IGNORED

recommend me some sega saturn games

I just bought a Psuedo Saturn cartridge and I'm really excited to play some games!

I already own:

Daytona USA

Tetris Plus

Wipeout (yes this was also released on Saturn and PC even)

Robotica

Sonic 3D Blast

Sega Rally (some championship edition or something)

Virtua Fighter 2

And I've already downloaded archives of these games to burn:

Battle Garegga

Batsugun

Saturn Bomberman

Sega Ages - Outrun

Salamander Deluxe Pack Plus

Radiant Silvergun

Darius II

Darius Gaiden

Sexy Parodius

Thunder Force V

(mostly shmups and Bomberman, heh kind of like the entirety of my PC Engine collection)

My favorite genre is shoot em ups so that's what I'm primarily looking for. I also like racing games and other types of shooters (not looking for FPS games unless it was a console exclusive). I'm like not into JRPGs (the turn-based kind) really, but I do like action RPGs.

Note that I do like light gun games as well but I lack a light gun for this system.

Edited by DragonGrafx-16

Just looking at my own collection and not mentioned yet:

Wipeout 2097 (yeah, not an exclusive either, but it also ended up on saturn) 

Daytona USA has two versions, so could get the 2nd one (think it's called championship edition or something)

Manx TT superbike (nice sega arcade feel game)

I'm also partial to road rash, but again it's multi console

Virtua Racing if you haven't already played it on mega drive or 32X, saturn is the superior version of all 3 with the most features. 

Sonic Jam is interesting as it has easy and hard versions of the game, it's not true ports of the originals and has a few changes. 

Exhumed is one of the few shooters with an Egyptian theme. I think it comes under a different name in other regions and was also on ps1. 

Action rpgs include :

Story of thor 2: despite people claiming its just like the mega drive one its its own game in its own right. Its pretty cool and has interesting mechanics. 

Guardian heroes:  another great game

Shining wisdom: poor man's zelda, a lot of us is convinced this was originally intended for the 32x or even megacd, and then ported over to saturn. A curiosity but not the most recommended. It casually follows the shining force storyline with some cameos. 

Galactic Attack is a fun shooter, though it's typically recommended for novices so it may not be for you.

Die Hard Trilogy performs much better on the PlayStation, but it's still worth checking out on the Saturn. It has three different game types in one, including a light gun compatible one. There's a really cool little series of videos on YouTube of the making of this that I typically rewatch yearly.

Loaded is a fun top down run and gun that's really worth checking out. It's a product of the 90's in the best way. It has some slowdown, but it's not unbearable and zooming in on your character helps. This is a blast to play co-op with a friend too.

The console port of Duke Nukem 3D runs on a different engine, true 3D environment, than its PC release and has Saturn exclusive levels. Plus it's one of the games you can use the 3D controller with, which works about as well as the Turok games on N64. There are videos on YouTube of people playing co-op over the internet with a Netlink adapter and some other hardware.

Resident Evil is a good port with exclusive editions like a battle mode that's not even in the Director's Cut on PlayStation.

Deep Fear is a survival horror exclusive released only in Japan and PAL regions that looks very impressive and has a unique air mechanic since it takes place at an underwater base.

Policenauts received a fan translation into English as well as a couple others that may be worth checking out.

There's quite a few more I could recommend. Sega Lord X has a great channel on YouTube that has a ton of very informative Saturn videos that cover things like exclusives, imports, and what a first time owner should have in their collection.

After Burner II and Space Harrier both have arcade-perfect ports on the Saturn. Apparently the Japanese Saturn version of OutRun is BETTER than arcade-perfect since it runs at double the frame rate of the arcade version! Also get both of the Thunder Force Gold Packs! Get Sonic Jam I guess, if you want. Earthworm Jim 2 is also a good choice. Virtua Racing is also a fun game on any system. Stellar Assault from the 32X has a sequel on Saturn called Stellar Assault SS. Another 32X sequel on the Saturn is Super Tempo. Dracula X is on the Saturn, but it has some issues. Still worth checking out since it has some differences from the PS1 version like being able to play as Maria, who is completely different from the way she is on the PSP/PS4 version. You should also probably watch this:

Don't forget to keep watching until after the credits!

Edited by Steven Pendleton

9 hours ago, Magmavision2000 said:

If you liked Virtua Fighter 2, I'd say check out Fighting Vipers. It's like Virtua Fighter, but there's an armor mechanic. If you do get it, get the Japanese version, it has more characters.

I'm not really into fighting games (except for King of the Monsters 2 on Genesis), I bought Virtua Fighter 2 cause it was at Goodwill for like $2.

