IGNORED

Super Mario Maker 2 Course Sharing Thread

Downland1983

Prior to the new (final) update to Super Mario Maker 2 on Nintendo Switch, I had logged 335+ hours in the game between Story Mode, playing other users courses, and creating 24 courses of my own.  This thread is for the purpose of sharing those created courses, and it will also be open to anyone who wishes to share their own creations as well.  I will post all of my creations to date in this opening post complete with Course Name, Course ID, Description, and Play Data.  I will add screenshots for courses is follow posts.  Thanks to the update, I'm currently working on my own "World" now.  Since the 24 courses I've created so far of different themes, game styles, and recreations, I'm planning on creating all new levels for my "World" so that I can keep it to a cohesive game type and theme that will mesh together.  I created a 1-1 and 1-2 for the first level of the world yesterday, but have not uploaded them yet.  I think I'll craft the world completely and then upload each level once the world itself is ready to be uploaded.  So, I'll do the same here and not post those newly created courses until I can post the World as a finished product.  As for the Courses that are not going to be part of my "World" project, I will list them now and attempt to categorize them according to theme.  I think I'll give each category it's own post in an attempt to make my list easier to sort through if that makes sense.

Mario Plays Series (compilation of retro recreations):

Mario Plays NES Games

Course ID:  TW6-PMX-VQF

Description:  As Mario, go home to your living room for an afternoon of playing three NES classic games on your NES.  Turn the NES on and hop inside your TV to play a level of "Mario Bros.", "Donkey Kong Jr.", and "Super Mario Bros."

Played By: 678

Clears: 397

Attempts: 1388

Clear Rate:  28.60%

World Record:  0:34.733

Uploaded:  12/2/2019

Mario Plays NES Games Too

Course ID:  6FL-GB3-9MF

Description:  Mario returns home for another afternoon of playing classic NES games in his living room.  This time, play levels from "Donkey Kong", "Popeye", and "Zelda II:  The Adventure of Link".

Played By:  92

Clears:  39

Attempts:  311

Clear Rate:  12.54%

World Record: 1:14.772

Uploaded:  12/19/2019

• Like 1

Deluxe Versions of Previously Uploaded Courses:

Kung Fu Master Returns

Course ID: 4FK-CH8-8F

Description: My 20th course creation.  It's been getting a lot of plays and likes since uploading it.  It's a remaster of my earlier Kung Fu Returns course.  I always felt Kung Fu Returns was a bit drab looking, each level was overly stretched out to fit maximum horizontal course length, and floors 1-4 were so tightly compact to fit together in the sub-world that multiple floors could be seen on screen simultaneously.  This had the added unintended consequence of enemies being able to interact with floors they were not meant to (Sledge Bro being able to fling hammers down from Floor 2 into Floor 1, and also being able to stun Mario without being on the same floor as him; the Bloopers from Floor 4 being able to descend down into Floor 3).  I cleaned up with this version by using the more colorful desert background and semisolids.  Also, I caught the horizontal length in half to fit Floors 1 & 2 vertically, and Floors 3 & 4 vertically side by side instead of all 4 squashed together vertically.  This makes each floor less of a drag, keeps only 1 floor on screen at a time, and prevents enemies from interacting with other floors.  I'm very pleased with how this remaster turned out.

Played By: 99

Clears: 9

Attempts: 370

Clear Rate: 2.43%

World Record: 1:22.385

Uploaded: 3/8/2020

Power Punch-Out!! 3 Deluxe

Course ID: JP0-48N-DXG

Description: This is a remastered/deluxe version of my earlier "Power Punch-Out!! 3" course which was designed as a sequel in the Punch-Out!! franchise with a tongue in cheek reference to "Power Punch II" (not actually the sequel to the original "Punch-Out!!").  This deluxe version features the addition of a title screen, 3 Complete Circuits of opponents (Minor, Major, & World - the original course only featured Minor & Major), 2 checkpoints not offered in the original course (after completion of the Minor and Major Circuits), cut scene improvements, and a "Super Uppercut" (Star Power-Up) for new opponents who could not otherwise be "punched" (stomped on).

