IGNORED

1088xld problems

chevymad

On 5/14/2020 at 10:17 AM, mytek said:

The BC547 should be fine as a substitute (showed as a cross for the 2N3904 which is very similar to the PN2222 that I spec). This mystery is getting very perplexing, although good find on pulling U25 (74F138) to get things working, so we at least know the general area of the problem (the IDE section). Looking a bit closer, the only way that a shorted transistor or diode would be an issue is if they were both shorted or if the /$Cx_RD signal coming out of pin 10 on the 74F138 chip was permanently selected. this doesn't seem likely after you swapped in the HCT138 which was known to work in it's other location.

was the original defective? I don't know... Your DMM might have a test function... I was hoping you had the exact parts and could swap a known good one in there.  I've already received defects from china before... so it's just a suggestion...

q2 for q6 and if the problem resolved great, if it moved/changed you'd know that as well

Edited by _The Doctor__

For Q6 the current,Voltage and Hfe specs arn't that stressed as it's used as a logic switch so hard on or off as 5V and very Low current.

That of course is only for this specific use as Q6.

And of course not to have failed (usually short circuit I've found)

Edited by Simply_Graham

55 minutes ago, chevymad said:

While in the ordering mood, I ordered the Dreamblaster module and a U1mb from TBA. The U1mb is to replace the one I stole out of my 800xl for the xld. I'll leave the original black Candle board in the xld. 

Dreamblaster is a fun little device, killer sound.

• Like 1

Experimenting with Midi was one of the main reasons for building an xld. The CF card will be fun to experiment with too, but my nuxx has always done almost everything i've wanted. The new Sophia now has me rethinking video. I'll probably stick to plan though and move the vbxe to the xld and use the internal gbs mods.. allready have them. But maybe the XEL will get a sophia 2.. then it'll be a big debate over which one to use!

I'm hopeful one of the ic's I ordered will fix my problems. It's hard to believe it's anything board or solder related since both builds had the same issue.

Parts came in the mail today.. Success!! 

It was NOT any of the IC's. 

It was NOT Q2-Q5.

It WAS in fact Q6 as the Doctor suspected. Evidently the original Pn2222a was trash to begin with. Then the 2n3904 I tried first didn't work, nor the 3 different brand new bc547's. But a brand new PN2222a installed today and everythings groovy. :)  That has to be the world's most expensive transistor!! Lol But hey, I got me a new oscilloscope out of the deal.  If I hadn't delaminated part of the old board around the PIA i'd build that one too. If anyone should need a pair of IO boards I have a pair of black boards unused.

Thank you everyone for putting up with me. It was at times extremely frustrating, but with my shop packed away in storage and covid, I'm not sure what else I'd be doing anyway. Now to build my GBS adapter board and move my vbxe from the xel into this machine. Looks like the xel might get a sophia 2. 

Only 1 of my 2 CF cards apparently works, but hey, it does work and the light turns green now!

One last thing, i've got the dreamblaster board installed now. Is the machine supposed to play the "have you played atari today" tune? It doesn't, i'm not sure if it's supposed to, and totally unsure of settings in either case. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Congrats to @chevymad on getting your machine working but it's worth pointing out that Michael suggested this a couple weeks ago. Probably not that surprising since he designed this thing! :) 

On 5/13/2020 at 3:23 PM, mytek said:

Check D14 and Q6. Because if U25 wasn't bad, then likely something is wrong with those components, or one of them is in backwards. They connect to data lines D6 an D7 and are used to convey both an IDE device signature, and the swap latch state. Specifically I suspect Q6 to be the problem if it's not the 74F138.

Anyway, congrats again! Now have a beer and enjoy your success. 

• Like 1

You'll notice that it was after that post, that I tried the other transistors I had on hand. And Michael felt that they should have worked. There is however, enough different between them to cause problems evidently because both 2n3904 and bc547's have the same issue as the "bad" pn2222a I started with. 

"

On 5/14/2020 at 10:17 AM, mytek said:

The BC547 should be fine as a substitute (showed as a cross for the 2N3904 which is very similar to the PN2222 that I spec). 

That's just to say, his suggestion wasn't ignored. I had some transistors on hand we thought would work. They do not. 

Edited by chevymad

It's great that another XLD is up and working.

The S2 requires that the MIDI MCU be programmed and that the two jumpers on J3

pins 3 to 4 & 6 to 7 be shorted with a jumper block, assuming you don't use the external MIDI connectors, I was playing so may only need 6 to 7 to enable.

Works completly independantly of the Main Atari computer.

5 hours ago, Simply_Graham said:

The S2 requires that the MIDI MCU be programmed and that the two jumpers on J3

pins 3 to 4 & 6 to 7 be shorted with a jumper block, assuming you don't use the external MIDI connectors, I was playing so may only need 6 to 7 to enable.

J3 is only 6 pins. Per the schematics and the board silkscreening, pins 3-4 need to be shorted if you don’t have DIN connectors installed. If you intend on completing the spec I/O boards with DIN connector and MIDI source clock selector switch, no jumper is required.

EDIT: Correction; the Beta version of J3 had 6 pins; the final production design has a 7-pin header here.

Edited by DrVenkman
Corrected Misstatement

4 hours ago, Simply_Graham said:

That's very strange as both the Silk screen and Schematic on the versions I have released 27-4-2020 Show it as being 7 pins.

To Enable MIDI short pins 6&7 as previously stated

As Dr Venkman mentions 3&4 to be shorted if you dont have the additional board connected with the MIDI connectors.

It may not me perfect English but please check this quote above

MIDIpng.png

Edited by Simply_Graham
Added Screengrab

Ya, it's 7 pins now. I'd noticed the change earlier from the first version boards. Been poring over pics of everyone's XLD's for awhile now LOL. Also ran into a change on the gbs2vga board and bom last night. The BOM i'd used to order parts and the board I just got from Dropcheck didn't agree. Inductors swapped positions and a couple more resistors added. As these things get refined stuff is changing. 

So since I have the Midi IO board connected, I don't need any jumpers? And it IS supposed to play the tune correct?

1 hour ago, Simply_Graham said:

That's very strange as both the Silk screen and Schematic on the versions I have released 27-4-2020 Show it as being 7 pins.

Apologies, you are correct. That was changed from the Beta board and schematic that we built before the design was released publicly. The earlier version of the schematic (and the boards themselves) have only 6-pins at J3.

33 minutes ago, chevymad said:

So since I have the Midi IO board connected, I don't need any jumpers? And it IS supposed to play the tune correct?

If you have the I/O board built and connected, and if you have the MIDI Source switch set to Internal and your MIDI PIC chip programmed, you'll get a jingle as the system powers on. For the production design, you should jumper pins 6-7 to enable MIDI, per the final schematic note and as @Simply_Graham states above.

• Like 1