IGNORED

Intellivision HSC Season 12 - Game 10 - Space Hawk

[Intellivision HSC Season 12]

(Game 10)

Space Hawk

Mattel-Space-Hawk.jpg

Space Hawk by Mattel Electronics 1981/82

You're equipped with a jetpack for directional avoidance control, a blaster for protection and 5 force shields.

space_hawk.gif

ROM Download Link

https://www.romnation.net/srv/roms/21611/intellivision/Space-Hawk-1981-Mattel.html

High Score Club Record

NONE YET

Game Setting

ANY SKILL SETTING (FIRST TIME AT HSC)

Contest Ends
SUNDAY MAY 10TH 11:59PM EST

(HIGH SCORES)

1.  5,123,880 mr_me  [+11]

2.  1,253,420 Ace24  [+10]

3.  1,040,030 BiffMan  [+9]

4.  308,700 Intelligentleman  [+7]

5.  264,080 gezkc  [+6]

6.  253,160 JasonlikesINTV  [+5]

7.  163,300 IntyFanMatt  [+4]

8.  120,250 JacobZu7zu7  [+3]

9.  118,870 cmadruga  [+2]

10.  18,400 S.BAZ  [+1]

11.  8,340 wolfy62  [+1]

12.  5,900 roadrunner  [+1]

13.  4,040 fakecortex  [+1]

Rankings

1. BiffMan [+70]

2. gezkc [+66]

3. IntyFanMatt [+48]

4. cmadruga [+47]

5. JacobZu7zu7 [+43]

5. JasonlikesINTV [+43]

7. mr_me [+35]

7. wolfy62 [+35]

9. cparsely [+31]

10. Ace24 [+29]

11. dpisicane [+27]

12. Player One [+23]

13. jblenkle [+17]

14. fakecortex [+16]

15. m-crew [+13]

16. Intelligentleman [+12]

17. Intellfan [+10]

18. hoosierdadee78 [+7]

19. roadrunner [+5]

19. ed1475 [+5]

21. S.BAZ [+3]

22. t0spmad [+2]

22. Mister-VCS [+2]

Games Won

3 - BiffMan (Atlantis - Demon Attack - Mission X  - Auto Racing)

2 - mr_me (Lock 'N Chase - Tron Deadly Discs)

2 - gezkc (Burgertime - Auto Racing)

1 - cmadruga  (Tron Deadly Discs speed 1)

1 - cparsley (Mouse Trap)

1 - IntyFanMatt (Frogger)

Edited by JacobZu7zu7
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, BiffMan said:

Oooh... Been over 30 years for me on this one. I'm probably remembering incorrectly, but isn't this one pretty much playable indefinitely? I seem to recall the difficulty plateaus... Guess we'll find out! ?

Sort of an Astroid-like shooter, I played it around 10 yrs ago ... its fun from what I recall, dont remember how to play ... but thats what the manual is for :D

Intellivision has best game boxes, along with Odyssey2, with opening like a book to put the manual and game away. Storing is easy for these two classic consoles.

Odyssey 2 was the first system I ever played before Atari.  

• Like 4

Yas! I played the heck out of this back around November / December. Finally got to a point where I just needed to quit because we were going to my sisters house for dinner. I probably could have played it for as long as I wanted. Lol. Fun game! I'm back in for this one.

Also, I use two controllers on this one because I find it more comfortable for some reason 

Edited by Intelligentleman
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, wolfy62 said:

Is Mouse Trap gone?

Oh good,its safe to come back now !!!?

I wonder if my dual action controller would work on this game?

No worries guys,even if it does I remember I suck at this game.?

Gone for now, but we'll never truly be safe... 

Not sure dual action would benefit much on this one since keypad isn't all that necessary compared to something like Cloudy Mountain or Deadly Discs. 

Space Hawk is an excellent choice for HSC.  Not one I would usually spend much time with, but really different mechanics and a learning curve. Blistered my thumb already, but loving it! ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, BiffMan said:

Gone for now, but we'll never truly be safe... 

Not sure dual action would benefit much on this one since keypad isn't all that necessary compared to something like Cloudy Mountain or Deadly Discs. 

Space Hawk is an excellent choice for HSC.  Not one I would usually spend much time with, but really different mechanics and a learning curve. Blistered my thumb already, but loving it! ?

I do remember Space Hawk being fun for a while. I probably shelved it for another new game back in the 80s,and my friends and I were playing so many 2 player sports games I probably didn't have much time for it.

I do now!??

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, IntyFanMatt said:

That was some hard thumb killing work.
mr_me I don’t know how you got over a half million. Do you still own thumbs?  Lol

7370AC3D-2C2A-4FFB-98F5-11DFD1B0BC40.jpeg

Slow clap. But that's why I refuse to play on anything other than auto fire. It changes the whole flow of the game to do it this way... Matching the trajectory of the space hawks And getting in front of them  becomes the main mechanic. You do that first then take your time making shots. As you fall in place.

That said, I don't see myself ever besting mr_me's score 

Edited by Intelligentleman

3 minutes ago, Intelligentleman said:

Slow clap. But that's why I refuse to play on anything other than auto fire. It changes the whole flow of the game to do it this way... Matching the trajectory of the space hawks And getting in front of them  becomes the main mechanic. You do that first then take your time making shots. As you fall in place.

That said, I don't see myself ever besting mr_me's score 

I’m not sure what you mean by you “refuse to play on anything other than auto fire”.  What is the difference? I switched between the two. I played with the different kinds of mechanics, still not sure what’s better. All I know is my thumbs are throbbing.

4 minutes ago, IntyFanMatt said:

I’m not sure what you mean by you “refuse to play on anything other than auto fire”.  What is the difference? I switched between the two. I played with the different kinds of mechanics, still not sure what’s better. All I know is my thumbs are throbbing.

Oh, sorry, I just assumed that the reason your thumbs were throbbing was from jamming on the side button to fire the blaster. Sorry for the confusion! ?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Intelligentleman said:

Oh, sorry, I just assumed that the reason your thumbs were throbbing was from jamming on the side button to fire the blaster. Sorry for the confusion! ?

No prob!!  Yes I did that a lot of the time. Plus the thruster button. Just playing around with different options. I do think it might be easier to stay alive by using the “direct” option rather than drift. 

Edited by IntyFanMatt

3 minutes ago, IntyFanMatt said:

No prob!!  Yes I did that a lot of the time. Plus the thruster button. Just playing around with different options. I do think it might be easier to stay alive by using the “direct” option rather than drift. 

I know this doesn't make sense, but I like playing this one with two controllers. Left thumb steers the "ship" on the left controller. Right thumb fires the thruster. Blaster is on auto. 

With this configuration, I feel like the flow of the game changes. Navigation and thrust is greatly improved, shot timing is negatively affected. The most important thing when playing this way is to always lean on navigation instead of offensive accuracy.

• Like 1