Played By: 26

Clears: 7

Attempts: 101

Clear Rate: 6.93%

World Record: 1:00.289

Uploaded: 3/14/2020

Recreations of Existing Games (both Retro and Modern):

Mario Maker Kart Quadruple Dash

Course ID:  RQ8-RFQ-WLF

Description:  A Mario Kart inspired level designed with multiplayer mode in mind.  There are 4 available "karts" (Koopa cars) and the ability to activate an obstacle in your opponent's paths along the track.

Played By: 600

Clears: 476

Attempts: 744

Clear Rate:  63.97%

World Record:  0:19.416

Uploaded:  11/29/2019

Power Punch-Out!! 3

Course ID: QB6-RVR-Q0H

Description:  Designed as a sequel in the Punch-Out!! franchise with a tongue in cheek reference to "Power Punch II" which was not actually the sequel to the original "Punch-Out!!".  Fight your way through 2 Circuits of opponents, winning 2 championship matches along the way to earn the ultimate title fight against King Koopa himself.  (**Deluxe Version exists**)

Played By:  95

Clears:  33

Attempts:  281

Clear Rate:  11.74%

World Record:  0:31.012

Uploaded:  10/28/2019

Kung Fu Returns

Course ID:  64W-16R-JBG

Description:  Completely inspired by "Kung Fu" on the NES.  Once again Thomas (Mario) must fight his way through 4 levels of minions with a mini-boss at the end of each level.  At the end of the 5th floor, battle Mr. X (Bowser Jr.) to save your beloved Silvia.  (**Deluxe Version exists**)

Played By:  66

Clears:  19

Attempts:  188

Clear Rate:  10.10%

World Record:  1:53.895

Uploaded:  9/30/2019

Pac-Man TM Arcade NES

Course ID:  PRH-X4Q-1XF

Description:  Recreation of the arcade classic Pac-Man.  I originally created this same level on the original Super Mario Maker for WiiU using the Pac-Man amiibo, which gave it a more "Pac-Man" feel.  For this version, I also crafted a new flagpole screen.

Played By:  46

Clears:  14

Attempts:  74

Clear Rate:  18.91%

World Record:  2:09.449

Uploaded:  11/15/2019

Elevator Action Returns Again

Course ID:  1QR-XRM-CBG

Description:  An homage to the arcade classic "Elevator Action".  Enter the first building from it's rooftop and use the elevators to descend downward to the ground floor collecting the secret file (key) along the way.  Exiting the door on the ground floor of each building will start you at the top level of the next building.  Gain access to the heavily fortified final building (there is more than one route) to escape to the flagpole.

Played By:  60

Clears:  13

Attempts:  144

Clear Rate:  9.02%

World Record:  2:32.785

Uploaded:  9/26/2019

Downland (TRS-80 CoCo2)

Course ID:  YQD-723-X5G

Description:  This is a recreation of the game "Downland" that was published for the TRS-80 Color Computer in 1983.  I stretched each chamber to fill 2 vertical screens, so that Mario's jump mechanic wouldn't make the game too easy.

Played By:  46

Clears:  2

Attempts:  102

Clear Rate:  1.96%

World Record:  3:50.978

Uploaded:  1/20/2020

Hotel Mario WoodDoor-Hysteria

Level Code:  PP4-MDM-V8G

Description:  Inspired by the infamous Mario licensed game on the failed Phillips CDi console, "Hotel Mario".  This level is themed after the level, "Morton's WoodDoor-Hysteria Manor".

Played By:  37

Clears:  18

Attempts:  157

Clear Rate:  11.46%

World Record:  0:30.283

Uploaded:  12/15/2019

Grand Theft Auto:  Koopa City

Level Code:  GCH-VQ4-14G

Description:  What a crossover between Grand Theft Auto and Super Mario Bros might look like.  Enter stores and apartment buildings, steal cars, run down the denizens of Koopa City on the street, etc.  I set a coin collecting requirement that can be reached by scouring the individual buildings of the city, or completing any one of 3 optional side missions (Defeat the Hammer Bros. Gang inside the Warehouse, Rob the Bank Vault, or Execute the Stunt Jump).  There is an optional bonus mission at the end of the level as well (launch a car through the Window of Bowser's office).

