IGNORED

C256 FMX

sm3

1 hour ago, Gray Defender said:

So, I am curious, what happens when the final product is released?  Can it be updated somehow?

Yes, this initial FMX version is kind of like the deluxe version.  The ROM is flash based and the custom chips are FPGA (3 of them) so they can all be updated. I think it remains to be seen how much of what is provided in this developer version will remain in the cost reduced final version.

Here is a video from the creator of the C256 Foenix on what may come next: 

There is a developers guide available as well it seems with additional information:

https://github.com/Trinity-11/FoenixIDE/blob/master/Manuals/c256-foenix-devguide.pdf

Here is a video from last year where she talks more about the C256:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/17/2020 at 11:05 AM, zeiche said:

found out about this too late! definitely would have bought one.

Looks like she is making some of the boards available still:

https://c256foenix.com/product/c256-foenix-fmx-revc4b-black-3d-printed-enclosure/?v=7516fd43adaa

For anyone that wanted one, this might be your chance. Maybe there is hope still!

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
3 hours ago, mozartpc27 said:

I am interested in this project.  The renders on the website make it look like a console type machine - will it ultimately come with at least the ability to use a keyboard and a mode intended for that use?

It comes with Kernel and Basic and you can use a PS/2 keyboard with it. 

On 11/18/2020 at 9:27 PM, mozartpc27 said:

I am interested in this project.  The renders on the website make it look like a console type machine - will it ultimately come with at least the ability to use a keyboard and a mode intended for that use?

The C256 is smaller than it looks of course. The FMX version I have is just bit smaller than an Apple Magic Keyboard (from side to side) but it's a bit deeper (front to back) than the Magic Keyboard. I was surprised actually how small it was when I received it. But you just buy a PS2 mouse and keyboard and you are set! See the pics I made in the first post. Of course this is not the "user" version.

• 4 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Gray Defender said:

Does the device run any compatible software or is it just a hardware block that someone needs to develop for?

Unfortunately no, it doesn't have a 64 mode or whatever like a C128 or Mega65. It will only run software created for it.

file.php?id=49

Is there any emulator of this system, if so even for a subset of it? I'm not thinking in terms of detracting from sales, but in terms of possibly increase the user/software base, perhaps if there is interest for a software jam/contest that does not require every participant to first buy a $200 hobbyist computer that they may or may not be amused of.

3 hours ago, carlsson said:

Is there any emulator of this system, if so even for a subset of it? I'm not thinking in terms of detracting from sales, but in terms of possibly increase the user/software base, perhaps if there is interest for a software jam/contest that does not require every participant to first buy a $200 hobbyist computer that they may or may not be amused of.

Yes there is, but it is mostly for development/testing so not like running Altirra or something like that.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Well, not sure if anyone has been following what has been going on with the C256 these days, but have a look at what is coming next:C256 Gen X

Keep in mind, it will still contain the onboard 65C816 but now with added options. Probably the bad news is, it's not going to be cheaper.

I decided to go for the MC68SEC000 CPU module for starters. An i486 DX2-66 might be in the cards for me later as well. It's cool to have many options available.

If you have about 2.3 hours, you can watch a live stream Stefany just released yesterday as well where she goes in a bit more detail about things: C256 Gen X - The Product Video Review