IGNORED

Intellivision HSC Season 12 - Game 10 - Space Hawk

1 minute ago, Intelligentleman said:

I know this doesn't make sense, but I like playing this one with two controllers. Left thumb steers the "ship" on the left controller. Right thumb fires the thruster. Blaster is on auto. 

With this configuration, I feel like the flow of the game changes. Navigation and thrust is greatly improved, shot timing is negatively affected. The most important thing when playing this way is to always lean on navigation instead of offensive accuracy.

I think that’s a pretty cool way to play, and sounds like it takes more skill to do it that way. I may try it just for fun next time.  It’s a good idea!

30 minutes ago, IntyFanMatt said:

That was some hard thumb killing work.
mr_me I don’t know how you got over a half million. Do you still own thumbs?  Lol

I use my fingers to fire and thrust.  It takes three shots to kill a hawk, I mostly ignore everything else.  I don't think auto-fire helps; I consider it a bit of a cheat anyway.  I can't imagine why anyone would use direct drive over drift.  It makes tracking the hawks much more difficult and the game less fun.  The default settings are best.  Having said that, the guy with the world record on twin galaxies used direct drive and auto-fire.  He would have done it quicker using drift.

My game was about an hour; my hands weren't the problem in my case.   I figure there would be people here running the same game over several days with scores in the millions.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, mr_me said:

I use my fingers to fire and thrust.  It takes three shots to kill a hawk, I mostly ignore everything else.  I don't think auto-fire helps; I consider it a bit of a cheat anyway.  I can't imagine why anyone would use direct drive over drift.  It makes tracking the hawks much more difficult and the game less fun.  The default settings are best.  Having said that, the guy with the world record on twin galaxies used direct drive and auto-fire.  He would have done it quicker using drift.

My game was about an hour; my hands weren't the problem in my case.   I figure there would be people here running the same game over several days with scores in the millions.

To me, so far, I feel like I can avoid death much easier using direct drive. It enables faster escapes. But I’ll keep trying the different options and see what happens. I think your score is pretty safe though. 

• Like 2

The different options in this are impressive. Another forgotten game development idea: let the audience decide how to play!  If you're on the fence in testing about whether to go with drifting or direct thrust, why not leave both in?  ?

That said, anyone who doesn't play in drift mode is a masochist.  ?

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, IntyFanMatt said:

They should make some kind of thumb protector to slide over your thumb to play Intellivision games.  I would totally buy it!

Yeah, I wasn't kidding when I said this game blistered my thumb, but my disc thumb, not my firing thumb. I used to have a significant callous there, but have apparently grown soft with age. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BiffMan said:

Yeah, I wasn't kidding when I said this game blistered my thumb, but my disc thumb, not my firing thumb. I used to have a significant callous there, but have apparently grown soft with age. 

My disc thumb does get a workout. Sometimes I find myself pushing it harder than I really need to because I get so into it.

9 hours ago, Intelligentleman said:

My disc thumb does get a workout. Sometimes I find myself pushing it harder than I really need to because I get so into it.

Absolutely! HSC is going to make me track down replacement controllers (or thumbs) before long... Damn you, @JacobZu7zu7 !! 

?

• Haha 4

If you're disc thumb hurts you might be pressing too hard.  Careful, that's how the controller flex circuits can wear out.  Easy for me to say, as I haven't tried playing for 12+ hours straight.  But if I did, my disc thumb wouldn't bother me, my fingers probably would.

Edited by mr_me
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, mr_me said:

If you're disc thumb hurts you might be pressing too hard.  Careful, that's how the controller flex circuits can wear out.  Easy for me to say, as I haven't tried playing for 12+ hours straight.  But if I did, my disc thumb wouldn't bother me, my fingers probably would.

Oh, I'm absolutely pressing harder than I need to.  It's the bit about *not* pressing hard that's tricky.  ?

I just had 280K and about 34 hunters and my screen went black - game crashed. I’ll have to do it again to prove it but I can’t start again now. I played Space Hawk a lot for a few weeks after I got it in 1982 then seldom after that. It’s reasonably fun but it takes too long to play. 

Edited by Ace24
Spelling
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

48 minutes ago, Ace24 said:

I just had 280K and about 34 hunters and my screen went black - game crashed. I’ll have to do it again to prove it but I can’t start again now. I played Space Hawk a lot for a few weeks after I got it in 1982 then seldom after that. It’s reasonably fun but it takes too long too play. 

That's good enough for me but I don't know what the official stance is.

1 hour ago, Ace24 said:

I just had 280K and about 34 hunters and my screen went black - game crashed. I’ll have to do it again to prove it but I can’t start again now. I played Space Hawk a lot for a few weeks after I got it in 1982 then seldom after that. It’s reasonably fun but it takes too long too play. 

The game is easy enough that you can do it in your first go.  Maybe about forty minutes.