IGNORED

Super Mario Maker 2 Course Sharing Thread

Downland1983

• 3 weeks later...

I have recently been enjoying Nintendo's new battle royale game, Super Mario Bros 35.  In addition to playing it, I've been watching videos of it from Ryukhar and TheDragonFeeney.  So, I was inspired to attempt to recreate the manic multiplayer action in Super Mario Maker 2 as a tribute.  I worked on the course over the weekend and got it uploaded late Saturday night.

Recreations of Existing Games (both Retro and Modern):

Super Mario Bros. 35

Course ID: YM0-RG0-S1H

Description:  Battle through enemy waves in familiar levels from the original Super Mario Bros in a recreation of Super Mario Bros 35.  4 players can race to the flagpole first on their own screens of 1-1 or 1-2 which has been spammed with enemies from later stages by unknown and unseen additional opponents.  Powerups from the coin Roulette are scattered about to help you survive as the clock winds down against you.

Played By: 6

Clears: 4

Attempts: 17

Clear Rate: 23.52%

World Record: 0:34.599 (HomieNick!)

Uploaded: 10/3/2020

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/5/2020 at 12:39 PM, Downland1983 said:

I was inspired to try and recreate the action of Data East's 1982 classic "Bump n' Jump", which was I title I most enjoyed playing on my ColecoVision, but which had been ported to numerous other systems including the NES as well.  I had to use the Super Mario 3D World theme for the course in order have a Koopa Car to drive.  Much like the original game, you can bump the other Koopa Cars on the road and land on them to destroy (disable) them.  I recreated a number or jumping hazards as well, and utilized the lightbulb sound effect at set intervals right before each jump to let you know the jumps were coming just like in the original game.  I also used the sub world and main world so that I could have two different distinct seasonal themes, just like the season would change after completing a stage in the original.  I also created a Data East/Bump n' Jump title card at the start of the course before you begin in the winter themed sub-world.  I think the finished course is both fun and true to the classic game.

Bump n' Jump

Course ID: 1W1-45C-JDG

Description:  Bump into other cars, jump to clear hazards, and vault over opponents or land on them in this homage to Data East's classic from 1982.

Played By: 16

Clears: 7

Attempts: 69

Clear Rate: 10.14%

World Record: 0:41.949 (MrHyde86)

Uploaded: 10/31/2020

I was inspired to try and recreate the action of Data East's 1982 classic "Bump n' Jump", which was I title I most enjoyed playing on my ColecoVision, but which had been ported to numerous other systems including the NES as well.  I had to use the Super Mario 3D World theme for the course in order have a Koopa Car to drive.  Much like the original game, you can bump the other Koopa Cars on the road and land on them to destroy (disable) them.  I recreated a number or jumping hazards as well, and utilized the lightbulb sound effect at set intervals right before each jump to let you know the jumps were coming just like in the original game.  I also used the sub world and main world so that I could have two different distinct seasonal themes, just like the season would change after completing a stage in the original.  I also created a Data East/Bump n' Jump title card at the start of the course before you begin in the winter themed sub-world.  I think the finished course is both fun and true to the classic game.

Bump n' Jump

Course ID: 1W1-45C-JDG

Description:  Bump into other cars, jump to clear hazards, and vault over opponents or land on them in this homage to Data East's classic from 1982.

Played By: 16

Attempts: 69

Clear Rate: 10.14%

World Record: 0:41.949 (MrHyde86)

After I finished working on and uploading "Bump n' Jump", I also decided to squeeze in another reupload of my Haunted Cemetery course from the original Super Mario Maker on Wii U, just like I had one on Halloween last year.  This version features some visual improvements over the original.  The mausoleums now have more aesthetically pleasing exteriors, and fully designed sub-world interiors.  A greater variety of boo ghosts enemies (boo buddies and boo stretches) have been incorporated into the course as well.