Played By:  31

Attempts:  108

Clear Rate:  1.85%

World Record:  3:20.034

Uploaded:  1/5/2020

TMNT NES Dam Level Redux

Level Code:  0ML-J89-QRF

Description:  Recreation of the infamous "Dam Level" from the "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" game on NES.  I know of at least one other recreation of this level in Super Mario Maker 2, but mine is a re-upload of the same level I had crafted on the original Super Mario Maker for WiiU with slight changes.  In the WiiU version, I used the Yoshi amiibo to portray the Turtles.

Played By:  22

Clears:  1

Attempts:  70

Clear Rate:  1.42%

World Record:  2:29.826

Uploaded:  10/23/2019

Smurf Rescue (Coleco Vision)

Course ID: PY3-JQV-7DG

Description:  My recreation of Smurf: Rescue in Gargamel's Castle which was ported to a number of systems in the early 80's, but I played it on my Coleco Vision.  Smurfette has been kidnapped by Gargamel.  Your Smurf must leave Smurf Village and travel through a forest and cave to reach Gargamel's Castle to rescue her.  I recreated the game at one of it's higher levels involving more difficult jumps, bats, and spiders.

Played By: 19

Clears: 2

Attempts: 57

Clear Rate: 3.50%

World Record: 1:08.898

Uploaded: 3/26/2020

1940:  The Blitz

Level Code:  C97-BG9-F4G

Description:  Designed as a prequel to Capcom's 19XX series (1942, 1943, etc).  Board your fighter (copter) and destroy attacking enemy jets and ships leading to a super showdown against the Axis Superbomber Graf Frederick.

Played By:  16

Clears:  3

Attempts:  37

Clear Rate:  8.10%

World Record:  2:48.009

Uploaded:  1/25/2020

Mega Man Returns

Course ID: TT2-WHN-PVF

Description: Another entry in my "Returns" series.  Play as Mega Man and assimilate the powers of 4 out of control Robot Masters before the ultimate confrontation with Dr. Wily.  In classic Mega Man style, you can battle the Robot Masters in any order you choose.

Played By: 12

Clears: 1

Attempts: 50

Clear Rate: 2.00%

World Record: 5:04.144

Uploaded: 3/30/2020

Dragon Fire Returns

Course ID: 5CG-BTY-R1H

Description:  The King's Treasure has been stolen by an Evil Dragon.  It is up to the daring Prince to reclaim it.  Enter 3 strongholds protected by the Dragon and his Hatchlings.  This is the next game in my "Returns Series" comprising of recreations of 80's classics.  "Dragon Fire" was ported to many systems in the 80's, but I played it on my TRS-80 Color Computer 2.  So, this would also be the 2nd of my TRS-80 CoCo2 recreations (the first being "Downland").

Played By: 5

Clears: 0

Attempts: 14

Clear Rate: 0.00%

World Record: 0:00.00

Uploaded: 3/22/2020

Super Mario Bros 2 (USA) Returns

Course ID: 06R-W00-5GG

Description: Another entry in my "Returns" series. This is my first use of the "Final Update" tools.  A recreation of Super Mario Maker 2, squeezed as best I could to fit the map space while still maintain the spirit of the sequel to Super Mario Bros that got released in the US.  

Played By: 2

Clears: 1

Attempts: 3

Clear Rate: 33.33%

World Record: 0:48.878

Uploaded: 4/24/2020

Original Concepts:

Infiltration of Hangar 66

Course ID:  W8N-PML-MFG

Description:  This one is a completely original level.  Mario must gain access to an enemy airbase, infiltrate Hangar 66, steal a copter and use it to board Bowser's Airship high above.  Once aboard, activate explosives to defeat Bowser and destroy the airship.

Played By:  66

Clears:  6

Attempts:  283

Clear Rate:  2.12%

World Record: 0:42.304

Uploaded:  11/3/2019

Defend Yoshi's Island (50s)

Level Code:  RYD-HPW-CNF

Description:  Bowser has sent a whole army of Goombas to invade and conquer Yoshi's Island.  There is a huge cliff blocking the way to the bay that leads to Yoshi's Island, but the Goombas have stacked into a massive Goomba Tower to overcome this obstacle.  Use the Goomba Tower to ascend the cliff and defeat the remaining Goombas either by Thwomping them or eliminating the drawbridge from out from under them.  Then, make your way across Yoshi's Island to the end of the level.  This is designed as a speed run, so spending time exploring Yoshi's Island is completely optional.

