IGNORED

Raycaster

Asmusr

Wow! it is an update i didn't expected! :) thanks Rasmus 

50 minutes ago, Asmusr said:

I'm not sure it will stay as easy as that that. Maybe you will have to find the map first? Maybe it should only show areas you have visited?

well, yes, your ideas could be also very good :) 
anyway i will die soon because it happens that soldier shoot me but i can't see always, so maybe an hidden map to find first or also parts of the map to collect and energy to find also could be a nice start :)
Also only shows the areas you have visited is good, it should be also the classic method used by doom for example :)

• 4 weeks later...
11 hours ago, artrag said:

Any news on this incredible project?

No I haven't worked on it since the last update. I would like to turn this into a full game, but the work of designing levels, puzzles and background story is not appealing to me. More features would also be needed to keep up the interest for more than a few levels. Switches, for instance, that remove part of the wall somewhere, could turn it into more of a puzzle game. And for the action part at least one type of boss, some different weapons and health kits. It's all technically possible, and I like working on new features, but I'm not sure it's worth the effort if it doesn't turn into a full game anyway.

I think I will add a boss, which will at least complete the one-level demo. It would have to be done with very few characters, probably reusing characters from the existing guard. And if anyone is interested in designing more levels [edit: easy using Magellan], those should be possible to add too.

Edited by Asmusr
  • Like 4

I understand what you mean, a full game is a lot of work and once you have proved that something can work, all the excitement for the technical results is replaced by the stress of crafting a playable game. At least this was my feeling when I stopped the raycasting project for MSX TR.

Edited by artrag

• 3 weeks later...

I fixed a number of issues, and now it's close to working correctly. But I still think there is some issue with the textures in the horizontal direction.

Although the code is not yet optimized, clearly textures are too slow for the a person shooter, so this branch of the code intended for something like an RPG. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, fabrice montupet said:

Yes,  having ported Raycasting on the TI-99/4A is a real feat. Rasmus'work will always impressed me! Rasmus, you're awesome!
But  I think that (but it is my own opinion) that colors choices and graphics (especially the soldier shape) could be improved and more harmonious.

Thanks. You're welcome to improve the graphics. I have attached the Magellan file. It also contains the first level map if you want to design another one.

map2.mag

• Like 3

On 8/9/2020 at 3:24 PM, fabrice montupet said:

I can't find the wall textures in this file. Is it the one of a previous update?

I want to do more work on the texture code branch before I share it. The textures are not edited in Magellan but in an editor I wrote for that purpose.

15 hours ago, Asmusr said:

It could be a bit faster if I 'unpacked' my textures (from 2 pixels/byte to 2 textures with 1 pixel/byte) so I didn't have to spend time shifting bits around.

Please unpack textures! even if you double the space encoding them twice, once in the lower and in the upper nibble  it will be worth!

• Like 1