Deluxe Versions of Previously Uploaded Courses:

Night of the Haunted Cemetery

Course ID: M28-GSB-RHG

Description:  Survive a night in the Haunted Cemetery, but beware the Mausoleums!  Happy Halloween 2020!  This is a deluxe version of sorts of the "Revenge of the Haunted Cemetery" course that I uploaded on Halloween night 2019 (which itself was a reupload of the original Haunted Cemetery course that I had created on Super Mario Maker for Wii U years prior).  This deluxe version features both mausoleum interiors recreated as sub-worlds, so that you can no longer see through the buildings from the outside.  

Played By: 7

Clears: 3

Attempts: 30

Clear Rate: 10.00%

World Record: 1:27.628

• 2 weeks later...

New course uploaded over this past weekend.  I had played another creator's course recently called "Mouse Trap", and while it had nothing to do with it, the title reminded me of the classic game I used to play frequently on ColecoVision in my childhood.  "Mouse Trap" was a popular Pac-Man clone back in the day, so I decided to try and recreate it in Super Mario Maker 2.  I used the underwater theme and frog suit again to speed up navigation of the maze.  I used Chain Chomps in place of the enemy cats, since they seemed the most adept at navigating the underwater maze as an enemy that could kill Mario in 1 hit, while also adhering to the physics of the walls and doors.  I used Red Blocks and On/Off switches to simulate the opening and closing of the original games Red, Blue, & Yellow Doors.  It would have been nice to have different kind of "doors", but I had to avoid using the P Switch, because it would have turned all of the coins to bricks.  I used Red Coins in place of the "Bones", although these serve only a visual connection to the classic version, since I spread ? Blocks around the maze with Invincibility Stars to be used as your mouse's transformation into a dog.  But, you do need all the Red Coins to create a Key that will access the Flagpole room at the end of the course, and the Flagpole is only accessible if you have munched all "92" bits of cheese (Coins) in the maze.

Mouse Trap (ColecoVision)

Description:  Weave through a maze of doors & corridors as a mouse munching bits of cheese.  Open and shut doors to escape pursuing cats (Chain Chomps).  Collect bones (Red Coins) and turn your mouse into a cat-biting dog (using Star Power Ups). 

Played By: 11

Attempts: 14

Clear Rate: 50.00%

World Record: 2:22.684 (Luigi05)

Uploaded: 11/8/2020

• Like 1

New course uploaded this weekend.  For a long time, my NES games compilation "Mario Plays NES Games" was by far my most played course in Super Mario Maker 2.  It held the top mark of all my courses in the most sizeable categories (Players, Likes, Attempts) almost immediately after being uploaded.  At it's peak, on one magical weekend, it was once played by 500 players in a single day (532 players on 12/7/2019), and Liked by 100 of them.  A feat that has never been matched by any of my other courses.  Over time though, another of my courses that I had actually worked on and uploaded around the same time garnered its own fair share of attention.  Mario Maker Kart Quadruple Dash was uploaded (11/29/2019) 4 days before Mario Plays NES Games (12/2/2019), but did not hit its own stride until a month later, reaching its own single day peak of over 200 players in a single day (229 players on 1/1/2020) and Liked by 29 of them.  While its peak may have been 300 players and 71 Likes lower than Mario Plays NES Games had achieved on its best day, Mario Maker Kart Quadruple Dash became an evergreen course that continued to add players and Likes in chunks over time.  I thought that this may have been because the course was specifically designed with multiplayer in mind, but in actuality, it has only been played 4 times in Multiplayer Versus mode, in contrast to Mario Plays NES Games having been played 28 times.  However, Mario Maker Kart Quadruple Dash is a much shorter and easier course boasting a higher clearer rate.  It has also been getting a boost recently by appearing earlier in my Super World which is made of all of my retro and modern reimagining of games.  For all of these reasons, Mario Maker Kart Quadruple Dash eventually surpassed 700 players and went to eclipse Mario Plays NES Games as my most played course of all time.

In commemoration of this event, I decided to make a "Greatest Hits" course combining both of my most played and liked courses into a single course called "Greatest Hits:  The 700 Series".  I waited a little bit until Mario Maker Kart Quadruple Dash also reached the 100 Like milestone before crafting and uploading the celebratory course.  Rather than just do a "copy/paste" of the originals, I gave both courses a remastered "facelift" with Mario Maker Kart Quadruple Dash being completely redesigned.  In addition to the theme of Mario Plays NES Games receiving a 3D upgrade, the Donkey Kong Jr first screen game was replaced with Donkey Kong Jr's 2nd screen for reasons detailed below.

