6 hours ago, TheMole said:

Wow!

Yes the speed is amazing. I did something a little bit like it some years ago:

• Like 4

Dear Asmusr,

Please be so nice to upload from time to time a new video of the newest version of your Raycaster, too. Please upload the latest version of this program as a file for Classic99 as well. Will you possibly allow the final version of your Raycaster to run also using only FinalGROM 99 (of course with less graphical elements than in the case, when AMS is used)?

Regards

Edited by MueThor

On 9/29/2020 at 12:00 AM, MueThor said:

Dear Asmusr,

Please be so nice to upload from time to time a new video of the newest version of your Raycaster, too. Please upload the latest version of this program as a file for Classic99 as well. Will you possibly allow the final version of your Raycaster to run also using only FinalGROM 99 (of course with less graphical elements than in the case, when AMS is used)?

Regards

I promise to get back with more videos as soon as I have something new and consistent to show. At the moment the code is in flux. I'm afraid it's SAMS only from now on unless someone invents a new cartridge type that can work with 2 separate 4K pages.

• Like 2

On 9/28/2020 at 7:17 PM, artrag said:

Martinez Torres, on msx.org, mentioned your TI99/4A raycaster as source of inspiration for his work

https://www.msx.org/forum/msx-talk/development/msx-karts-1st-playable-demo

After reading the explanation a couple of times I'm slowly beginning to understand how it works. Am I correct that the lookup tables alone take up 1MB of ROM?

https://www.msx.org/forum/msx-talk/development/msx-karts-1st-playable-demo?page=2

On 9/28/2020 at 8:36 AM, Asmusr said:

Yes the speed is amazing. I did something a little bit like it some years ago:

Yes, I remember...

1102846400_TheOneThatGotAway.png.2a41185532770dfbe746aec9c6d2e568.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Asmusr said:

After reading the explanation a couple of times I'm slowly beginning to understand how it works. Am I correct that the lookup tables alone take up 1MB of ROM?

https://www.msx.org/forum/msx-talk/development/msx-karts-1st-playable-demo?page=2

I see that too. 

There are 256 of the 4K  angle_ arrays. Each contains single and double arrays taking up 1024 uint16_t.
There are 4 of the 8K track1_png_ arrays.

So 1MB + 32K.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Omega-TI said:

Yes, I remember...

That was for the F18A so it cannot should not be compared. 

Edited by Asmusr

The lookup table, encoding 16 angles on 90°, is 1024KB, i.e. 128 segments of 8KB of the Rom mapper.

The 64x64 map is encoded 4 times (rotated by 90° each time) and takes 32KB.

Edited by artrag

This demo requires SAMS. There is a new maze, new wall textures, and lots of new monster textures borrowed from Buzzkill's 32x32 tileset for Angband. I have replaced the gun with a compass, and if you view the map you only see the areas you have visited. The monsters are harmless for now, so the only challenge to complete the 'game' is to find your way to the bottom left corner.

P. S. I have not done anything yet to optimize the drawing of 'sprites'.

texcaster8.bin

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Asmusr said:

This demo requires SAMS. There is a new maze, new wall textures, and lots of new monster textures borrowed from Buzzkill's 32x32 tileset for Angband. I have replaced the gun with a compass, and if you view the map you only see the areas you have visited. The monsters are harmless for now, so the only challenge to complete the 'game' is to find your way to the bottom left corner.

P. S. I have not done anything yet to optimize the drawing of 'sprites'.

texcaster8.bin 512 kB · 10 downloads

That's a system seller there! ;)

Unbelievable! I had to double check to make sure this was indeed made for the TI! We are not worthy...

• Like 2

Here is the RPK; use a configuration like this:

mame64 ti99_4a -ioport peb -ioport:peb:slot2 samsmem -ioport:peb:slot3 speech -cart texcaster.rpk

texcaster.rpk

• Like 1

Some of those textures are incredibly refined, so impressive to see this on a 9918! I mean... that green metal door texture for instance, is amazing!

• Like 2

I think there's an issue with the uploaded image though... when I try to run it in js99er, all walls have a jellyfish texture.

Screenshot 2020-10-10 at 16.38.03.png

49 minutes ago, artrag said:

Maybe a problem in SAMS emulation?

Ah, yes, probably! I will test again tomorrow when I'm at my computer.

2 hours ago, artrag said:

Maybe a problem in SAMS emulation?

Yes if SAMS is not enabled.