IGNORED

What are the best 2600 games most people have never played?

scitari

Here are some obscure-but-goodies from a cross-section of publishers:

Subterranea (Imagic)

Radar Lock (Atari)

Stargunner (Telesys)

Private Eye (Activision)

BMX Airmaster (TNT)

Threshold (Tigervision)

Montezuma's Revenge (Parker Bros.)

Guardian (Apollo)

Cross Force (Spectravision)

Rescue Terra I (VentureVision; their only release IIRC)

Name This Game (U.S. Games)

Encounter At L5 (Data Age)

Air Raiders (M-Network)

Spitfire Attack (Milton Bradley)

Stellar Track (Sears)

Frontline (Coleco)

Spacemaster X7 (20th Century Fox)

Blueprint (CBS Electronics)

Marine Wars (Konami)

Tanks But No Tanks (Zimag)

Tac-Scan (Sega)

(Apparently I lean toward shooters. ?)

• Like 5

Great thread topic! :)

Asterix from 1983 which is an awesome arcade game I played only recently after purchasing an UnoCart, and also Klax from 1990 which some folk may not be aware of due to the late release of the game.

The Uno flashcart lists the Atari games using a large friendly VIC-20 sized font with white letters on a bright blue background so I've been finding and  playing games I never noticed before on the Harmony even though I had them - partially this was because I had folders with  700 ROM's unsorted while the Uno sorts games alphabetically and limits folder sizes to 80 ROM's which is very pagable.

• Like 1

For some reason, Reactor by Parker Brothers always kept me entertained; I liked the crazy sounds in it.  I also liked Private Eye by Activision, it was very challenging, but very good also.  No one seemed interested in trading these games when I was a kid, so it seemed to me they weren't all that popular.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Jaden (JRH) said:

I love Gyruss on the 2600, but nobody else seems to.

You're not alone... love Gyruss on the VCS too! Pretty much gets played whenever we have a gaming night. 

Reactor was mentioned above also... had that BITD, loved and still play to this day. I've criticized Mr. Do!'s Castle and Sky Skipper in the past, but am glad Parker Bros. tackled some of the other unique arcade games.  :love:

• Like 1

Eggomania, to me, was what Kaboom! should have been...I wished they would have merged the two...Kaboom graphics with a bonus stage like Eggo....

When I was young, we would get picked on (or pick on each other) for playing Eggomania, along with most U.S. games, or anything in the vein of Smurf and Strawberry Shortcake.  No male teenager would be caught dead playing them...so I ended up only playing Eggo when no one else was around....

• Like 1

Super Football - a late release by Atari that is really impressive.  The game incorporates punts, kickoffs and field goals that are usually left out of football games from this era. Compared to other football games on the Atari this one wins in the graphics department.  You will need the manual to keep track of all the different plays and plan to pass it back and forth with the second player.

Frankenstein's Monster - a great game from Data Age who are sadly more well known for releasing stinkers.  If you enjoy Pitfall! I recommend tracking this one down.  This game contains one of the coolest Game Over screens and the horror theme is always a welcome addition to any collection.  Might make a good double-feature night pairing with Haunted House

Moonsweeper - Imagic made quite a few great games for the Atari and this one typically gets overlooked (Atlantis and Demon Attack were huge sellers back in the day after all).  Pseudo 3-d graphics and intense shooting action make this one a winner.  I give this one bonus points for the game-over ditty of Swing Low Sweet Chariot. Classy

Fast Eddie - Fox published some interesting titles and for reasons I can't explain I've spent the most time playing this one.  It's just fun.  Grab a friend and see who can get the highest score.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, uglyclone said:

Super Football - a late release by Atari that is really impressive.  The game incorporates punts, kickoffs and field goals that are usually left out of football games from this era. Compared to other football games on the Atari this one wins in the graphics department.  You will need the manual to keep track of all the different plays and plan to pass it back and forth with the second player.

Frankenstein's Monster - a great game from Data Age who are sadly more well known for releasing stinkers.  If you enjoy Pitfall! I recommend tracking this one down.  This game contains one of the coolest Game Over screens and the horror theme is always a welcome addition to any collection.  Might make a good double-feature night pairing with Haunted House

Moonsweeper - Imagic made quite a few great games for the Atari and this one typically gets overlooked (Atlantis and Demon Attack were huge sellers back in the day after all).  Pseudo 3-d graphics and intense shooting action make this one a winner.  I give this one bonus points for the game-over ditty of Swing Low Sweet Chariot. Classy

Fast Eddie - Fox published some interesting titles and for reasons I can't explain I've spent the most time playing this one.  It's just fun.  Grab a friend and see who can get the highest score.

I fully agree with Super Football, Frankenstein's Monster and Fast Eddie.

Because Frankenstein's Monster is kind of pricey it will continue to be missed out by many folk.

With Super Football, check out this old thread and the sweet play sheet that a member was thoughtful enough to share.  I got my laminated and it still comes in handy when playing.....

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/188730-super-football/?tab=comments#comment-2384847

• Like 2

Another vote for Beamrider. It really is an excellent shooter and it looks pretty good too.

Pressure Cooker is another splendid light puzzle / action game with high production values that because it came out late and because of the subject matter probably didn't get much attention. Modern games like Overcooked have clear roots in this little game.

Space Shuttle - probably more people admired than played this one. Setting aside the technical achievement I found this to be a really enjoyable game that despite just being a series of very simple micro-games somehow became more than a sum of its parts. Cartridge size meant you only had one mission type of course but imagine what could have been done with some more ROM?

Solar Storm - a shmup with paddle control!! At  first this game looks really unfair because you can't dodge the enemy lasers - but once you realise each enemy can only fire once it starts to make sense. You can also position your self just out of line with the enemy laser and fire back although this takes a great deal of skill once things start to speed up. Great look and sound to this one too.

I've also always been fond of Realsports Volleyball which at first looks so primitive but spend some time with it and its charms soon reveal themselves. I'm also a fan of its graphical style.

Edited by davyK
  • Like 2

Fantastic Voyage by 20th Century Fox is a very good game, but you need to read the rules and NOT shoot the wrong things...

I thought M*A*S*H was also worthwhile; a nice two-part game. Also Fox.

The 20th Century Fox games are often overlooked, but there are some real gems among them.

• Like 1