IGNORED

Fast Atari BASIC circle

Below I have listed what I think is the fastest possible circle drawing program in Atari BASIC.

10 GRAPHICS 8:COLOR 1
20 R=40:CX=150:CY=100
30 X=0:Y=R:D=5-(4*R):DA=12:DB=20-(8*R)
40 PLOT CX+X,CY+Y:PLOT CX+X,CY-Y:PLOT CX-X,CY+Y:PLOT CX-X,CY-Y
45 PLOT CX+Y,CY+X:PLOT CX+Y,CY-X:PLOT CX-Y,CY+X:PLOT CX-Y,CY-X
50 IF D<0 THEN D=D+DA:DB=DB+8:GOTO 70
60 IF D>0 OR D=0 THEN Y=Y-1:D=D+DB:DB=DB+16
70 X=X+1:DA=DA+8
80 IF X<Y THEN GOTO 40

I adapted this to Atari BASIC from some pseudo code I found online and NO I do not understand the maths :lol:.

Can anyone do better ?

CIRCLE.BAS CIRCLE.TXT

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Graham Dearsley said:

I adapted this to Atari BASIC from some pseudo code I found online and NO I do not understand the maths :lol:.

Can anyone do better ?

Explaining or implementing? As far as explaining is concerned, this is a Bresenham style circle drawer similar to the Bresenham line drawer that is in the Os. The circle is the zero-set of the function f(x,y) = (x^2 + y^2 -r^2), and what this algorithm does is essentially an edge tracer of this zero-set, updating the function value f as it goes along. As an update to a quadratic function is linear, no multiplication is required.

One cannot really draw circles much faster in terms of simplicity, but there are related algorithms (Bresenham-style) to draw conic sections, i.e. circles, ellipses and so on, just with addition, subtraction and shifts.

Possibly speed it up a bit by replacing all constant integers in the loop with symbols (0, 1, 8, 16, 40, 70). Also, merge lines 10-30 together so that the goto finds line 40 faster.  Likewise, merge lines 40-50 together and merge lines 70-80 together so that you end up with just lines 10, 40, 60, 70.

Edited by StickJock

20 GRAPHICS 8:COLOR 1:DEG

30 FOR I=0 TO 89

40 X=(COS(I)*50)+50

50 Y=(SIN(I)*50)+96

60 PLOT X,Y:PLOT 100-X-,100-Y

70 PLOT 100-X,Y:PLOT X,100-Y

80 NEXT I

This method does the circle 4 times faster than normal, there's no reason why you can't put more PLOTs in to make it 8 times faster. And then you could put the co-ordinates into a string or array in order to call up more circles almost immediately.

A faster method still can be to keep an array with a SIN table.

Sacrifice some precision by increasing the angle steps, and do lines from prev to current rather than individual plots.

And you can effectively split the circle into 8 segments of 45 degrees each, and build each one during every loop iteration.

16 minutes ago, Graham Dearsley said:

That code doesn't work ac.tomo but if it did I see that it uses the sin and cosin functions and a FOR/NEXT loop, Atari BASIC and the OS math functions are slow at such things.

Did you try my routine ?

I did try your routine, it's very fast, I never really thought it was possible to create a circle without the trig functions such as COS and SIN. Yes, I did try to increase the PLOTs in my routine but I couldn't do it, I remember doing it a long time ago, and being a bit rusty I can't remember how I did it.

I made the main loop a for loop:

10 GRAPHICS 8:COLOR 1:R=40:CX=150:CY=100:X=0:Y=R:D=5-(4*R):DA=12:DB=20-(8*R):LIMIT=R*0.707+0.5
20 TI=PEEK(18)*65536+PEEK(19)*256+PEEK(20):FOR X=0 TO LIMIT:PLOT CX+X,CY+Y:PLOT CX+X,CY-Y:PLOT CX-X,CY+Y
30 PLOT CX-X,CY-Y:PLOT CX+Y,CY+X:PLOT CX+Y,CY-X:PLOT CX-Y,CY+X:PLOT CX-Y,CY-X:IF D<0 THEN D=D+DA:DB=DB+8:GOTO 50
40 Y=Y-1:D=D+DB:DB=DB+16
50 DA=DA+8:NEXT X:? PEEK(18)*65536+PEEK(19)*256+PEEK(20)-TI

Now it runs in 102 jiffies (Atari BASIC, PAL machine, emulated). I tried precalculation and making variables for the constants, but it didn't make a measurable difference.

• Like 1

procedure Circle(x0,y0,radius: word);
(*
@description:
Bresenham Circle
*)
var    x,y, dx,dy, txp, typ, txm, tym: word;
    d: smallint;

procedure DrawCircle;
    begin
        PutPixel( txp, typ);
        PutPixel( txp, tym);
        PutPixel( txm, typ);
        PutPixel( txm, tym);
    end;

begin

x := 0;
    dx := 0;

y := radius;
    dy := y shl 2;

d := 3 - (radius shl 1);            // Decision criterion

while (x <= y) do begin

if d >= 0 then begin            

d := 4 + d - dy ;

dec(dy, 4);

dec(y);
        end;

txp := x0+x;  typ := y0+y;
        txm := x0-x;  tym := y0-y;

DrawCircle;

txp := x0+y;  typ := y0+x;
        txm := x0-y;  tym := y0-x;

DrawCircle;

d := 6 + d + dx;

inc(dx, 4);

inc(x);
    end;

end;

6 hours ago, Graham Dearsley said:

That code doesn't work ac.tomo but if it did I see that it uses the sin and cosin functions and a FOR/NEXT loop, Atari BASIC and the OS math functions are slow at such things.

Did you try my routine ?

When you said my code didn't work do you mean not at all? Or do you mean you cannot expand on it with the other PLOTs, the reason I ask is because I'm having fun with my 65xe, it's not working as it should.

ok, that does actually work on mine, but it won't allow me to put more PLOT's in. I was playing about with a different program and that wasn't doing what it was supposed to be doing, initially I thought it was me but realised afterwards it is in fact my 65XE. I can't press my RESET key too many times either. Anyone know of an Atari for sale (that works!). This is twice this has happened to me, the other time was a 1050 I bought, realising later after I got it; it loads, but you can't save on it.