IGNORED

Plants Vs Zombies

Kiwi

I played the Steam version of Plants Vs Zombies and was glued to the game from 10pm until 8am in the morning, completing the entire 5 worlds and several mini games and challenges. In my mind, I wanted to see if I could get it working on the Colecovision.  I'm crazy, I know. So, I decided to start working on the Colecovision version the next day.  I was going to release it on Easter, but I couldn't pull a all-nighter, especially when having to go to my sister's for Easter,thus breaking the lock down rules.  So I took some time and made some progress until now.  This was my break from working on another Colecovision game I was working on.  I'm releasing now for free, so other people can play this game while they are on lock down from that deadly virus.  It's related to Spring, so why not.

Screenshots:
PlantNZombie.png.e3eedc37878921e91c5e25cf4b255bb6.png

ROM of the game:PlantVsZombie.rom

No sounds or music.  Notes: There are 16 shots(peas, needles, lawnmower) maximum on screen, so you're limited to 30 shooting plants maximum.  The plants shoot alternately. However, I thought of unlikely scenario that they'll hit the max if the shooting plants are placed checkerboard faction, so if your 17th plant isn't firing his shot, that means you hit the maximum shots on screen no more shot object can be spawn.  There's 10 zombie maximum on screen.  If I raise the limit, it'll cause the game to slowdown to half speed. We don't want that.  There's 4 types of zombies. 6 levels to go through. 7 different plants with description.  I wanted to post a gif, but it won't post.   

Hope you enjoy. 

Edited by Kiwi
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, rietveld said:

Doesn't seem to play on the ADAM, but did work inCoolCV.  Game looks very good.  

I think you have to put it on the Ultimate SD cart and then boot the ADAM in Colecovision mode.  ADAM maps out the Colecovision BIOS chip I believe. 

1 hour ago, Kiwi said:

I think you have to put it on the Ultimate SD cart and then boot the ADAM in Colecovision mode.  ADAM maps out the Colecovision BIOS chip I believe. 

ok, i just put the ROM onto my ADE's SD card and tried to load it that way.   I dont have the ultimate sd cart.  

1 hour ago, rietveld said:

Has anyone got this ROM to run from the ADE on the Adam?   

Do any normal Colecovision ROM's run that way on the Adam? I wouldn't think the ADE would run any "Colecovision" roms as isn't it just replicating the functionality of the Adam tape drives?

4 hours ago, zaphro72 said:

Do any normal Colecovision ROM's run that way on the Adam? I wouldn't think the ADE would run any "Colecovision" roms as isn't it just replicating the functionality of the Adam tape drives?

the ADE runs .dsk,.bin, and .rom.   I have a hard drive but it only runs disk images, I bought the ADE (drive emulator) because it will launch every file format that the emulator does.  Thats why I wonder if the .ROM is just not compatible with the Adam.  I dont have a multi cart anymore to try it on my stand alone Colecovision

Just some stats:
Sunflower: 4HP

Peashooter: 4HP does 1 damage

Walnut: 21HP

Mine: 4HP takes 3-7 seconds to arm. Instant kill a zombie.  Good to use to gain suns in the early in the level.
Cherry: 91HP Kills 3 lanes of zombies in an area

Cactus:7HP hurts zombie on touch, and does 2 damages
Needie:9HP hurts zombie on touch, and does pierce 1-2 damages

On 4/25/2020 at 9:52 AM, Serguei2 said:

Thanks for sharing this game to us.

It was a great game.

Are you going to add sound later?

Yup and music too.

On 4/25/2020 at 1:23 PM, Bobby Nelson said:

If this were to come out on a cartridge I would be forced to hand over my money......all of my money. ?

Working on this.  Making additional contents to the cartridge version.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/3/2020 at 7:18 AM, artrag said:

You should consider to add sampled voice and sound effects from the original. You can find my matlab encoder on Tursi's website.

I may try this for my next project for speech.

Anyway, the game's done and I handed it in to Collectorvision. 
The cartridge version has 9 levels with 3 game modes, Daybreak, Nightmare, and Pick Your Seeds.  There are 18 different seeds.  7 different zombies.  It has 4 tracks of music, Title, Pick Your Seeds, Grasswalk, and Rigor Mormist.  Have a nicer title screen and different Zombie Ate your Brains animation to divert space towards music and gameplay.  It has many different sound effect. It's one action packed 32 KB title.  Also contains secrets.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Kiwi said:

I may try this for my next project for speech.

Anyway, the game's done and I handed it in to Collectorvision. 
The cartridge version has 9 levels with 3 game modes, Daybreak, Nightmare, and Pick Your Seeds.  There are 18 different seeds.  7 different zombies.  It has 4 tracks of music, Title, Pick Your Seeds, Grasswalk, and Rigor Mormist.  Have a nicer title screen and different Zombie Ate your Brains animation to divert space towards music and gameplay.  It has many different sound effect. It's one action packed 32 KB title.  Also contains secrets.

Do u know if the cart will work with the ADAM ?   I tried the ROM on my ADE's SD card and it won't boot up