Played By:  42

Clears:  18

Attempts:  189

Clear Rate:  9.52%

World Record:  0:13.278

Uploaded:  1/25/2020

Revenge of the Haunted Cemetary

Course ID:  VQT-0TN-CBG

Description:  I uploaded this in the spirit of Halloween on Halloween night 2020.  This was actually a recreation of "The Haunted Cemetary" I had created on the original Super Mario Maker for WiiU.  In the WiiU level, I used the Mr. Game & Watch amiibo as the main character.

Played By:  32

Clears:  3

Attempts:  110

Clear Rate:  2.72%

World Record:  0:29.899

Uploaded:  10/31/2019

GI*Joe:  Escape from The Pit

Level Code:  RXP-VBP-63G

Description:  After the title screen, you start off at the lowest level of GI*Joe's secret underground base, The Pit.  Suddenly, Cobra Troops bore their way in through the walls.  Fight your way up to the surface, emerging through the Motor Pool above.  Fight your way through the invading Cobras on the surface, making sure to blow up the bridge during your daring escape.

Played By:  23

Clears:  5

Attempts:  110

Clear Rate:  4.54%

World Record:  2:12.699

Uploaded:  12/9/2019

Rise of Skywalker

Course ID:  GCT-HQ4-7FG

Description:  My Happy New Year level upload.  No connection whatsoever to the latest Star Wars film.  The name is derived from having to "Skywalk" across the earthquake ravaged Toadstool Bridge to reach the end of the level.  There are 2 possible routes.  "Skywalking" the still standing remnants of the bridge, or traversing the broken pieces at water level.

Played By:  33

Clears:  7

Attempts:  190

Clear Rate:  3.68%

World Record:  0:21.890

Uploaded:  1/1/2020

Gargantuas:  War 4 Infant Island

Course ID:  D2H-X5G-0WF

Description:  My homage to Giant Monster (Kaiju) battles.  As one of the Gargantuan Brothers (Mario = Sanda, Luigi = Gaira), work your way through a destructible environment village to face Gabara on the bridge.  Break the bridge to create a hole large enough for Gabara to fall into to defeat him.

Played By:  22

Clears:  5

Attempts:  98

Clear Rate:  5.10%

World Record:  0:33.291

Uploaded:  1/7/2020

The Great Hall of Bowser

Course ID:  8KV-KGW-JPG

Description:  My first ever crafting of a Bowser's castle level.  Enter Bowser's castle executing treacherous jumps to advance.  Work your way through "The Great Hall of Bowser" to reach a showdown with Boom Boom.  Emerge victorious to steal the key you will need to enter Bowser's treasure room.  Then, continue through the castle to ultimately battle King Koopa himself.  I put extra effort into the background to make Bowser's castle as ornate and ostentatious as possible.

Played By:  16

Attempts:  475

Clear Rate:  0.42%

World Record:  4:08.051

Uploaded:  2/17/2020

15 hours ago, Punisher5.0 said:

I played 4-5 of them and had a good time. The Punch out one was very clever!

Awesome.  Thanks for checking them out.  I'm glad you enjoyed them!  The Power Punch-Out 3!! course I originally made in October got a lot of plays and favorable recreations.  So, I went and made the Deluxe version in March to add checkpoints and match the actual number of circuits and opponents from NES Punch-Out!!

19 hours ago, Punisher5.0 said:

The Great Hall of Bowser is brutal! Ive only gotten past the second turtle twice. Id love to see Ryukar play it.

Me too!  I love watching Ryukar's SMM & SMM2 videos!  There is some "hidden cheese" to be had in that sub-world room by the way.  Just after you drop down the vine, there is a small ledge you can walk off onto.  There is a hidden block on the ledge with a P-Switch that turns a line of coins across the lava into a brick path.  You've still got to be quick to make it all the way across before the lava rises over the blocks or the P-Switch timer expires, but it is the easier of the 2 routes.

