IGNORED

1088xld problems

chevymad

I've just found something, If you leave off the jumper on 6&7 the initial jingle still plays, but if you use programs (maybe not all programs something for me to check) to play MIDI files these use the Motor Control line on the SIO to enable the MIDI interface that's mimic'd within the XLD.

Assuming like me you downloaded some MIDI files to play, 6&7 do need to be connected for the player to control.

DrVenkman, sorry I was unaware of the initial built designs, of which I know you were apart off, I was entirely going off the build I've completed which of course was updated towards the end of 2019, and the PCB overlays added last month.

I'll be having a beer to celebrate Chevymad's success , Cheers

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, chevymad said:

So 6-7 is required with the IO board? That's how I thought it went. Haven't heard a jingle yet, but have been working on other things. Thanks DrVenkman.

Pretty clearly labeled on silk screen.

MIDI_HDR_XLD.png.676d1146a71baa7ca3d386a78d4bea66.png

J3 6-7 jumper required to enable MIDI from the cassette motor line (always needed unless you wish to disable MIDI).

J3 3-4 jumper required to hear the S2 Synth play if you don't have the Level2 MIDI DIN board plugged in.

Congrats on getting your XLD working ? .

• Like 2

No jumpers required for initial Jingle with Internal Syth selected on Level 2 Board.

6&7 shorted Needed for for MIDI under program control, unless of course I've a problem with my XLD.

Now off to compare an LS9 with a mapped  AUDI 4.0 Twin Turbo V8

Edited by Simply_Graham
update

2 hours ago, Simply_Graham said:

No jumpers required for initial Jingle with Internal Syth selected on Level 2 Board.

6&7 shorted Needed for for MIDI under program control, unless of course I've a problem with my XLD.

I believe that's what I said in my previous post, just worded it in a slightly different way. But thanks for clearing that up :) .

For reference....

XLD_MIDI_schema.thumb.png.3f0d64bc46a76afdd07cc80e37386005.png

Comedy of errors. XLD is still working. I haven't killed it yet. Might not be able to say the same of my VBXE. Anyone installing a VBXE, if you have used a machine pin socket under U8, be very careful. The pins on the bottom side of the antic adapter can touch and short the pins on U8. Now my VGA output won't sync and with vbxe plugged in I get a noisey black and white screen over composite. Unplug vbxe board and return the jumper, color comes back. I haven't tried putting the vbxe back in the XEL yet. Sound like clock signal? Several other things I've yet to try as well. Not worried yet. :P

Jingle plays. All I did was remove the jumper when I thought it wasn't needed, then put it back again. No idea why that did anything. Also have both CF cards working, but only one slot. I've got to look up the instructions. This is my first CF card reader, so i'm sure i'm doing something wrong. 

Think i'm going to love this thing! 

Ok. It's all working. 

Can anyone show me which jumper position on vbxe is pal vs ntsc? I'm not finding it on the documentation for some reason. I took this vbxe directly from my xel, working. Put it on my xld and it didn't work til I switched the jumper. Wondering if I could have wrecked the NTSC crystal when it shorted? I played a game of pacman and it worked pretty decent.

Looking at the labeling on the top side. I think the jumper goes on in the inner position for NTSC. Correct? Which means I had it wrong before. 

Edited by chevymad
  • Like 1

When looking at the VBXE, so you can read the writing correctly (two crystals bottom left) you'll see the legend next to the crystals for JP1, the link is on the bottom of VBXE board. when turned over PAL two nearest board edge,

The only jumper I'm aware off, you do need to remove the jumper on the motherboard to disable the onboard crystal, and jumper from VBXE to supply it's system clock to the computer instead.

I'm guessing you have already done this. U1MB BIOS sets VBXE Addressing, can't check at moment as have sophia DVI installed.

Yep that odd' I've heard mention of the crystals being the wrong way on the VBXE board, not sure how true or not that is, but not that for NTSC swapping jumpers between machines, that makes no sence, unless for some reason your using a PAL clock on NTSC Antic & Gita and still getting a color picture? maybe the TV/Monitor has adjusted but maybe worth checking back in XEL, possible crystal failure as you suspected.

So I'm happy to report, oddities or no, that the XLD seems to be functioning just fine. Been playing with the midi player and synth quite a bit. Learning how to use the CF drive and SDX. I'm still awaiting a few taller headers and some parts to shorten the cables to the GBS board, then I can close her up. I'm leaving my original Candle U1MB in the XLD and tonight I installed a new Lotharek board into the 800xl I robbed. So 4 out of 5 of my Atari machines are functioning at the moment. The fifth would work too, but it's chips are in the XEL. 

Thanks again everyone for the help. And Thanks to Mytek for creating this thing. When setting up the new U1MB in the 800xl I had to laugh at how there are almost no options lit up in the bios. The XLD has almost everything! 