Greatest Hits:  The 700 Series

Description:  Celebrating 2 Courses that achieved the milestone of having been played by over 700 different people.  Greatest Hits:  The 700 Series combines Mario Plays NES Games with Mario Maker Kart Quadruple Dash into a single course.  Mario Plays NES Games maintains the core of Mario going home to play a level from "Mario Bros.", "Donkey Kong Jr.", and "Super Mario Bros.".  But, the theme has been upgraded from 8 bit to 3D in order to combine with the Super Mario 3D World theme of Mario Maker Kart Quadruple Dash.  In addition to this upgrade, the first screen level of Donkey Kong Jr. has been swapped out for a rendition of the 2nd screen with the spring and moving platforms.  This was mainly due to the unavailability of vines in the 3D World theme, which the first screen of Donkey Kong Jr heavily utilizes.  Most of the vines in this rendition of screen 2 have been represented by Twisters.  After finishing the three levels of Mario Plays NES Games, the player is transported to the back of Mario's house to obtain a Koopa Car and then enter the final level, Mario Maker Kart Quadruple Dash.  This version has been completely reinvented, but stays true to the spirit of the original and can still be played in multiplayer.

Clears: 1

Attempts: 21

Clear Rate: 4.76%

World Record: 2:57.866 (mikagic)

Uploaded: 11/15/2020

6 hours ago, Downland1983 said:

New course uploaded this weekend.  For a long time, my NES games compilation "Mario Plays NES Games" was by far my most played course in Super Mario Maker 2.  It held the top mark of all my courses in the most sizeable categories (Players, Likes, Attempts) almost immediately after being uploaded.  At it's peak, on one magical weekend, it was once played by 500 players in a single day (532 players on 12/7/2019), and Liked by 100 of them.  A feat that has never been matched by any of my other courses.  Over time though, another of my courses that I had actually worked on and uploaded around the same time garnered its own fair share of attention.  Mario Maker Kart Quadruple Dash was uploaded (11/29/2019) 4 days before Mario Plays NES Games (12/2/2019), but did not hit its own stride until a month later, reaching its own single day peak of over 200 players in a single day (229 players on 1/1/2020) and Liked by 29 of them.  While its peak may have been 300 players and 71 Likes lower than Mario Plays NES Games had achieved on its best day, Mario Maker Kart Quadruple Dash became an evergreen course that continued to add players and Likes in chunks over time.  I thought that this may have been because the course was specifically designed with multiplayer in mind, but in actuality, it has only been played 4 times in Multiplayer Versus mode, in contrast to Mario Plays NES Games having been played 28 times.  However, Mario Maker Kart Quadruple Dash is a much shorter and easier course boasting a higher clearer rate.  It has also been getting a boost recently by appearing earlier in my Super World which is made of all of my retro and modern reimagining of games.  For all of these reasons, Mario Maker Kart Quadruple Dash eventually surpassed 700 players and went to eclipse Mario Plays NES Games as my most played course of all time.

In commemoration of this event, I decided to make a "Greatest Hits" course combining both of my most played and liked courses into a single course called "Greatest Hits:  The 700 Series".  I waited a little bit until Mario Maker Kart Quadruple Dash also reached the 100 Like milestone before crafting and uploading the celebratory course.  Rather than just do a "copy/paste" of the originals, I gave both courses a remastered "facelift" with Mario Maker Kart Quadruple Dash being completely redesigned.  In addition to the theme of Mario Plays NES Games receiving a 3D upgrade, the Donkey Kong Jr first screen game was replaced with Donkey Kong Jr's 2nd screen for reasons detailed below.