• Like 1

Deluxe Versions of Previously Uploaded Courses:

Super Mario Bros. 2 (USA) Deluxe

Course ID: HFH-7D3-DWF

Description: This was my fastest creation of a "Deluxe" update to one of my previous levels. But, I had rushed my original SMB2 USA level in order to start crafting my "World" game, so there were a lot of ideas that had been left out. This Deluxe version now incorporates checkpoints, entry points into "Sub-Space" for collecting coins and SMB2 Mushroom Power-ups, Dry Bones at all the "vegetable" spots, Goombas as Red Shyguys and Goombrats as Pink Shyguys, the complete vine climb to the Birdo Boss Battle, and an upgraded Boss Battle with pipes spawning Dry Bones to throw at Birdo (Wendy) and SMB2 Mushroom Power-ups to maintain the ability to pick-up and throw the projectiles for a more authentic Birdo Boss Battle.  I also changed the background setting to Forest in this version.  I had originally contemplated using the Forest setting while crafting the course the first time, but I decided against it because I didn't want to lose the Blue Sky background.  However, the Forest setting has a semi-solid platform that is perfect for Super Mario Bros. 2 (USA), which ultimately led to my reinstating it for this Deluxe course.

Played By: 0

Clears: 0

Attempts: 0

Clear Rate: 0.00%

World Record: 0:00.000

Uploaded: 4/29/2020

1 hour ago, Downland1983 said:

Me too!  I love watching Ryukar's SMM & SMM2 videos!  There is some "hidden cheese" to be had in that sub-world room by the way.  Just after you drop down the vine, there is a small ledge you can walk off onto.  There is a hidden block on the ledge with a P-Switch that turns a line of coins across the lava into a brick path.  You've still got to be quick to make it all the way across before the lava rises over the blocks or the P-Switch timer expires, but it is the easier of the 2 routes.

Yeah Ryukar is great. Ive watched most of his MM videos. I sometimes watch POOBear too. Thanks for the tip on that level. I saw the coins but didnt know what was going on with them.

• Like 1

GI*Joe:  Escape from The Pit
Level Code:  RXP-VBP-63G
Description:  After the title screen, you start off at the lowest level of GI*Joe's secret underground base, The Pit.  Suddenly, Cobra Troops bore their way in through the walls.  Fight your way up to the surface, emerging through the Motor Pool above.  Fight your way through the invading Cobras on the surface, making sure to blow up the bridge during your daring escape.

Screenshots:

GI Joe Escape from the Pit Title ScreenCobra troops have entered the baseThe Pit Level 3 Training AreaThe Pit Level 1 Main Garage AreaCobra HISS Tank bearing down on the Motor PoolCobra Paratroopers being dropped from Cobra Rattler over the bridge demolition

11 hours ago, Punisher5.0 said:

Lots of cheese in that one!

I used the diagram of The Pit from the first issue of the GI Joe Marvel comic series for the layout theme of each level. 

GI Joe The Pit schematic from Marvel Comics

There's a motorized lift in the diagram that connects Training Stage Area (Level 3) to the Main Garage Area (Level 1), so I incorporated it into the course.  And, yeah, it's the easiest route to take since the Situation Analysis and Briefing Rooms of Level 2 are swarming with Cobra Troops and the lift allows you to bypass that entire Level.  I used the infilatration of The Pit from the movie "GI Joe:  The Rise of Cobra" as the inspiration for the Skewers breaking through the walls along both sides of the course.  I placed them in a way to render most (but not all) of the Main Elevator shaft unusable.  It's supposed to immediately force you into the air ducts connecting the Level 5 Generator and Computer Bank Area to the Level 4 Living Quarters & Armory.  The Living Quarters has the first optional air duct route which skips the Armory and goes straight up into the Training Stage Area of Level 3.  The visible pipe on the left side of the stage is the "Alternate Escape Route" from the diagram, but I have rendered it completely unusable from the skewers "boaring" through it at multiple points.

Speaking of the skewers, I think the Mole Pods (Piloted Drills) in The Rise of Cobra may have been inspired by the Cobra Buzz Boar from Hasbro's GI Joe toy line.  The Buzz Boar appeared in both GI Joe games on NES ("GI Joe A Real American" Hero by Taxan & GI Joe: The Atlantis Factor by Capcom).

