to track software.  THIS time around, there are folks already doing that, luckily.

I keep thinking that if I take a weekend, I might be able to cobble some sort of file transfer using the bluetooth controller functions (sending vibration patterns back to confirm, etc.), but I'm not sure I have the required level of skill. Cough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, DavidDayton said:

The funny thing is that a few years back, I got PetitComputer on my 3DS and couldn't find any English language sources -- so I started a PetitComputer wiki up, just to track software.  THIS time around, there are folks already doing that, luckily.

I keep thinking that if I take a weekend, I might be able to cobble some sort of file transfer using the bluetooth controller functions (sending vibration patterns back to confirm, etc.), but I'm not sure I have the required level of skill. Cough.

Yeah I have been using PetitComputer since the 3DS as well but yes due to lack of docs, I never got too far.  Fortunately SB4 is really powerful and seems to have a community of people who want to make it work.  I understand why Nintendo nixed the upload / download due to piracy and jail-breaking people, but I wish they would allow something  to accommodate those who want to use it correctly.

 

I would love to see a Bluetooth or other method to allow us to manipulate code. I come from the old school of printing out my code and using red pens and highlighters to make changes and notes.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/7/2020 at 11:37 PM, imstarryeyed said:

Just like you I am really wanting to work on a PC and transfer back and forth to the console.  Thanks for the links.  Just to help contribute I have the References page https://sup4.smilebasic.com/en/doku.php?id=reference:top#dokuwiki__content  converted to Word and PDF printable files.  I edited them this week and they should be printable from PDF or Word with enough margin to add a coil spiral type binding. I am a big fan of printed language manuals over electronic.

 

If anyone is interested in these let me know and I can try to find a place to load them to for everyone to use.

 

I’d be interested in a pdf copy of the reference guide, if the offer is still available!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...