Description:  Celebrating 2 Courses that achieved the milestone of having been played by over 700 different people.  Greatest Hits:  The 700 Series combines Mario Plays NES Games with Mario Maker Kart Quadruple Dash into a single course.  Mario Plays NES Games maintains the core of Mario going home to play a level from "Mario Bros.", "Donkey Kong Jr.", and "Super Mario Bros.".  But, the theme has been upgraded from 8 bit to 3D in order to combine with the Super Mario 3D World theme of Mario Maker Kart Quadruple Dash.  In addition to this upgrade, the first screen level of Donkey Kong Jr. has been swapped out for a rendition of the 2nd screen with the spring and moving platforms.  This was mainly due to the unavailability of vines in the 3D World theme, which the first screen of Donkey Kong Jr heavily utilizes.  Most of the vines in this rendition of screen 2 have been represented by Twisters.  After finishing the three levels of Mario Plays NES Games, the player is transported to the back of Mario's house to obtain a Koopa Car and then enter the final level, Mario Maker Kart Quadruple Dash.  This version has been completely reinvented, but stays true to the spirit of the original and can still be played in multiplayer.

Are you aware that the last few levels you posted have the same ID?

• Thanks 1

On 11/12/2020 at 9:15 AM, Downland1983 said:

Mouse Trap (ColecoVision)

Course ID: M28-GSB-RHG  RVY-PYV-GFG

Description:  Weave through a maze of doors & corridors as a mouse munching bits of cheese.  Open and shut doors to escape pursuing cats (Chain Chomps).  Collect bones (Red Coins) and turn your mouse into a cat-biting dog (using Star Power Ups). 

Played By: 11

Attempts: 14

World Record: 2:22.684 (Luigi05)

Uploaded: 11/8/2020

Correction to Course ID:  RVY-PYV-GFG

Edited by Downland1983
shortened quote

23 hours ago, Downland1983 said:

Course ID: M28-GSB-RHG  3VV-H4G-0RG

Correction to Course ID:  3VV-H4G-0RG

Much thanks to Punisher5.0 for pointing out my errors!

I crossed a couple of milestones as a creator over the weekend when I passed 800+ Likes and crossed over the 6000 Maker Points threshold for the first time.  I decided to craft a simple celebratory course to commemorate the occasion.  I wanted to do a semi-auto Mario course, but one that required some inputs from the player.  I immediately thought of a technique that I had seen recently in a course called "super high jump" from a creator named Bradilaya.  The technique requires the winter theme in Super Mario World and involves a Thwomp in a Clown Car  surrounded by one ways with a Bumper in front of it, and then a Spring inside a semisolid one space beyond, followed by a one space steep slope.  The Thwomp has to be set to move in the direction of the Bumper and the Spring, and the player holds down and B right in front of the spring.  When the Thwomp in the Cloud Car collides with the crouching Mario, the player is blasted off up the wintery slope to a height not previously possible by normal jumping.

Original Concepts:

Ground Control to Major Tom 6000

Course ID: X8R-9PX-0WG

Description:  Celebrating reaching the milestones of 800+ Likes and 6000+ Maker Points.  Course starts with Mario transported by vehicle to the launchpad of a rocket ship.  An elevator raises Mario up to the cockpit.  After entering the rocket, he is blasted off into the sky.  Once in the sky (sub world), Mario is bounced from cloud to cloud, traversing normally impossible to jump distances using a mechanic I saw in another creator's course.  I duplicated the technique all the way to the top of the sub world, and then Mario returns to a hero's welcome back at the launch site. 

Full credit to the creator Bradilay, who designed the course that I borrowed the technique from. 

To play it in Bradilay's course: super high jump, go to 99G-2XB-72H .

Played By: 3

Clears: 2

Attempts: 4

World Record: 0:39.483 (★KIMBUD★)

Uploaded: 11/22/2020

Edited by Downland1983
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Downland1983 said:

I crossed a couple of milestones as a creator over the weekend when I passed 800+ Likes and crossed over the 6000 Maker Points threshold for the first time.  I decided to craft a simple celebratory course to commemorate the occasion.  I wanted to do a semi-auto Mario course, but one that required some inputs from the player.  I immediately thought of a technique that I had seen recently in a course called "super high jump" from a creator named Bradilaya.  The technique requires the winter theme in Super Mario World and involves a Thwomp in a Clown Car  surrounded by one ways with a Bumper in front of it, and then a Spring inside a semisolid one space beyond, followed by a one space steep slope.  The Thwomp has to be set to move in the direction of the Bumper and the Spring, and the player holds down and B right in front of the spring.  When the Thwomp in the Cloud Car collides with the crouching Mario, the player is blasted off up the wintery slope to a height not previously possible by normal jumping.

