IGNORED

Raycaster

Asmusr

On 1/28/2021 at 1:43 PM, Elia Spallanzani fdt said:

the atrocious Ape Lich!

apelich.jpg

apelich.rap 5.19 kB · 4 downloads

Thank you for the drawings. It's fun be able to draw without color restrictions if you're used to draw for TI bitmap mode. But in reality on the TI many details will be lost.  I really like the emerald.

Edited by Asmusr

9 hours ago, Elia Spallanzani fdt said:

wait, are you saying your game can't show these images?

No that's not what I'm saying. At close range you should see most of the pixels since the screen resolution of 128x64 is a good match for the texture resolution of 32x64. But when you move further away the quality deteriorates rapidly as I have tried to illustrate with these images. It's a bigger issue for the enemies, which you usually don't want very close to you, than for the walls.

apelich.png.5553188c6cc4ba8f5d44cc0d08f077b7.pngapelich2.png.49bfa8d08437fde0077f684e75637d28.pngapelich3.png.932267be183276f7349a14415ce80f6a.png

• Like 1

Ok. if raphael also showed the result at a lower resolution, the creator of the icon could try to optimize.

p.s. to limit the problem you could:
- establish that monsters preferably move along walls;
- prohibit the player from stepping back, or making the move slower.
So monsters should appear more often at a short distance

Edited by Elia Spallanzani fdt

3 hours ago, Elia Spallanzani fdt said:

Ok. if raphael also showed the result at a lower resolution, the creator of the icon could try to optimize.

I'm not sure if a view that, for instance, dropped every second pixel would be that helpful.

4 hours ago, Elia Spallanzani fdt said:

- establish that monsters preferably move along walls;

I'm not sure how that would help?

4 hours ago, Elia Spallanzani fdt said:

- prohibit the player from stepping back, or making the move slower.

Don't you think that would be slightly annoying? And how would you approach the monsters in the first instance?

I don't think this is an issue that needs a solution. It's just something to be aware of when you draw textures.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Elia Spallanzani fdt said:

If the monster position is near to the door, when the player enter the room must rotate to see the monster, so the monster in that time can get nearer.

For the stepping back, 

a man normally retreats slower than he advances.

This could justify the limitation.

P.s. please consider that i know little english.

If we wanted to achieve that you only see monsters when they are close and big there are several ways to do that, but I don't think that's desirable. On the contrary, the scaling of the textures at different sizes is a major feature of this game engine that's quite unique on the TI.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, artrag said:

Maybe using multiple images for different scales could help to render sprites with better aliasing.

You could use 2 or 3 intermediate images and scale the actual size from the closest scale 

Yes maybe hand drawn images at lower resolutions would do better at keeping important details than the basic sampling algorithm I'm using, but it's not something I'm going to investigate because I'm quite happy with how it's working now. The thing to remember when you draw textures is that small details are fine as long as they are not important. If you draw something that people need to see it has to be quite big.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Elia Spallanzani fdt said:

I reduced the image to a quarter to get an idea of what it would look like from a distance. I can redesign each object by doubling the size. I don't have a ti99 and can't open the files you attach.

You should be able to go to js99er and open his files on his emulator, no hardware involved. Or use Classic99 or Mame to open them.

• Like 2

Just played through it on a real machine. It's an absolutely playable demo with a few puzzles, and not too hard. A few glitches with the blood stains. The red potions give health and and green potions and the barrels give might (the ability to attack). You need to use the mouse or joystick to get and use the keys. I wish a had a TIPI so I could try the mouse interface, but it's supposed to work well.

• Like 3

@Asmusr I played a bit with the game too and it is really playable and I really like. The result is Impressive, I just have to admit that textures sometime camouflage objects from my sight ?

I would want to ask also if it could be possible to replace the dot used for the position with a directional arrow indicating always the right direction you are looking in the 3D view

Something like this for example:

2021-02-06_231831.thumb.jpg.bb26b0640ef37f56825cc03d492c8fa8.jpg

I would find it very useful to orientate well in the map thinking to the 3D view
what you think?

Just played through it on a real machine. It's an absolutely playable demo with a few puzzles, and not too hard. A few glitches with the blood stains. The red potions give health and and green potions and the barrels give might (the ability to attack). You need to use the mouse or joystick to get and use the keys. I wish a had a TIPI so I could try the mouse interface, but it's supposed to work well.
I have them in stock :)

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, ti99iuc said:

@Asmusr I played a bit with the game too and it is really playable and I really like. The result is Impressive, I just have to admit that textures sometime camouflage objects from my sight ?

I would want to ask also if it could be possible to replace the dot used for the position with a directional arrow indicating always the right direction you are looking in the 3D view

I would find it very useful to orientate well in the map thinking to the 3D view
what you think?

Yes that should be possible.

• Like 4

On 2/6/2021 at 11:24 PM, ti99iuc said:

what you think?

I hope this will help with the orientation.

texcaster.rpk texcaster8.bin

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2