IGNORED

Intellivision HSC Season 12 - Game 10 - Space Hawk

OK finally sat down with the manual, tested out all the control variations, and got to sink some quality time into Space Hawk. The scoring system is neat and I like how it gives you your peak score, so that you're not entirely screwed when you dip. I can see how people can play for a long time here, I'm just not at that level right now.

4,040 disc speed (fastest)/direct drive/smooth aiming/single shot mostly

1172697901_SpaceHawk2020-05-0911_34_45.thumb.png.906eaff780416f16cb6404687aeec99d.png

• Like 3

5 hours ago, BiffMan said:

Tiny improvement over your original score... 

Haha! Yes, a little bit better. 

I couldn't get anywhere with drift control and really felt like giving up. Direct drive works much better for me and makes the game much more enjoyable - if it wasn't for the repetitive strain injury, I'd still be playing it now! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 5/7/2020 at 9:27 PM, Intelligentleman said:

I really do enjoy falling into orbit with a space hawk and then just picking away at it leisurely. As long as you stay ahead of it, it can't really hurt you. Also, once  there are three attack blobs on screen, the space hawk won't deploy anymore.

Absolutely more fun for me that way too, and that's the mode I'll use in 2055 when I next play again. Can't deny how much higher scoring it is in direct mode, even though it saddens me to admit. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, BiffMan said:

Peak score 1,040,030 - disc speed, single shot, direct mode (grrrr), quick aiming, no pause, done with game for another 35 years. 

20200510_003650.jpg

Nice!

I don't know how you guys can play it for so long though. My elbow and thumb were killing me after reaching just a quarter of your score! 

I can understand why drift mode might be more fun, but I couldn't get the hang of constantly fighting the momentum. Trying to change direction is much easier with direct mode. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, gezkc said:

I can understand why drift mode might be more fun, but I couldn't get the hang of constantly fighting the momentum. Trying to change direction is much easier with direct mode. 

In drift mode, you don't try to kill every enemy, you just wait until one is heading your general direction, try to get in front of it, or parallel and wail away on it. I definitely don't try to reverse 180 degrees on them, a 90 degree change is about the most I would bother with. 

Mostly just more relaxing/interesting and allows to to concentrate on aiming and firing while moving instead of constantly thrusting spastically all over the place. 

For me, drift mode makes the game feel a little unique, direct mode feels bland and frustrates me that I can't thrust and fire at the same time. 

• Like 2

My one and only play of this one...

Playing it again after so many years reminded me that when I was a kid, I thought there was one really cool thing about this game... and that would be all the extra "running man" animation frames I did not see in any other games. 

22430102_IMG_1887(1).thumb.jpg.1592aa13f06b305a0f1430e284d2b90e.jpg

Edited by cmadruga
  • Like 5

58 minutes ago, Intelligentleman said:

I'm torn. I want to try direct drive to see if I can get a higher score. But I genuinely enjoy playing on drift mode.

Play direct mode for score, and drift for fun. Personally, I'm going to pretend direct mode doesn't exist unless I'm playing for competition ?

2 hours ago, mr_me said:

Disc speed, drift, autofire

Intellivision hardware

IMG_20200510_200736.thumb.jpg.7ad09fea0dc79742f327ca3500fbdd4d.jpg

I started this game in the morning and played it off and on through the day.

Quitter! Gotta at least play until you get to 32mil and see if it rolls over at the same place Astrosmash does ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2