Original Concepts:

Ground Control to Major Tom 6000

Course ID: X8R-9PX-0WG

Description:  Celebrating reaching the milestones of 800+ Likes and 6000+ Maker Points.  Course starts with Mario transported by vehicle to the launchpad of a rocket ship.  An elevator raises Mario up to the cockpit.  After entering the rocket, he is blasted off into the sky.  Once in the sky (sub world), Mario is bounced from cloud to cloud, traversing normally impossible to jump distances using a mechanic I saw in another creator's course.  I duplicated the technique all the way to the top of the sub world, and then Mario returns to a hero's welcome back at the launch site. 

Full credit to the creator Bradilay, who designed the course that I borrowed the technique from. 

To play it in Bradilay's course: super high jump, go to 99G-2XB-72H .

Played By: 3

Attempts: 4

World Record: 0:39.483 (★KIMBUD★)

Uploaded: 11/22/2020

Congrats on the milestones! Thanks for sharing your courses here

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Punisher5.0 said:

Congrats on the milestones! Thanks for sharing your courses here

Thanks, and I'm happy to do it!  Next milestone of 1,000 Likes seems to be on the near horizon.  I think one thing that helped was that I recently took all of my "video game related" courses and compiled them into a Super World.  I grouped them together in a way that seemed the most cohesive for each world (grouping the "Easy Mode" courses in one world, and the "Mario Plays" courses in another, etc).  I had intended when Super Worlds were announced to create a series of brand new courses under the same theme and upload them all at once.  I actually completed the first 2 courses and started on a third before putting the project on hiatus.  I eventually settled on filling a Super World with already finished courses in the meantime.  It's been a boon to getting some of older courses plays again.  For example, my Hotel Mario WoodDoor-Hysteria course had been played by 55 people between being uploaded last December until the beginning of this month.  That total has nearly tripled to 138 players in just the past few weeks.  I'm also pretty sure it's the reason Mario Maker Kart Quadruple Dash blew past Mario Plays NES Games in total players recently, since I placed it very early in the Super World due to it's brevity in length and ease of difficulty.

• 2 weeks later...

2 New Courses created and uploaded over the Thanksgiving holiday.  The first of the two courses is dedicated to Softlocks, and therefore is aptly named "Softlock City".  After seeing and experiencing Softlocks in other creators levels, both intentional and unintentional, I was mischievously inspired to create an entire course around softlocks.  It is worth noting that I purposely chose not to exploit the use of Hidden (Kaizo) Blocks to create any of my softlocks.  I wanted everything to be in plain sight, while still luring the player into the traps.  The 2nd course is my first ever attempt at creating a speedrun.  While thinking of what setting I wanted to use, I settled on one with a lava floor.  This idea led me to return to the ornate Bowser's castle them I utilitzed for my "The Great Hall of Bowser" course.  Reusing that theme while changing up the layout to accommodate a full speedrun, I appropriately named the course "The Great Hall of Bowser 30 sec SR".

Original Concepts:

Softlock City

Course ID: NVL-3B2-CMF

Description:  A course dedicated to Softlocks.  Mario arrives in Softlock City and must navigate a myriad of hazards and deadends, many of which have no escape once the wrong path has been ventured.  There are a total of 8 course designed softlocks.  All softlocks have a hazard available rather than a forced restart or timeout.  Welcome to Softlock City.  Population:  You.

