IGNORED

Spacechase variation

Atari_Bill

Picked up a spacechase game recently after noticing a different looking manual to it.  Of course in my mind I’m thinking it might be one of the mythical initial versions since it’s different. Long story short, it’s not but I still cannot find a pic of this version of the manual anywhere else. Anyone else have this version?

D283E037-846D-47FF-813D-70508E51D3E3.jpeg

• Like 5

Wow, Bill, that manual's really interesting.  I've never seen it before.  It's missing the name of the game across the top, and the logo is on a white background.  Have you read through it to see if there's any other difference compared to the regular manual?

The regular manual has the name of the game in white across the top of the cover.  I have one where the name is in black, which I've never seen anywhere else.  In that manual, the only difference I see is in the "Maximum Heat-Seeking Missiles" paragraph of the SCORING section.  The regular manual indicates that the scoring for Maximum Heat-Seeking Missiles is the same as that for Minimum Heat-Seeking Missiles.  But my alternate manual specifies different score values for Maximum Heat-Seeking Missiles.  You might want to pay particular attention to this section, when comparing manuals.

3 minutes ago, JayAre said:

Wow, Bill, that manual's really interesting.  I've never seen it before.  It's missing the name of the game across the top, and the logo is on a white background.  Have you read through it to see if there's any other difference compared to the regular manual?

The regular manual has the name of the game in white across the top of the cover.  I have one where the name is in black, which I've never seen anywhere else.  In that manual, the only difference I see is in the "Maximum Heat-Seeking Missiles" paragraph of the SCORING section.  The regular manual indicates that the scoring for Maximum Heat-Seeking Missiles is the same as that for Minimum Heat-Seeking Missiles.  But my alternate manual specifies different score values for Maximum Heat-Seeking Missiles.  You might want to pay particular attention to this section, when comparing manuals.

I haven’t compared yet. I’ll check that out this week to compare. My only guess is that this might be an early release manual but who knows?

26 minutes ago, JayAre said:

Here's the alternate version of the manual that I mentioned in my earlier post.  Anyone out there have this version?  Not sure how scarce it is; I don't see it online.

image.thumb.png.4ec3ba2b04edb6056de481a86d4d3fe5.png

image.thumb.png.7bd8349b7f51426372659b3c81674112.png

When I was researching mine, I did come across a few examples of the black lettered version.  I can’t recall where exactly but I think it was past eBay auctions.  

As far as mine goes, I’ve examined the text and it seems to be identical to yours with the black letters. The heat seeking missile section on ours is different than the copy posted earlier. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Atari_Bill said:

When I was researching mine, I did come across a few examples of the black lettered version.  I can’t recall where exactly but I think it was past eBay auctions.  

As far as mine goes, I’ve examined the text and it seems to be identical to yours with the black letters. The heat seeking missile section on ours is different than the copy posted earlier. 

Bill, thanks for the information on my version of the manual.  It looks like yours is the rarest of the bunch.  I'm guessing your manual and mine are, as you mentioned before, early-release manuals.

Out of curiosity, did you get a chance to test your cart to see what scoring system it has?  I'm assuming it scores the same as outlined in the regular version of the manual, and that the alternate scoring system described in your manual and mine are just errors.  But you never know.  If your cart scores just as indicated in your manual, then you have a different version of the cart on your hands.  Probably not, but it's worth testing.  It would just be a matter of playing game 7 and seeing how much you score every time you destroy a ship.  If you score 125, then it's a regular cart; but if you score 175, then your cart is a different, rarer version.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, JayAre said:

It would just be a matter of playing game 7 and seeing how much you score every time you destroy a ship.  If you score 125, then it's a regular cart; but if you score 175, then your cart is a different, rarer version.

This would be cool. A rarer version of the cart, with an even rarer version of the manual. If this turns out to be true, you may want to print a custom box to store this puppy when your not playing it.?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/27/2020 at 5:05 PM, sramirez2008 said:

This would be cool. A rarer version of the cart, with an even rarer version of the manual. If this turns out to be true, you may want to print a custom box to store this puppy when your not playing it.?

Finally gave this a try to check the scoring.  My cart scores normally. No variation.  I would guess this is a manual error, but you never know.  There might be a cart variation with the different scoring out there somewhere.  

• Thanks 1