IGNORED

1088xld problems

chevymad

1 hour ago, kenames99 said:

hi mytek,

I got to it again, had to let the grumble die down a bit. put the hammer away then sat down with the 1088xld. took out the topram brand cf card (which works in every cf device I have) and replaced it with an old canon brand cf card and everything started working fine! so I dug thru my flash card stash and found a 4gig Kingston cf and tested with that one also. it works just fine as well. end result is I am happy now and wife does not hear me cussing every time I walk by the 1088xld.

so, thank you for your help and chevymad also. moral of story is - make sure to use a known good quality CF card! :)

Ken

Yeah sorry about that, but happy that you got it sorted out. It seems like every CF or SD related Atari device has its preferences for cards. I was playing around with a new IDE circuit that I installed into my 600XL, which I was hoping would open things up, but it prefers Chinese clones of the 1GB SanDisk only. Won't even work with a real SanDisk card, go figure.

Anyway glad that your cussing has ceased :lolblue:

1 hour ago, Stephen said:

I ordered a few CF cards yesterday - man they sure are expensive these days!  I'll post the brands and results when they get here.

hi Stephen,

that would be great. I need to order some but am scared to pull the trigger. your results will help. I have successfully used Topram 2gig and 4gig cf cards in side2, IDEPlus 2.0d, and blackbox scsi2ide to cf adapter. *heavy sigh*

Ken

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to bump this thread, but I didn't want to start a new one.

While perusing my latest ABBUC 145 disk, I noticed it has a newer version of SysInfo on it.  When running the GTIA tests, the "top test" for P0-M3 collision fails (does not register).  I've not noticed any other symptoms on this machine, it's been my daily driver since I finished the build.  It is configured as PAL and has a VBXE.  Any ideas what to test (besides the obvious swap a different GTIA)?

16 hours ago, Roydea6 said:

@Stephen

Also try one of the older version os SI2.xxx and see if it still fail with the older one.

Tried 2 older versions and same with both.  I guess I'll have to write some test code.  This is not my only PAL machine, but it is my only machine with a VBXE in it.  Wonder if it could possibly be a VBXE issue?

15 hours ago, Kyle22 said:

What is the best way to put an XLD / CF interface in a U1M 1200XL? I do NOT want to use an SIDE type thing that would occupy the cart port. I need the cart port open.

Is there a ready made kit for this?

I think there was talk at one point of a standalone CF3 type module for non 1088 machines, but I honestly do not know if the idea was abandoned due to technical issues or if it was only just talk.  @mytek would be the one to ask about this.

31 minutes ago, Stephen said:

I think there was talk at one point of a standalone CF3 type module for non 1088 machines, but I honestly do not know if the idea was abandoned due to technical issues or if it was only just talk.  @mytek would be the one to ask about this.

I did do prototype a board called the XL-CF4 which I put into my 'Monster 600XL', a title that i gave it due to all the upgrades inside. It picked up all but one signal from the Antic piggyback, and even provided the extra signals that a U1MB requires.

Monster_600XL.thumb.jpg.c04f370527244962be4907597f557297.jpg

https://ataribits.weebly.com/blog/category/monster-600xl

Although it did work, it only seems to like a small amount of Chinese Clone SD Cards I had purchased a few years back, and nothing else. Kinda funny actually, since it is normally the clones that are the problem, and not the solution. Once again it all comes down to timing, and because the stock 600XL uses a different glue logic vs. the 1088XEL, it was enough to cause issues with many of the normal CF Cards not working. Luckily I have 4 clone cards that work great in it, so I'm set :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
7 minutes ago, chevymad said:

Thinking I'm going to have to open up my XLD and reprogram the TKII chip. Seems my Option key is sometimes non responsive. Tried another keyboard allready and same thing. Not so handy using fujinet this way.

Also you might want to check if this either a connection problem or a bad GTIA chip. So to rule out a connection issue, reflow the soldering on: GTIA pin-14 and TK-II PIC pin-12 for starters. Could also be a cracked trace between those two points - maybe try temporarily adding a jumper wire.

• Like 2