IGNORED

Want To Buy: Rarer 2600 Games

Deemar

Is anyone thinking of letting go of some of the rarer stuff to pay bills? I'm looking for things at a discount to help other people out and also help my collection, things like Tooth Protectors, Atlantis II or Pepsi Invaders, preferably complete. I don't resell anything if that helps you decide, everything stays in my collection. Offer me anything that's hard to find.

10 minutes ago, Deemar said:

Is anyone thinking of letting go of some of the rarer stuff to pay bills? I'm looking for things at a discount to help other people out and also help my collection

I'm sorry, but that just sounds vulturous. So you'll be so kind as to take the rarest pieces of a persons collection for pennies on the dollar because the current situation gives you the opportunity? If you really want to "help others" you will give them fair market value price for their stuff.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Just now, eightbit said:

I'm sorry, but that just sounds vulturous.

A tad. Unfortunately, I fear that some might find themselves weighing one thing (a collection) against another (bills due) should things sour further economically. I think the pitch could be put more gently, though, despite the reality some might or will face...

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Keatah said:

It's too depressing selling stuff. I just throw it out and be done with it.

I try giving it away, first.  I would rather not make money and see it in the hands of someone who will appreciate it.  None of my collections are investments.

• Like 1

comment deleted - it wasn't productive

I'll just say I'm not a fan of this type of buying. It's not a unique service as there are lots of us who are still purchasing games and there will continue to be a high-end market.

Edited by cvga
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, Keatah said:

It's too depressing selling stuff. I just throw it out and be done with it.

Exactly. If you get super depressed because you have to start throwing out your most prized, rare and valuable stuff please send me your address so I can send you a card to cheer you up!

Or you know, throw it up on Ebay auction and let it ride and let the current market even as it is decide. Likely, would still end up at fair market price if not more. Hell, even a tad discounted personally I would feel better than selling to you just out of principle. I am sorry but trying to come off like you are doing anything here except be selfish or take advantage is hilarious and nobody is buying it. Now, I am sure no actual rule is broken, you be you man but just drop the Saint act, it is taking advantage of people during a crisis, nothing more and it's insulting to this community. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Deemar said:

Is anyone thinking of letting go of some of the rarer stuff to pay bills? I'm looking for things at a discount to help other people out and also help my collection, things like Tooth Protectors, Atlantis II or Pepsi Invaders, preferably complete. I don't resell anything if that helps you decide, everything stays in my collection. Offer me anything that's hard to find.

Dude, having to pay bills is a complete pain. Having to sell a few of the rarest games in your collection to pay those bills is like rubbing salt in the wound. Selling the stuff for cheap is like having someone vomit on the injury that already has an infection because of the salt had the Coronavirus on it. Also, AtariAge is a group that mostly consists mostly of collectors. Hardcore collectors care about their collection, so much so that are willing to pay thousands for these rare games. They probably won't sell them no matter how much you offer. And there's a good chance that those who can afford to have a copy of Pepsi Invaders are pretty rich.

Taking advantage of people that are in trouble isn't helping them. If you really want to help them, you're better off paying more than market value of what they have, or straight up donating them money. I'm guessing you don't want to though, seeing that you aren't even willing to pay a fair price for the items.

2 hours ago, Deemar said:

A lot of people aren't buying anything so I think I'm offering something here others aren't. It may be hard to unload some of this stuff right now but I'd be willing to buy if it's discounted.

These are the three reasons why it's hard to sell a rare and expensive game.

1. Seller isn't credible enough

2. People can't afford it

3. Those that can afford it already have it

If you want rare games at a discount price, look through flea markets, goodwill, etc. Don't ask people take advantage of people who need money. You aren't offering something that others aren't. If someone really wanted to sell their collection to pay bills, they could easily just list it as an eBay auction and it'll probably fetch more than market value, because there are people that are offering much more than you are.

P.S. You posted this in the wrong forum. People will be even more pissed at you because of this.

Yeh worse than me crushing, burning, smashing all my games. Folding soundcards in half because its fun. Decappnig chips with a sledgehammer and not having any good results. Putting cartridges in the garbage disposer. Dragging consoles in the street by their RF cables. AND MOAR!!!! Wheee!!!!

4 hours ago, Deemar said:

To help ensure you help me out as well as your collection. I'll sell some stuff at regular asking price. No discount. That way there's enough money for me.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Shawn said:

I have a better idea. How about you go fuck yourself! :x

Sorry about getting a bit off topic, but I can be very annoying in real life if I really try, and "go fuck yourself" is a phrase I hear a lot. Every time they say that, I say, "My dick's not long enough to reach that far back."

• Haha 1

Wow, this didn't go as planned at all. I have a few items outside my target collections and I just wish someone from those markets would knock on my door.

I have taken all of your notes except the one incredibly rude comment and have decided to abandon my search here based on your advice.

I did post this in the Buy, Sell, Trade forum, how is that the wrong area? I'm buying something.

5 minutes ago, Deemar said:

Wow, this didn't go as planned at all. I have a few items outside my target collections and I just wish someone from those markets would knock on my door.

I have taken all of your notes except the one incredibly rude comment and have decided to abandon my search here based on your advice.

I did post this in the Buy, Sell, Trade forum, how is that the wrong area? I'm buying something.

Although Shawn can go overboard sometimes you did make a few mistakes here. As many others have said, it is rude to take advantage of someone who's in need of money to take away rare games from them. It's not that we don't want people buying stuff here; you have taken a wrong approach at doing so.

Also, the "Buy, Sell, Trade" forum is for people who want to sell or trade their stuff, and people who want to buy the stuff people have already listed. Jaybird3rd has even posted a pinned announcement not to create WTB posts here. There is a "Wanted" forum on AtariAge for a reason; if you want something that isn't already for sale at the moment.

You don't seem to be realizing what you have done wrong. People here aren't offended for no reason. Try apologizing for a change.

28 minutes ago, Deemar said:

It's a little like the brothers who bought up all the hand sanitizer in order to resell it at massive profits. They claimed that they were providing a service when it was clear that they were taking advantage of the situation to benefit themselves. You may not have intended it to be that way but your post has more of the "how can I take advantage of others' misfortunes in order to get myself a good deal" than I'm providing a valuable service.

"That's horrible that your insurance isn't covering everything from the house fire!  By the way, did any of your game collection survive?  I might be interested"

"I'm really sorry to hear that your dad died... Hey, he had a collection of Atari games right?  Mind if I come over and take a look?"

• Like 5