IGNORED

Fix it Felix C64 released

STE'86

regarding the longplay videos, you cant trust the ones being played on c64 Ultimates, the 8 bit samples in the intro vary wildly in playback quality on this kit depending on what settings they have and what bits they have bolted in it. only Vice and real hardware can be trusted to play back the samples as intended.

and yes the samples in the promo are the clean source sounds not the ones from in game

but the ones in game are excellent quality for 8 bit machines and can be heard for real in this WIP video for proof

7 minutes ago, STE'86 said:

regarding the longplay videos, you cant trust the ones being played on c64 Ultimates, the 8 bit samples in the intro vary wildly in playback quality on this kit depending on what settings they have and what bits they have bolted in it. only Vice and real hardware can be trusted to play back the samples as intended.

and yes the samples in the promo are the clean source sounds not the ones from in game

but the ones in game are excellent quality for 8 bit machines and can be heard for real in this WIP video for proof

Ste, what about Hoxs64?

I have / use an Ultimate ++ but have it set just for my onboard SID and not (iirc) for the emulated stereo versions...It sounds like the Ultimate replaces all the sids and is emulated only from what you said..?

Anyway, love it to bits..Cheers..

I dowloaded the game and donated as soon as it was released and played on real hardware.

After 72 hours almost 10000 people have downloaded it and £1100 has been raised for UNICEF.

Congratulations!

It would be nice to have an A8 version too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/28/2020 at 1:59 PM, Mclaneinc said:

Ste, what about Hoxs64?

I have / use an Ultimate ++ but have it set just for my onboard SID and not (iirc) for the emulated stereo versions...It sounds like the Ultimate replaces all the sids and is emulated only from what you said..?

Anyway, love it to bits..Cheers..

I found Hoxs64 a bit variable, particularly with audio - video was good (although the default palette is pretty off) - I used it for a year or so, but now have returned to VICE as a more accurate sound wise.

Not tired the latest (Nov '19) version of Hoxs - is it worth a look, does it do anything better than Vice?

sTeVE

P.S. I have finally given up with Atari800 and now use Altirra for A8 emulation, despite it liking to drop out of full screen mode occasionally ?

I'm quite happy with both WinVice (although the SDL version tends to go bonkers sound wise when shutting it down sometimes) and Hoxs64 but its a mixed thing, hoxs only supports a newer SID, it also still has cartridge issues with certain carts but I find it graphically a little more like my real breadbin, some of the raster stuff works a little better on it but with Vice you have so such flexibility with emulation and emulated peripherals.

I find myself using the Breadbin with the Ultimate 1541++ more than the emulators though..But like the emulator cleaner display, composite colour bleed isn't nice..

Good choice with Altirra although there's nothing at all wrong with A800, I just find Altirra so much more friendly and bristling with fantastic features. i seem to remember Phaeron explaining about the FS drop out, can't remember what he said though.

I am a real fan of the FIFJr homebrew on the Sega Genesis.  I just have this version a try on the VICE emulator.  Very nice job indeed.  Too bad that I don't own a real C64 anymore because I'd like to see it running on actual hardware.  I can tell that it was designed for PAL, though, as it ran a little fast when I had VICE set for NTSC.  

• 2 years later...