IGNORED

Intellivision HSC Season 12 - Game 10 - Space Hawk

Had fun, but that's enough of that... ?

disc, auto fire, drift, quick, Flashback controller, jzintv

It's good to play this once every 35+ years to remind myself why I only play this once every 35+ years... 

20200505_182116.jpg

• Haha 4

25 minutes ago, BiffMan said:

Had fun, but that's enough of that... ?

disc, auto fire, drift, quick, Flashback controller, jzintv

It's good to play this once every 35+ years to remind myself why I only play this once every 35+ years... 

20200505_182116.jpg

Wow sweet!  Yeah I’m definitely done with this one. No desire to play this again. 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, wolfy62 said:

I put my Intellivision  down for a little over a week because my Wife wanted me to pay more attention to her.

Ok enough of that. Hooray,time to play Space Hawk and Space Armada!!!??

HAHA but from the looks of it, these are not the best games to be coming back to.

Edited by fakecortex
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Intelligentleman said:

I’m really kinda surprised by the disdain for Space Hawk. I rather like it 

I quite enjoyed my game, I just feel very little need to play it again. Definitely needs a little something extra in the later game. 

• Like 1

On 4/27/2020 at 5:46 PM, BiffMan said:

Oooh... Been over 30 years for me on this one. I'm probably remembering incorrectly, but isn't this one pretty much playable indefinitely? I seem to recall the difficulty plateaus... Guess we'll find out! ?

Pretty much.

5C1FE404-9783-4097-845C-281378C54866.jpeg

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Ace24 said:

I gave up after 1.25 million. Original hardware, auto fire, direct drive, quick aiming and a little over 3 hours.

223DE80C-51D1-4C2F-85D0-8D3C7016F411.jpeg

Wow, wow, WOW!!!  You win the endurance award for sure!  165 lives left!  That reminds me of Astrosmash… once you get into the groove and are sustainable, you can play as long as you like.  

Even though I hate to play, I guess I should go back and try direct drive.  I didn't think it was survivable once stuff starts getting fast, but you certainly disproved that notion!  ?

19 minutes ago, Ace24 said:

I gave up after 1.25 million. Original hardware, auto fire, direct drive, quick aiming and a little over 3 hours.

223DE80C-51D1-4C2F-85D0-8D3C7016F411.jpeg

Holy crap!  Do you still have thumbs?  Direct drive is killer on the thumbs but I think it's best to maneuver and stay alive with.

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, BiffMan said:

Wow, wow, WOW!!!  You win the endurance award for sure!  165 lives left!  That reminds me of Astrosmash… once you get into the groove and are sustainable, you can play as long as you like.  

Even though I hate to play, I guess I should go back and try direct drive.  I didn't think it was survivable once stuff starts getting fast, but you certainly disproved that notion!  ?

Endurance, boredom and time willing to spend are the limiting factors. It’d be much better with arcade type buttons for the thrust and fire. I’d rather use single shot instead of auto fire. But that’s too much button pushing for me with the limitations of the controller setup.

OK, I thought I'd give this another try as perhaps I was being a bit too hasty in my judgment before. 

It's actually quite fun once you get used to it. I can't get on with drifting, so I switched to direct drive and that made a big difference for me.

My hand is absolutely crippled now though (I don't know how you guys who are good at this manage to play it so long!).

Still not great, but at least my score's not quite as embarrassing as before! ? 

DSC_0224.JPG

• Like 4

I don't understand how you guys can catch a space hawk without drift mode, the default settings are also the programmer's recommended settings.

I like Space Hawk, it's my second favourite space network cartridge after Space Battle.  The game is too easy I usually stop playing when I get to the rainbow bubbles.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mr_me said:

I don't understand how you guys can catch a space hawk without drift mode, the default settings are also the programmer's recommended settings.

I like Space Hawk, it's my second favourite space network cartridge after Space Battle.  The game is too easy I usually stop playing when I get to the rainbow bubbles.

I didn't find it hard to catch a hawk in direct mode at all.  In fact, I found it much easier to maneuver that way, and it made aiming easier.

Edited by IntyFanMatt
  • Like 1

The space hawks don't change direction too much and end up flying at a constant speed and direction.  It's much easier and much more fun to chase them and match their speed in drift mode.  Otherwise you're creating extra work for yourself.  Yes, it's tougher to avoid a collision when you have all that momentum but saving lives is not the priority in this game.  You can kill more space hawks and score more points per hour in drift mode,

Edited by mr_me

2 hours ago, mr_me said:

The space hawks don't change direction too much and end up flying at a constant speed and direction.  It's much easier and much more fun to chase them and match their speed in drift mode.  Otherwise you're creating extra work for yourself.  Yes, it's tougher to avoid a collision when you have all that momentum but saving lives is not the priority in this game.  You can kill more space hawks and score more points per hour in drift mode,

To each his own. As you can see, there is a score over 1.2 million posted here using direct drive. 

Edited by IntyFanMatt
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, mr_me said:

I kinda want to see the math behind this. Not saying it isn't true.