Brandon

• Like 2

When setting up the new U1MB in the 800xl I had to laugh at how there are almost no options lit up in the bios.

I'm thinking you meant to say no options were 'grayed' out.

The XLD has almost everything!

Yeah it's pretty darn complete :) .

18 minutes ago, chevymad said:

And Thanks to Mytek for creating this thing.

You are welcome. But it really started out as a project I created for myself, and then I gave in to peer pressure and released it. So not having an external cartridge port, and putting the MIDI DIN connectors on the front wasn't all that popular with some (when you have a parallel accessed CF drive, who really needs the cart). Of course Dropcheck later came along with her own twist on the design that rectifies the cartridge situation, as well as shoved the MIDI stuff to the rear, so that should satisfy everyone ? .

• Like 3

I was talking about how the 800xl had no options LOL But you got the right idea. There's a couple reasons for carts yet, but I do have 3 other machines that will use one. So no biggie. The XLD being so self contained will certainly clean up my retro computer desk. Maybe after installing the new Sophia the XEL might make it to one of the big screen tv's in the house. 

59 minutes ago, chevymad said:

I was talking about how the 800xl had no options LOL But you got the right idea.

Funny how the brain works. I saw 1088XLD where you wrote 800XL ? .

59 minutes ago, chevymad said:

There's a couple reasons for carts yet, but I do have 3 other machines that will use one. So no biggie.

Oh definitely I agree that  there are still very valid reasons that a cart would still be useful in spite of having a fast CF drive. But for this project, and specifically for what I needed this to be, it got relegated to the back of the bus so to speak. Could have been worse, as in no edge card socket implemented what-so-ever ;) .

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

So I've removed the VBXE and installed the new Sophia2.. AWESOME! Not without trials though. I thought I screwed up both my xld and new sophia. Unplugged the VBXE and without thinking plugged the sophia in... ya, wrong chip!! Then when I got it right it still didn't work. :( Tried Sophia in my 800xl and it worked fine. Swapped chips around XLD still didn't work. Gave up for awhile thinking I burned out the ram or something.  Well, then I had the epiphany... um I need to plug the clock connector back in for "no vbxe" Yup, that's all it took. 

Now I'm debating selling the VBXE and getting 1 or 2 more sophia. I really didn't use the vbxe except as a video adapter, and even then it still needed a scan doubler and colors were wrong. Anyway, gotta think about it.

Trying to teach myself kicad so I can have an adapter board built to fit the XLD. Not liking the adapters hanging out the back right now. 

• 6 months later...

hi,

I finally got my 1088XLD all assembled and everything seems to work fine except the CF cards. on powerup the power light starts yellow then red a short time then turns green and stays green unless I enter the loader, then it goes red and stays red and loader says no media. the front light stays red from then on no matter what I do, even reset. power off then back on and sequence will repeat. enter fdisk and it always tells me no apt devices found. ok, this is the symptoms, anything anyone can tell me will be helpful. any other info needed just tell me. thanks.

Ken

20 hours ago, kenames99 said:

I finally got my 1088XLD all assembled and everything seems to work fine except the CF cards. on powerup the power light starts yellow then red a short time then turns green and stays green unless I enter the loader, then it goes red and stays red and loader says no media. the front light stays red from then on no matter what I do, even reset. power off then back on and sequence will repeat. enter fdisk and it always tells me no apt devices found. ok, this is the symptoms, anything anyone can tell me will be helpful. any other info needed just tell me. thanks.

I was waiting for someone that had experienced something like this to offer up some advice on this particular problem, but apparently you are the first.

I would check all your soldering if you haven't already. And then I'd take a good close look at the IDE/CF adapter's soldering, because in the past there have been reports of some of these missing a soldered pin or two on the CF socket. Also crosscheck connections between chips in the IDE section of the XLD against the schematic, doing continuity checks to see if a trace is either broken or there is a short between pins. Finally if you have extra 74HCTxx duplicate chips used in that section, try swapping. Other than that, there's not much advice I can give you, since the board design is known to work.

While your problem sounds familiar, i've got some memory issues and have completely forgotten most everything in this thread. :( It's as Mytek says though, it will work when you finally discover the problem. Sorry to not be more help. I recently finally installed a cf adapter in my xel. It didn't work at first, but ended up being my cable not making connection. Tried several times, then swapped ends and it works. Weird things happen. Good luck!

• 1 month later...

hi mytek,

I got to it again, had to let the grumble die down a bit. put the hammer away then sat down with the 1088xld. took out the topram brand cf card (which works in every cf device I have) and replaced it with an old canon brand cf card and everything started working fine! so I dug thru my flash card stash and found a 4gig Kingston cf and tested with that one also. it works just fine as well. end result is I am happy now and wife does not hear me cussing every time I walk by the 1088xld.

so, thank you for your help and chevymad also. moral of story is - make sure to use a known good quality CF card! :)

Ken

• Like 3