IGNORED

USB INTV Controller?

3 hours ago, Player One said:

Yes. The flashback controllers are great. I prefer them to the originals. They're almost identical but the side buttons are rubber instead of plastic which I find more comfortable.

Awesome!   I was hoping that would be the case as the Atari 2600 controllers that came with my Flashback 2 are noticeably better than the originals as the newer ones use rubber membranes instead of those weird metal dome contacts.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, SegaSnatcher said:

Awesome!   I was hoping that would be the case as the Atari 2600 controllers that came with my Flashback 2 are noticeably better than the originals as the newer ones use rubber membranes instead of those weird metal dome contacts.

If you have 2600 original joysticks, then they can be upgraded with tactile switches - very responsive

https://osgeld.fwscart.com/CX-40_Atari_2600_Tactile_Switch_Drop_In_Replacement_PCB/p5988195_19269795.aspx

As discussed here:

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Player One said:

Yes. The flashback controllers are great. I prefer them to the originals. They're almost identical but the side buttons are rubber instead of plastic which I find more comfortable.

Original intellivision side buttons are rubber, just a little stiff.  Might have gotten stiffer over time.  Flashback side buttons stick out a little more than the originals; the way I hold the controller they sometimes get unintentionally pressed with my palm.

The flashback controller also lacks the rounding on the plastic edge surrounding the disc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SegaSnatcher said:

Does that require soldering of the wires?

no

The wires in the cable use an odd connector (if that is what you want to call it) that simply slides on to the board.  More like a press-fit.

Each wire is connected individually, but be mindful that the connector can be broken, and if you break it then you will need to solder that particular wire to the board - or use a different joystick or replace the cable.

• Like 2

yea the atari 2600 controllers use a, dunno how to really describe it, its usually the female side that would plug into a tab, but they have been bent out and slide onto the board sideways so like fdr4prez said unless you break a connector off its solder free

so when handling the connectors its best to grab them by the body or neck and not the super thin wire, and especially when removing them try not to let them "pop" off the board (which yanks the wire) 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, mr_me said:

Original intellivision side buttons are rubber, just a little stiff.  Might have gotten stiffer over time.  Flashback side buttons stick out a little more than the originals; the way I hold the controller they sometimes get unintentionally pressed with my palm.

The flashback controller also lacks the rounding on the plastic edge surrounding the disc.

The side buttons on my childhood Intellivision I were always pretty stiff, whatever the material, making for some sore thumbs after heavy use of the action buttons.

5 minutes ago, SegaSnatcher said:

I have the Atari Flashback 2 which is a pretty decent.  How's the emulation on the INTV Flashback?

The Atari FB2 is neat in that you can add a cartridge port and play using real Atari 2600 carts

https://archive.is/20130117160348/http://atarimuseum.com/fb2hacks/

But there is a cart compatibility chart floating around.  There are various posts in the Atari Systems > Dedicated Systems subforum and the Atgames Flaskback and Portable Consoles subforum about this hack.

In regards to the emulation used in the Intellivision Flashback, I can't rightly speak about it.  I got mine, played Space Spartans a few times and then I rebuilt it with a Raspberry Pi.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, SegaSnatcher said:

I have the Atari Flashback 2 which is a pretty decent.  How's the emulation on the INTV Flashback?

Emulation is a bit hit-or-miss. The colors and graphics are pretty solid. (Note below.) The sound isn't quite right - the famous razz isn't right, and some games like SNAFU don't sound quite right either.

Unfortunately, there's a bug that breaks Tower of Doom and perhaps other games. In Tower of Doom, collision detection doesn't work at all. So although you can start the game and begin walking around the dungeon, you can't fight any monsters or pick up any items.

It all depends on which of the games you are playing, and how familiar you are with the originals. If you causally played in the system's heyday, and rarely since, it'll be fine to fire up classics like Astrosmash, et. al. If you have an ear for sound, or are a big fan who has never stayed away too long and rigorously try out all the games, you'll find occasional disappointments.

In a couple games (Hover Force comes to mind) the video was a little blurrier than I expected, but I don't think that's necessarily the emulation - could be the hardware platform.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SegaSnatcher said:

I would rate it as disappointing at best.  Compared to the Atari flashback units, the emulation fell short on Intellivision.  It was worth buying to get the hand controllers and neat case to convert into a Retropie unit.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1