Played By: 42

Attempts: 187

Clear Rate: 3.74%

First Clear:  BrownBird

World Record: 0:31.700 (★☆Mr.Fire™)

Uploaded: 11/26/2020

Original Concepts:

Great Hall of Bowser 30 sec SR

Course ID: BTD-R4N-T1H

Description:  My first attempt at a speedrun course.  Revisit "The Great Hall of Bowser" which was previously explored in another course.  The layout is not the same, but the aesthetic of the courses inspiration is present.  So, the speedrun can be considered to take place in another area of Bowser's fortress near "The Great Hall".  There are 30 seconds on the timer, and the timer itself is not that tight.  The course opens with 2 P-Switch jumps, followed by falling platforms, swinging claws, Koopa assisted jumps, a row of Thwomps, a parakoopa assisted jump, a spring, and finishes with a required POW Block hit, and some On/Off Switch platforms.

Played By: 32

Clears: 11

Attempts: 583

Clear Rate: 1.88%

First Clear:  TheThorik

World Record: 0:21.065 

Uploaded: 11/28/2020

New Course uploaded this weekend.  I've been dabbling with some course types that I have not previously done before, and this weekend I was inspired to do my first ever "puzzle/quiz" type course.  I've seen a lot of "choose which one is different" picture courses, and other similar ideas, but I wanted to put my own unique spin on the concept.  So, I came up with the idea of being able to play 21 Blackjack.  I had to modify the rules a bit in order to meet the restrictions on # of parts that could be used.  So, the player and dealer will only be able to draw 1 additional card after the first 2 cards have been dealt.  There is no option to "Split" or get "Insurance" either.  I was able to work enough with the parts restriction to create 4 separate hands followed by a bonus minigame.  I included 2 checkpoints, so that it wouldn't get tedious having to redo earlier hands if you bust on a later hand.  I created my own deck with 4 different suits (Note Block, ? Block, POW Block, & Cloud), and the numbers and face cards represented by various powerups and enemies.  For example, 2 Bob-ombs would represent the #2, 3 Goombas would represent the #3, etc., a 10 Coin represents the #10, I used Lemmy and Wendy for Jack and Queen face cards, and 1Ups for Aces.  All in all, I'm happy with how this one turned out.

Original Concepts:

21 Blackjack

Course ID: BWM-87S-TXG

Description:  Play 4 hands of 21 Blackjack against 4 different dealers.  The player is dealt 2 cards and can only see 1 of the dealer's cards face up.  The player can than choose to "Hold" (Stand) with his/her 2 cards.  Or, the player can "Hit" and receive an additional card.  The dealer will then show his 2nd card.  If the sum of the dealer's first 2 cards is lower than 17, the dealer will take an additional card (unless the player has already busted).  After winning 4 successful rounds, the player will be asked to make a wager on 2 final bonus cards.  The player must choose whether or not to place a "Max Bet" before seeing the cards.  Do you have what it takes to beat the 4 dealers and successfully take home the winnings?  Good luck!

Played By: 8

Attempts: 27

Clear Rate: 25.92%

First Clear:  edison()[]

World Record: 0:35.095

Uploaded: 12/7/2020

On 12/3/2020 at 1:27 PM, Downland1983 said:

Great Hall of Bowser 30 sec SR

Course ID: BTD-R4N-T1H

Description:  My first attempt at a speedrun course.  Revisit "The Great Hall of Bowser" which was previously explored in another course.  The layout is not the same, but the aesthetic of the courses inspiration is present.  So, the speedrun can be considered to take place in another area of Bowser's fortress near "The Great Hall".  There are 30 seconds on the timer, and the timer itself is not that tight.  The course opens with 2 P-Switch jumps, followed by falling platforms, swinging claws, Koopa assisted jumps, a row of Thwomps, a parakoopa assisted jump, a spring, and finishes with a required POW Block hit, and some On/Off Switch platforms.

Been playing this one for the last few days. I've only been able to get on the P bridge a handful of times. Im dedicated to finishing it though.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Punisher5.0 said:

Been playing this one for the last few days. I've only been able to get on the P bridge a handful of times. Im dedicated to finishing it though.

