IGNORED

Raycaster

Asmusr

2 minutes ago, LASooner said:

Are you planning on having the ground and sky change when you use the tree wall texture? It would feel like you were in a dark forest if the ceiling just went black and dirt grass textures were used for the ground.

Yes. Everything is experimental right now.

I'm thinking about doubling the height of the bottom panel from 32 to 64 pixels. Not only would it improve performance a bit, it would also allow me to store the screen buffer in one SAMS bank, which would free up 5KB address space, and it would allow the compass to be moved out of the screen and make room for other controls. The downside, of course, is that the 3D area is reduced, but in fat pixels it would still have twice as high resolution vertically than horizontally (64x128). I don't want to change the aspect ratio further, which would make the doors wider than they are tall, so I would just cut off 16 pixels at the top and bottom. Here is a mockup:

js99er-20201128124538.png.a791f9280fbae2b690a3e86725a29939.png

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It's been a month since my last update and a lot has happened. The change to a smaller screen since in perhaps the most noticeable, and as you can see I still haven't filled the top row with icons. Continuous music has also be added, and the tune that's playing if one I composed just today. It needs to be longer, but I'm quite pleased with its mood. For TIPI owners it will be important that you can now use the TIPI mouse instead of the joystick interface. For now you can click enemies to attack them, but the combat system generally needs a lot of work. Another improvement is that the floor and ceiling changes depending on the area of the map. There are only 2 combinations now, but there is room for four in the ROM. More data are unpacked to SAMS memory now, which is why it takes a while to start the game.

texcaster.rpk texcaster8.bin

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

On 12/28/2020 at 6:54 PM, Vorticon said:

I'm probably the only dissenting voice here, but I found the "bass" track to be extremely unpleasant, maybe because it was so dominating the rest of the melody... The graphics on the other hand, wow...

I concur on the Bass line. It could come down 6 dB. 

And the pitch of the lowest note is not an exact fourth below the root note.  It's sharp by a 1/4 tone or a touch less.

Some of the high melody is off the conventional scale as well.

That could be by design because it definitely creates "tension" in me. :) 

However, I am gob smacked by the graphics. Would never have thought that possible on a 99.

• 3 weeks later...

I like the walls, however the forrest and trees, can't say I like all the black against the background of the trees.  Not sure if it would be better as a brown or blue at tree level, but definitely not black for the tree background as well as the sky.  

My 2 cents.

• Confused 1

For myself, I like the black sky and white stars in the forest. And also the black color in the trees background, it gives some depth. But, I think that the ground couldn't be a stone checkerboard alike, I find it too pixels heavy that affects the visibility of the scene. Maybe be a more neutral ground could be better.

On 1/23/2021 at 12:39 PM, Elia Spallanzani fdt said:

Monsters and objects are drawn with raphael?

Yes, but I use a 32x64 resolution now, with 2x1 pixels. And any sprites, i.e. monsters and objects that are not 'walls', should have a transparent background (color 0).

Edited by Asmusr