IGNORED

Fix it Felix C64 released

STE'86

Cheers, just had a look.  Pretty polished effort.

I had no idea this game ever existed.  OK, after a bit of research - a hypothetical arcade game for the movie Wreck-it-Ralph set around 1982 which was then made into an actual game then a fan version was done for the Megadrive.

Edited by Rybags

I'd seen the Fix-It Felix Jr. arcade game years ago and thought it was a decent concept for a classic-style arcade game. But one thing that always struck me as odd, is that we're fixing broken panes of glass with a hammer. How in the world does that work?? It's like fixing flat tires with a utility knife. Hahaha...

[Note: I understand it's just a simplification of: tool + work = fix.]

14 minutes ago, MrFish said:

I'd seen the Fix-It Felix Jr. arcade game years ago and thought it was a decent concept for a classic-style arcade game. But one thing that always struck me as odd, is that we're fixing broken panes of glass with a hammer. How in the world does that work?? It's like fixing flat tires with a utility knife. Hahaha...

[Note: I understand it's just a simplification of: tool + work = fix.]

It's like re-fuelling by shooting fuel canisters -or- getting upgrades by shooting alien ships -or ... (you name it).  Normally a woman takes pills to avoid pregnancy, but when Pacman eats pills and Ms. Pacman eats Pills, tada, 9 months later: Pacman jr. ! And Pacman jr. eats pills to become Pacman Schwarzenegger, errmm, Super Pacman... ;-)  It's all so logical in videogames...  ;-)  But it is not much different in several movies...

9 hours ago, STE'86 said:

Hi Guys,

just an OT heads up that we released Fix It Felix for the c64 yesterday.
I know quite a few of you on here "dual wield" but dont read the c64 part of this forum. :)

download from https://brokenbytes.itch.io/fix-it-felix-jr
donations are optional but all money goes to UNICEF

Not my cup of tea (too kiddie / childish-like)... but appears very polished, with plenty of vibrant dynamics... although the typical tin-can sound from C64 and weirdo colors...

I have the feeling that the overall look may be better on A 800/XL/XE platforms... 

4 hours ago, MrFish said:

But, having a look at the palette, I guess the answer is "no".

Wow, it doesn't even have a pure red or blue tone.

But seriously, that is a very professionally done game for the C64.  The digitized speech is impressive.

EDIT: I am watching a longplay video and the digitized speech is not as impressive as the demo video here.   But it's still well done.

Edited by FifthPlayer

I had to play it myself to believe the speech quality.  But it does seem a lot better in the initial video, maybe some post-processing low-pass filtering to reduce the hiss?

Polished for sure, I like the look of the title screen.

Not sure what repeat value this game would have, but the reason it even exists is that it was a movie prop so it's not like there would have been extensive development.

5 hours ago, Rybags said:

I had to play it myself to believe the speech quality.  But it does seem a lot better in the initial video, maybe some post-processing low-pass filtering to reduce the hiss?

Polished for sure, I like the look of the title screen.

Not sure what repeat value this game would have, but the reason it even exists is that it was a movie prop so it's not like there would have been extensive development.

The speech quality might vary slightly depending on the SID revision you have in your system, mine is very clear. If you run under emulation try different SID settings in VICE to hear the variances...

I would urge you to play it, very reminiscent of the arcade games of the time, and a lovely homage to a great movie IMHO.

10 hours ago, Faicuai said:

Not my cup of tea (too kiddie / childish-like)... but appears very polished, with plenty of vibrant dynamics... although the typical tin-can sound from C64 and weirdo colors...

I have the feeling that the overall look may be better on A 800/XL/XE platforms... 

I suspect you would find it no more kiddie than all the similar arcade games like DK, Dig Dug, Q*Bert etc - it's very much in the Donkey Kong feeling mould, if that's not your thing I get it, but it's no more juvenile than 80% of 80's arcade fare...

Take a look at some of the in game screens, I can't see how the A8 would mange so much color density and variation plus the number of moving objects with detail as shown here, but love to be shown to be wrong...

sTeVE

Edited by Jetboot Jack
  • Like 1