Thanks for giving it a go and sticking with it.  I put in a lot of different hazards and techniques to differentiate it from the average speedrun.  Still, I've been wowed by how many plays it has gotten since upload.  It's going to have more player attempts on it soon than any of my previous courses (probably already does since last time I checked).   I guess speedruns just have an addicting nature to them that makes players more willing to put in repeated attempts where they would normally quit on a different styled course.  Anyhow, best of luck.  Let me know when you complete it.  Originally, the P Switch jumps were later in the course, but then the P Switch bridge was active so long, the bridge itself wasn't a challenge anymore.  With them at the front of the course, it's really tight to get on and off the bridge before it deactivates.  You have to be jumping off already before you get to the edge of it, because it won't be there anymore.

After seeing that the course had been attempted over 1,500 times since uploading it, I did a quick Google search of "Great Hall of Bowser" to see if my course had been shared somewhere on the internet.  Sure enough, a SMM2 player and course creator, LunyRem, uploaded a video to her YouTube channel of her completing the course as she does with many other courses she has played.  It's only been viewed around 40 times, but it has been commented on by some other SMM2 players/speedrunners.  So, it may have potentially driven some traffic this way, which has been a very pleasant surprise.  And, it was pretty cool to see a playthrough of one of my courses on YouTube.  Here's the video if anyone wants to check it and see the full course.

Great Hall of Bowser 30 sec SR - Super Mario Maker 2 SUPER EXPERT Level Showcase

Super Mario Maker 2 Nintendo Switch

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

New course uploaded recently.  Having reached the milestone of 1,000 total Likes received as a creator so close to Christmas Day, I decided to create a course in the theme of Christmas that would also double as a celebration of the achievement.  Nothing complicated here, but fair warning, if you wander into the toy line of Santa's Workshop, you will find yourself recruited as a permanent toy maker elf.  Each house contains a Christmas Card by the tree with Holiday wishes for 6 SMM2 players and creators that have supported my work, for a total of 24 in all.  Thanks for all of your comments and support in the game!

Original Concepts:

Merry Christmas 1K Likes Special

Course ID: V1G-LRR-6PG

Description:  Embrace the giving spirit of Christmas by delivering gifts to your fellow Super Mario Maker 2 players and creators.  Start off at the North Pole with a tour through Santa's Workshop.  Then, take off in Santa's Sleigh and fly over to a nearby village.  Enter the houses through the chimneys and fill the base of the Christmas tree's with gifts.  Pass by a snowball fight at the edge of town before hopping back in Santa's Sleigh for a return to the North Pole.  This course was also uploaded in celebration of reaching the milestone of 1,000 Likes as a creator.

Played By: 28

Clears: 12

Attempts: 56

Clear Rate: 21.42%

First Clear:  Bradilaya

World Record: 1:05.066 (3 Amigos)

Uploaded: 12/18/2020

Special Note.  I recently deleted 2 courses from my uploaded course list.  Both courses contained unintended exploits that allowed the majority of the course to be skipped to the flagpole without actually playing through the course itself.  I didn't recognize these exploits until seeing the insanely short world record times being posted.  The most egregious of these was seeing my course "Greatest Hits: The 700 Series" beaten in 3 seconds.  The problem here was the direct result of my using a semisolid as part of Mario's house on the opening screen to provide a partial background behind the bricks and windows of the house as I have done on all my course with the "Mario Plays NES" theme.  Unfortunately, since this course needed to be combined with Mario Maker Kart Quadruple Dash, the Koopa Car requires the 3D World theme to be used.  And in 3D World, there is only 1 variation of semisolid, and it does not allow for anything to cover over the top layer of the semisolid rendering it a permanently exposed section.  Not thinking this through, I simply placed the bricks of Mario's house above and below this layer.  This left a small Mario sized gap that was able to be used to pass directly through Mario's house to the Warp Box that was intended to be used from the Flagpole jump at the end of the Super Mario Bros 1-1 section of Mario Plays NES Games to the back of Mario's house to obtain the Koopa Car for warping to the Mario Maker Kart Quadruple Dash section of the course.  In essence, this resulted in the course being able to be beaten in 3 seconds by passing directly through Mario's house on the opening screen and warping straight to the now open Flagpole jump.  I left it as is for a while, but once I started tracking more statistics in this thread, it never looked right as the "fastest World Record" among my courses, since the entire course itself was being skipped.  So, I decided to take the course down and tweak the design of Mario's house, so that the exploit was removed.  The course has now been reuploaded and I have updated the Course ID and Stats in the Op to reflect the Reuploaded version.  The fastest World Record mark among my courses has therefore reverted to the 0.13.194 mark set by ★Lime★ on Defend Yoshi's Island (50s). 

