IGNORED

HSC17 Round 8: LA SWAT + GRIDRUNNER

LA SWAT + GRIDRUNNER

Winning the "budget cassette games" poll and making it's HSC debut is the fun vertical walker LA S.W.A.T. along with the simple but awesome Gridrunner (re-release of the Llamasoft Classic). Either way we're in the grid and blasting :lust:

Scoring probably like the last round with both games making one set of HSC points.

Round closes Sunday 10th May 10AM UK Time (5AM EST)

LA SWAT

Desipite it's simplicity it has something about it, uphold the law!

Fandal XEX

atarimania COM(XEX) and info and a spirited comments section featuring the debate: Is it "Special Weapons And Tactics" or just a man with a Fly Swat? :-D [Space=pause]

swat.png.43cdec168984801a11a47f850972ae38.png

GRIDRUNNER

An intense blaster from the master blaser: Jeff Minter. No camels this time but I'm sure there are some creatures lurking near-by ;) Start from the first level each go (press fire).  Post the level you reached as this will be used as the tie-breaker. [Space=pause]

Fandal XEX

atarimania Info

gridrunner.png.070fbad76829988d3466da160f717936.png

BLAST AT WILL! sorry Will :o

Edited by therealbountybob
Gridrunner level reached used for tie breaking so please post this!
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

SWAT randomly locks up on my 130XE. I tried both the version from Fandal and the version on Atarimania. Sometimes the game locks up rather instantly, sometimes I can play for a few minutes before it freezes. Since I've had a few games before that don't behave well on my computer, I wonder if I'm having some peculiar hardware/RAM failure that only shows up on every 50th or 100th game I'm playing.

Edit: I have now tried nearly every version I could find on Atarionline.pl as well as the files on the CD/DVD that came with my SIO2SD. All lock up randomly, and some have really nasty graphics glitches sometimes. I should see if my NTSC 800 will play this game, or perhaps stick with emulation, assuming this is one of the rare games where my 130XE is faulty/incompatible.

Also Gridrunner is a game I much prefer on the lower resolution VIC-20 than the A8 or C64 with its 40 columns. I can't put my finger on why, but the lower resolution VIC (which I think was the original system Jeff programmed it for) has a nicer feel to it. Perhaps if the A8 version had run in 20 column mode I would like it better but then again people tend to want the highest possible resolution on every game they're playing.

Gridrunner - 13020 pts, got to grid 3

Swat - 3105 pts when it froze

gridrunner-13020.thumb.jpg.5fda2ab3687d686c0015157753791103.jpg

laswat-3105.thumb.jpg.3785f811fbf999a10e5d754ef51dd626.jpg

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 3

@carlsson I'll upload my transdisked LA SWAT tomorrow evening. Did you try the .com file on atarimania (link on 1st post)?

Not sure if it will stand up to a full play but might surprise us.

Played a bit of Gridrunner - first life lasted less than 1 second!!! But starting to calm down and work out some tactics (brown trousers) and managed 37,678. Scoring slightly flawed but should work out ok. Please post the level you reached on the scoring go (5) and the best level you have reached (9).

1338608106_Gridrunner37678.thumb.jpg.e0948731678064fc4ede58af9a1e4c2a.jpg

Edited by therealbountybob
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, therealbountybob said:

Did you try the .com file on atarimania (link on 1st post)?

Yup. Both the versions on Fandal, Atarimania, just about every version I could find on Atarionline.pl, plus four versions that came with my SIO2SD (which may be the exact same as the ones already downloaded). It is not like it crashes at the exact same spot. Sometimes I can play for 2-3 minutes and get close to the end of the street, sometimes it crashes within two seconds. Sometimes I get garbage graphics in front of the player sprite, sometimes the baddies flash. Assuming it plays on other PAL 130XE's, I would assume there is that odd fault inside of my computer that only shows up for a handful of games.

18 hours ago, carlsson said:

Yup. Both the versions on Fandal, Atarimania, just about every version I could find on Atarionline.pl, plus four versions that came with my SIO2SD (which may be the exact same as the ones already downloaded). It is not like it crashes at the exact same spot. Sometimes I can play for 2-3 minutes and get close to the end of the street, sometimes it crashes within two seconds. Sometimes I get garbage graphics in front of the player sprite, sometimes the baddies flash. Assuming it plays on other PAL 130XE's, I would assume there is that odd fault inside of my computer that only shows up for a handful of games.

Try this it's an ATR with the game on made from a multiboot disk. I guess I transferred it to multiboot from my original cassette, might have been a single stage load so I didn't use transdisk IV this time :ponder:

LASWAT.ATR

1 minute ago, carlsson said:

@therealbountybob Your version freezes just like all the other I tried.

I probably should try to locate some really thorough diagnostic program for Atari. The built-in memory checker doesn't detect any faults, 3x16 yellow checks and then it repeats.

Sounds like something to ask about on the main forum. Hope you get it resolved :thumbsup:

LA SWAT not as serious but my fire button packed up after 2 goes! Will fix that later but after switching to another stick reached level 4: 39,430

Photo2911.thumb.jpg.6cb4116964f54992f8549832b9f5e515.jpg

Gridrunner 53,890 (lv7) - (9 is the highest I've reached). Level 5 is insanely hard but sometimes I get past it :-o

Photo2914.thumb.jpg.9f1bd5a7829a2dc16ac757422f3605d6.jpg

• Like 1