The Pit Invasion GI Joe The Rise of CobraCobra Buzz Boar by HasbroCobra Buzz Boar in GI Joe video game by TaxanCobra Buzz Boar in GI Joe: The Atlantis Factor by Capcom

Smurf Rescue (Coleco Vision)
Course ID: PY3-JQV-7DG
Description:  My recreation of Smurf: Rescue in Gargamel's Castle which was ported to a number of systems in the early 80's, but I played it on my Coleco Vision.  Smurfette has been kidnapped by Gargamel.  Your Smurf must leave Smurf Village and travel through a forest and cave to reach Gargamel's Castle to rescue her.  I recreated the game at one of it's higher levels involving more difficult jumps, bats, and spiders.

Coleco BIOS screenSmurf Rescue in Gargamel's Castle title screenSmurf VillageThe PlainsThe CaveApproaching Gargamel's CastleSpider dropping down inside Gargamel's CastleRescuing Smurfette

• Like 1

New course uploaded this weekend. I'll file it under "Recreations of Existing Games", but it's a recreation with a twist.

Recreations of Existing Games (both Retro and Modern):

Super Mario Bros. (Glitched!)

Course ID: KV3-682-72G

Description:  Imagine pulling out a classic cartridge of the original Super Mario Bros. and popping it into your NES for some good old retro platforming nostalgia.  But, no matter how many times you pull the cart in and out of the system and blow into it, you can't seem to get it to work properly.  Disaster has struck as garbage pixels infest your screen.  The Glitch Gremlin has arrived, and he has "sh*t all over your game" with his glitches.  Still, you are determined to power through and enjoy your favorite game in spite of the Glitch Gremlins efforts.

Played By: 11

Clears: 5

Attempts: 23

Clear Rate: 21.73%

World Record: 0:34.499

Uploaded: 5/2/2020

Dragon Fire Returns
Course ID: 5CG-BTY-R1H
Description:  The King's Treasure has been stolen by an Evil Dragon.  It is up to the daring Prince to reclaim it.  Enter 3 strongholds protected by the Dragon and his Hatchlings.  "Dragon Fire" was ported to many systems in the 80's, but I played it on my TRS-80 Color Computer 2.  The difficulty level increases with each drawbridge (additional hazard) and stronghold (more difficult "treasure" placement).  The original Dragonfire increased the difficulty after ever 2 completions of a drawbridge and stronghold, but I cut that in half due to space limitations.

Screenshots:

Dragon Fire Title ScreenFirst Drawbridge - 1 HazardFirst Dragon Treasure VaultSecond Drawbridge - 2 HazardsFinal Drawbridge - 3 HazardsFinal Dragon Treasure Vault

Edited by Downland1983
resized the screenshots
  • Like 1

Downland (TRS-80 CoCo2)

Description:  This is a recreation of the game "Downland" that was published for the TRS-80 Color Computer in 1983.  I stretched each chamber to fill 2 vertical screens, so that Mario's jump mechanic wouldn't make the game too easy.

Doing something a little different with today's screenshots.  Since I recreated all 10 Chambers from the original Downland, I have edited the screenshots into a single "Map" with the connection points of all chambers lined up along with a vintage map found on CoCopedia (CoCopedia Map of Downland) for comparison.  Individual screenshots (edited screenshots of top and bottom vertical screens) of each chamber can be found in my Album or the post I had created in the Tandy Computer forum before I had created this thread.

Screenshots:

Downland Complete Map372080375_DownlandMapfromCoCopedia.thumb.jpg.8e315cd8ee3f90894c24ca2e32614d33.jpg

On 5/6/2020 at 12:50 PM, Downland1983 said:

Downland (TRS-80 CoCo2)

Doing something a little different with today's screenshots.  Since I recreated all 10 Chambers from the original Downland, I have edited the screenshots into a single "Map" with the connection points of all chambers lined up along with a vintage map found on CoCopedia (CoCopedia Map of Downland) for comparison.  Individual screenshots (edited screenshots of top and bottom vertical screens) of each chamber can be found in my Album or the post I had created in the Tandy Computer forum before I had created this thread.

Screenshots:

Downland Complete Map

Miss typed the Course ID for Downland (TRS-80 CoCo2) on both the screenshots post and the main post for recreations.

Correct Course ID is:  YDQ-723-X5G

• Thanks 1