The 2nd course that I removed for a similar reason was the "7 Labors of Hercules".  I have done the necessary tweaks to the course and will reupload it after the New Year.  Apologies to anyone who used the exploits to previously defeat or speedrun either of these course.  I hope that you will return to complete the intended paths.

Course ID: 8VK-75B-9GG

*This course was taken down to remove an exploit that allowed the player to pass through the roof of Mario's house and transport directly to the Flagpole without actually playing any of the course.  Course ID and Stats have been updated to the reuploaded version.

Played By: 7

Attempts: 29

Clear Rate: 6.89%

First Clear:  Se7h

World Record: 3:01.098 (tangmaru)

Uploaded:  12/28/2020

Special Note - The 2nd course that I had mentioned temporarily deleting, "7 Labors of Hercules", has been updated and reuploaded.  I redesigned the City Wall Tower at the end of the course which has a Locked Door necessary to pass through to reach the Flagpole and complete the course.  In the original upload, I foolishly used bricks down the center of the Tower which crafty players easily exploited to break through to the flagpole without completing the Red Coin challenges to create the required Key.  

7 Labors of Hercules

Course ID: L0M-X25-GWG

Description:   The Golden Apples of the Hesperides (Red Coins) have been scattered across ancient Greece.  King Eurystheus tasks Hercules to reacquire the apples in order to gain entry to the city of Mycenae and continue on his legendary journeys.  7 Golden Apples were stolen, and so 7 "Labors" must be completed to regain them. 

*This course was taken down to remove an exploit that allowed the player to break through the City Gate Tower at the end of the course to reach the Flagpole without completing all of the courses challenges required to create the intended Key for the locked door.  Course ID and Stats have been updated to the reuploaded version.

Played By: 8

Attempts: 37

Clear Rate: 2.70%

First Clear:  Se7h

World Record: 17:26.134 (Se7h)

Uploaded: 1/2/2021

New course uploaded over the weekend.  This is another retro inspired recreation.  This time, I attempted to recreate the classic arcade and early console game, "Frogger".  Just like in my Pac-Man Arcade Deluxe course, I again used the Super Mario World underwater theme and Frog Suit.  This aids both with vertical screen navigation, and also stays on theme with crossing the river and playing as "Frogger".  I used semisolids to represent the highway and riverbank.  I placed enemies on tracks that run back and forth across the highway.  After the riverbank, there are more tracks with both "logs" and more enemies running back and forth.  The biggest alteration is that Frogger does not get harmed by touching the water when not on the logs (because the whole level is water!).  So, in addition to the obstacles moving back and forth, I also put scatter some spike traps in the river.  There are 5 homebays.  4 of the homebays have red key coins in them, as well as new Frog Suit in case you took damage along the way.  These homebays have a One Way Wall across them to keep the Frog Suit from floating into the river.  One of the homebays also has a locked door in it, so save that for last.  The locked door takes you back to the start where an On/Off Block is now accessible.  This opens the previously blocked pipe in the center homebay that leads to the You Win screen at the end of the course.  As far as recreations go, I'm very satisfied with how this one turned out, and it has gotten some nice feedback already. 

Frogger

Course ID: 9JL-BLK-XKF

Description:  Guide 5 Froggers across a busy highway to reach the riverbank.  From the river, cross floating logs while avoiding hazards to safely reach the homebays.

Played By: 18

Clears: 11

Attempts: 36

Clear Rate: 30.55%

First Clear:  Luigi05

World Record: 0:21.001 (Se7h)

Uploaded: 1/9/2021