IGNORED

Raycaster

Asmusr

I just noticed that I never played FPS using a joystick but rather the keyboard; the usual WASD. Maybe this could be an option, or can I use the keyboard already and I just failed to find out? I'd also need two keys for the right hand for turning, e.g.  W=forward, S=backward, A=walk left, D=walk right, J=turn left, K=turn right

(and maybe this could eventually run on the Geneve, and we could use the 9938 mouse ... :D )

Man, this project could even impress the Duke!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, mizapf said:

I just noticed that I never played FPS using a joystick but rather the keyboard; the usual WASD. Maybe this could be an option, or can I use the keyboard already and I just failed to find out? I'd also need two keys for the right hand for turning, e.g.  W=forward, S=backward, A=walk left, D=walk right, J=turn left, K=turn right

(and maybe this could eventually run on the Geneve, and we could use the 9938 mouse ... :D )

It seems to me a set of TI joysticks could easily be cannibalized for the cable and wired up as Joystick 1, but utilizing BOTH fire buttons.  Of course there would need to be supporting software.

Using the TIPI mouse would be kind of neat too!  Many people already have TIPI's so there would be an ready user base for that already.

Or a combination with ESDX on the keyboard for keyboard users with a period for fire and maybe the right button on the mouse for good measure.

Whatever, we have lots of options.

6 hours ago, Omega-TI said:

Has anyone else had an invisible person shooting at you until all your health is gone?

It is actually possible in some cases for the guards for shoot you through the walls, because there's no easy way to know if they can see you if you can't see them. But the thing you have noticed is a bug that I have fixed in the attached version.

raycaster.dsk raycaster.rpk raycaster8.bin

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, mizapf said:

I'm not sure what it requires to run something on the Geneve. Is it mainly about not accessing the keyboard directly?

8 hours ago, jrhodes said:

I say go whole hog.

Add support for f18a and SAMS.

Time to teach those puny atari's a lesson they'll never forget. ;-)

For me the cool thing about this project is that it doesn't require F18A or SAMS. When the F18A MK2 is released, and if we have access to the expanded VDP RAM, and in particular if we could get a new bitmap mode with more colors, I would like to make a new raycaster for the F18A.

• Like 7

well, 

i am playing with this game and i must say that think to be able play it, using only a simply  TI99+32K is really incredible, it is another limit exceeded, another level reached!

Well, congratulations and thanks for all your effort needed to gift this to all us.

I only have a pair of questions on my curiosity and hopes for new features:

- can I hope to see the soldier without that colorclash? i always hated them on spectrum ?

- could be hard to include a possibility to press a key, like "M" and see the Map with the own position?

- also i'd love to have items to find and pickup around the labirinth for increase energy or bullets and not only points like now please?... ah no, bullets are infinite, sorry ?

about the gameplay, I also have the same problem mentioned about about the fact that apparently invisible soldier shoot me but i can't see anyone around me, but it happens also in the latest version... it seems a bit less compared to the previous one anyway.

I also noteiced that when i finished all my energy and the game started again, all the doors i had opened in the previous gameplay,  are remained still opened.

Edited by ti99iuc
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, ti99iuc said:

- also i'd love to have items to find and pickup around the labirinth for increase energy or bullets and not only points like now please?

My bet is that it's coming.  Rasmus has a history of incrementally releasing new things over multiple revisions until he's finally happy with a program.

One thing I'd like to see in an upcoming version is a high score table.  I got a pretty decent score and wanted to share it, but by the time I picked up my camera, the game had automatically restarted and the score was already reset.

1 hour ago, ti99iuc said:

- can I hope to see the soldier without that colorclash? i always hated them on spectrum ?

The soldier is already using 95 of the 256 characters. It would never fit with all the different combinations of background. The alternative would be to draw it using single-color magnified sprites, but again we would soon run out of patterns.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Asmusr said:

I'm not sure what it requires to run something on the Geneve. Is it mainly about not accessing the keyboard directly?

Mainly, yes. Also, it depends on whether you use banking. Most of all, I thought about using the Geneve mouse - this would also work for the 9938-based 80-col cards (like EVPC).

BTW, some time ago I put some lines on Ninerpedia about the Geneve keyboard: https://www.ninerpedia.org/wiki/Geneve_keyboard_control

3 hours ago, ti99iuc said:

I also have the same problem mentioned about about the fact that apparently invisible soldier shoot me but i can't see anyone around me, but it happens also in the latest version... it seems a bit less compared to the previous one anyway.

Once a soldier is 'activated' and close enough, it will shoot at you no matter if there is a wall in its way. To fix this I would have to cast a ray from the soldier towards you, which would be fine if speed wasn't a major concern. So I think I will leave it as it is.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ti99iuc said:

I also noteiced that when i finished all my energy and the game started again, all the doors i had opened in the previous gameplay,  are remained still opened.

Hmm, obviously I didn't try to play several rounds myself. I guess I should fix that, even though it's only a demo. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Omega-TI said:

I've seen demos morph into full-fledged games...

What I mean is that changing something in a program that will change completely later might not be worthwhile. But here you are, a new version where the doors are re-spawning and you need to press fire before you restart.

Edit: Oh yeah, there is also a chest hidden behind a secret door. You will never find it...

Edited by Asmusr
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Asmusr said:

You will never find it...

Saying that to the guys here is like a challenge!  I remember back in the day one software company bragged that their disk protection method was "impossible to crack", which did not sit well with one 13 year old kid, who took it as a challenge, and then a week later broke it and gave all his friends copies of the game.

4 minutes ago, mizapf said:

The only chance of writing compatible software in terms of keyboard access is to use BL @>000E in TI mode (or the respective XOP in native mode). On CRU base (low level), the systems are too far apart.

I don't understand, but you're welcome to make a fork of my code for the Geneve.

8 minutes ago, Omega-TI said:

Saying that to the guys here is like a challenge!  I remember back in the day one software company bragged that their disk protection method was "impossible to crack", which did not sit well with one 13 year old kid, who took it as a challenge, and then a week later broke it and gave all his friends copies of the game.

For those who know git and Magellan it''s easy enough.

1 hour ago, Asmusr said:

I don't understand, but you're welcome to make a fork of my code for the Geneve.

In other words: As long as you use the high-level keyboard routines (BLWP @KSCAN or BL @>000E), there is no difference between the Geneve (in TI mode) and the TI-99/4A; otherwise, most software from the TI-99/4A could not be used. For the native mode (aka MDOS mode), everything is different, of course.

Only when the TI-99/4A keyboard matrix is directly read via CRU, this will not run on the Geneve. In that case it would be necessary to have something like a keyboard adapter driver. 

• Like 1

On 6/13/2020 at 2:03 PM, ti99iuc said:

- could be hard to include a possibility to press a key, like "M" and see the Map with the own position?

I have added a map. Press M to see it, press Up to close it.

I'm not sure it will stay as easy as that that. Maybe you will have to find the map first? Maybe it should only show areas you have visited?

Edited by Asmusr
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1