10 hours ago, Mikebloke said:

Just looking at my own collection and not mentioned yet:

Wipeout 2097 (yeah, not an exclusive either, but it also ended up on saturn) 

Daytona USA has two versions, so could get the 2nd one (think it's called championship edition or something)

Manx TT superbike (nice sega arcade feel game)

I'm also partial to road rash, but again it's multi console

Virtua Racing if you haven't already played it on mega drive or 32X, saturn is the superior version of all 3 with the most features. 

Sonic Jam is interesting as it has easy and hard versions of the game, it's not true ports of the originals and has a few changes. 

Exhumed is one of the few shooters with an Egyptian theme. I think it comes under a different name in other regions and was also on ps1. 

Action rpgs include :

Story of thor 2: despite people claiming its just like the mega drive one its its own game in its own right. Its pretty cool and has interesting mechanics. 

Guardian heroes:  another great game

Shining wisdom: poor man's zelda, a lot of us is convinced this was originally intended for the 32x or even megacd, and then ported over to saturn. A curiosity but not the most recommended. It casually follows the shining force storyline with some cameos. 

I have Wipeout XL (that's what it's called in the US cause they thought Americans were too stupid and thought they'd wonder what happened to the other 2095 games) on PS1. Also I already have every Wipeout game except 2048 on Vita and the PS4 compilation. 

Sega Rally Championship is my favorite racer.  Also Daytona CCE or better yet the Japanese version Daytona CE.  Manx TT is marred by rubber band opponents and only 2 tracks, but is looks and controls great especially with the 3D pad. 

Virtua Racing does not have the same fast coin op accurate feel that the 32X version has but I still enjoy it.  A lot of tracks and different cars to drive. Its worth playing career mode and getting to the end once. EDIT - I just replayed it. I can't recommend it unless you view it as a cart racer. Sluggish visuals and control. 

Fighters Megamix has nearly unending content and is well programmed. It's a mix of VF and Fighting Vipers but also with VF3 moves and loads of bonus characters. 

I've been playing Shinobi Legions and it's a lot of fun. Burning Rangers and Nights are both very unique games by Sonic Team. 

• Thanks 1

Die Hard Arcade (or Dynamite Dekka) could have been Streets of Rage 4 with some tweaks. It's pretty fun. 

There are fan translations for Shining Force III scenarios 2 and 3, and making a patched image is easy. And then Policenauts as mentioned earlier. 

Fighters Megamix is super fun. Same for Fighting Vipers, if you like a different take on an AM2 fighter. 

NiGHTS Into Dreams is really weird at first blush but then you start to figure out courses and how to speed through them and the time attack aspect gets really wild. And then the bosses are so off the wall. It really does need to be experienced. 

Virtua Racing on the Saturn is a last resort for me. I'd rather play the 32X conversion, Switch release, or even the Genesis cart. It feels sluggish after playing any other version of the game.  I do agree with Cafeman on Shinobi Legions, which is almost Mortal Kombat in its graphics approach to live-action characters. 

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, derFunkenstein said:

Oh, and since I know you'll have a 4MB RAM cart option, you should grab Street Fighter Zero 3 and Marvel Super Heroes vs Street Fighter if you don't have another way to play those games. Some NeoGeo ports like Samurai Spirits 2 and 3 can use it too. 

One thing I'm a bit confused about are the Saturn ISOs that say things like "Game Title (3M)" at first I thought that meant how much RAM it needed but then that would be kind of silly since some games seem to be higher than 4... and then I checked a list of games that use the RAM and none of the games I downloaded use it. Weird. 

Anyway I said that I'm not that into 1v1 fighting games but I do like beat em ups... I do love me some monster fighting games though.

Several of my favorite games (Die Hard Arcade, SEGA Rally Championship, Shinobi X/Legions, Shining Force III, Panzer Dragon Zwei...) have already been mentioned, but I would add:

• Virtual On
  • Steep Slope Sliders
  • Elevator Action Returns (wasn't be able to find it at the time, awesome Rolling Thunder-like game)
  • Athlete Kings

3 hours ago, IntelliMission said:

Wow, that many Saturn vids already. I have subscribed to that channel for a while now and greatly enjoy his content.  All Sega and Saturn fans need to to subscribe and watch his stuff!   I bet I already watched most of those Saturn vids, but I will check them out again soon, too. When I get notified about a new SLX video , I can't wait to watch it.  I also enjoy how each video ends with music from Genesis Batman: The Movie game - it just seems to fit so well. 

I've been playing a lot of Saturn this month. It started because of a desire to play Panzer Dragoon / Zwei , since I can't play the new remake. Then I got into various other games in my collection like SRC and Shinobi Legions.